Real bad R/R...

Started by Tiger, August 02, 2009, 11:16:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiger

:) I was getting "The Mistress" ready for next weeks ride, out to Night_Vision's in Syracuse...Changed out the four year old coolant, drain/flush/refill... drained the engine oil, filter change and refill with new filter and fresh oil, etc, etc.

Kev10104 came over with Tammy, (his wife) so we did an oil/filter change and refill, as well as a coolant drain/flush/refill...the coolant has been in there for an unknown period ::)

Now, Kev's "V" has been showing signs of a malfunction in the charging system for a few weeks!!! Start her up and she would be in/around 12.5 volts...wind up to 3,000 rpm and still 12.5 volts!!...then she would jump up to 14.3/4/5'ish!!!

Soooooo, after doing his oil and coolant, I fired up his "V" to "burp" the system and check for any leaks...A plume of acrid smoke was suddenly coming from the battery box area and the volts had jumped up to 17+ :o :o Switched of, removed the covers and the battery to find that the R/R was seconds away from doing a flame out!!!!! Once removed from the back of the battery box, you could see a burn mark had appeared on the rear of the stator and it stank, PHEW!!!
A bracket was made and the "new" R/R was fitted to the left rear footrest bolt. The wires were extended, as required and hard wired together...and all new male and female bullet connectors were fitted in place of the original white plastic connections. ALL these connectors come with translucent heat shrink, with an adhesive applied to the inside, (I sell them to trucking and industry). Once she was all reconnected, I fired her up and we now have 14.5 out put.

We took the Visions out for a wee run to check all was well with both and then headed to Swiss Chalet, in Orangeville, for supper...Thanks for picking up the tab Kev, I really enjoyed the meal and the company too 8)

8)......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

kwells

think I'd be more inclined to put a high output computer fan on it......you think it was just a matter of connections?
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Tiger

Quote from: kwells on August 02, 2009, 11:28:31 PM
......you think it was just a matter of connections?

:-\ I don't think so as all the white oem plug connections were fine or, at least, looked fine.

However, I cut them all off when reconfiguring/connecting the replacement R/R.

On "The Mistress" and all my rebuilds, I put the R/R on an outside bracket...and have had no comebacks...thus far ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

Lucky

If any of you remember Glen with the low mile 83 (pic in the gallery, long since sold) he got a R/R from Electrex theat just over a year after we installed it, & thus out of warrenty, literally melted out the backside. a big gooy mess.  they had him send it back but never gave him credit for it (too bad, i wanted to see what was inside...)  catastrophic things do happen to 'em....

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Tiger

Quote from: Lucky on August 03, 2009, 08:23:06 AM
...(too bad, i wanted to see what was inside...)  catastrophic things do happen to 'em....

:-\ You want this one to dissect Lucky ??? Your welcome to it buddy...

8).......TIGER....... 8)

kev10104

I was so lucky to be at Tiger's house when it happened.I almost went on Fiddlesticks ride but didn't want to hold them up because I was running late.So I decided to say hi to Tiger and as luck would have it we had smoke and a lovely smell.Thanks again for your help Tiger and as always we enjoyed your company as well.Do you guys need a loan after Cathy's shopping excursion?Lol.

Lucky

Glens was filled with some type of rubber epoxy, & would have been easy to melt out. if it's the plastic epoxy, forget it, all the compomnents would be toast with the temps required to remove it...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Night Vision

when we went to buy my bother's vision "CherryBomb", the owner said he let the smoke outta something and the bike wouldn't start.....

I knew I didn't want to diagnose his problem, it might be something simple and an easy fix would negate the barganing leverage.....

got her home, my brother left, I took the battery box out and saw that the R&R fins had melted the wiring.... replaced the R&R and a couple minutes later, she was up an running....

Kev, start looking for a backup... some of the virago R&R's have the same wiring
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

funkamongus

yes,, like my 82 920 virago.. it interchanged with the vision,,plug n play.
I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

kev10104