[AUS]: '82 XZ550 Rebuild Thread.

Started by chrisw, August 01, 2009, 11:06:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Moffet

Quote from: chrisw on September 22, 2009, 08:01:02 PM
and the tyre sizes are 120/90 and 100/90 for reference :P

That's what I run on my 1983 Vision.  Metzlers to be exact.

Brian

Kid Jedi

I tried those on my 82 and she felt really sluggish. going to run 90/90 on the front and 100/90 on the rear, but might be stick with 4.0
Loves to over think things.

chrisw

Mine will have new tyres. Most likely a set of medium compound Shinko's (I love em, except for the wet performance)

either that or scrounge around the shops here for a set of pirelli's

At the moment its running a metzeler front and a brigestone rear. rear is great, but 4 years old. I'd rather not tempt fate.

Night Vision

I had one of those Bridgestone Spitfire 120/90's... that's a big tire regardless of the numbers
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

chrisw

Rick G

Actually, you have the right fork leg assembly on the left side and visa versa.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

chrisw

Through the fantastic power of an Olympus borescope I have had a good long inspection of the combustion chambers of the XZ550 engine while its out of the bike. Saving a full strip down this is a great method of inspecting the guts of the beast and it only takes a few minutes.

my conclusions of the 42 000km old engine;

1. Its VERY clean, slight oil discoloration as expected but NO coking, NO buildup soot or carbon, its amazingly clean and smooth.

2. NO scoring or damage to the bores / pistons / heads / valves.

3. Everything just looks well.... amazing. the piston design suprised me, a very odd looking domed piston.

The engine basically looks just run in, not 42 000km old! im very impressed.

Kid Jedi

did you plastigauge anything? did you check the actual bore diameter?

chrisw

well, im sure its well worn, but im talking about the visual inspection :) as per the previous reply I haven't actually stripped it down (and been able to measure). but from the funky borescope with awesome levels of macro viewing power, it looks ALOT better than expected. I was expecting a coked up worn out engine with rust and crud everywhere.

chrisw

So I've been busy with work lately, that might change soon as im REALLY after a career change with less stress and more family/friends time, the money isn't great with the current job anyways.

so I had 2 hours spare as I was doing some housework today (removing garbage to the tip to be precise, after 6 bike projects, there was over 90KG of rubbish parts!

just some paint and assembly, not put back together properly, just placed on softly. Still needs to be clearcoated and buffed all over, and no, I haven't fixed those forks yet :P

How it started...

Current State

Next bit to tackle!

chrisw

the PURPLE REIGN ... i mean XZ550 is getting there *cough prince cough*

Kid Jedi

hey if prince doesn't have to figure out his gender than neither does your bike!

:D

I think the purple looks really nice with the black swing arm, and the silver motor be a great accent. I think it will come together great

funkamongus

I do too.. You should polish those rims too!!! and the fork lowers!!!
I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!