New Zealand XZ ride to 2009 Burt Munro Challenge 27-29 Nov

Started by kiwibum, August 02, 2009, 11:52:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kiwibum

OK lets organise a Kiwi XZ get together. I'm looking at riding down to the Burt Munro Challenge in Invercargill which is on from 27 to 29 Nov and Rohan in Christchurch is keen to join me. I'm based in Hamilton now and will ride down meeting up with others on the way with the aim to get their Friday so we can watch the beach racing in the evening. Post a message here if you are keen to join us and where you will be riding from so we can work out the best route to congregate on.

Other riders of non XZ bikes welcome. I may have a couple of other bike friends interested in the ride too.
Thanks.
Steve

jim328

I might be keen if my bike is back on the road. I'm in Christchurch.

The Prophet of Doom

I'm definately in.

For those of you don't know, Burt Munroe was the subject of the film 'World's fastest Indian".  You see the action on youtube here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlfXE75YS2k

PersonFromStatus
Black RarebitChristchurchno reply
GlynAucklandno reply
Hamptoncarmody NelsonKeen - TBC
Hmmmnz WellingtonWaiting on Mrs Hmmmnz to decide
IainChristchurchConfirmed
IPawWellingtonno reply
Jim328ChristchurchKeen - TBC
Kiwi_XZWellingtonno reply
KiwibumHamiltonCan't Come
Kiwi-ChrisWellingtonKeen - TBC
RoroChristchurchConfirmed
ShaneSpringHuntlyCan't come
TreedragonNelsonConfirmed
WolfriderWellingtonno reply

funkamongus

I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

Rick G

Ya, you guys are making me jealous !  Have fun , ride safely!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

treedragon

Now that sounds like a plan!!

I was looking at doing a scenic circuit of the south around then for work purposes so I can likely do a leg or two. I'm in Nelson.

The Prophet of Doom

Just got a PM from Kiwi_Chris...
I am in Wellington and may be able to make the trip if I can get the time off work, I will check it out and come back to you.

This is turning into a real event

hamptoncarmody

Hi Alan from Nelson here, I'll be in if my bike is going. I need to get my charging system sorted first.

GT @ oh.

I dont suppose there is anyone in NZ willing to adopt me? Pease .......I 'm 43    so no diaper changes ......for a while       I will be in Singapore Dec. thru saay March..... I always thought NZ would be a great place to live....... my wifes friend is in the process of trying to become a NZlander.   wish I were smart enough to

iain

The NZ immigration department have just amended the entry rules into New Zealand. You can now be as thick as a plank, as long as you have a truck load of money to invest.

Iain
NZ

GT @ oh.

Kiwi-Chris

Hi,

I'm keen for the ride. My XZ not the flashest so I will need to do some work on it to ensure it actually can go that far without breaking down. I'm in Wellington.

Cheers
Chris
kiwi-chris

ShaneSpring

Hi,
Would love to but my wife is due with our second.
Currently visionless, riding my wifes zzr while she is preggers.
if anyone knows of a 550 for sale let me know.

Shane

The Prophet of Doom

Congratulations.
You would have been welcome on the ZZR. Vision symapathisers are nearly as good company as visionaries.
If you know who has yours, please pass on the invitation.
550s are getting pretty scarce in NZ - last runner I saw for sale was my #3 last year.  Kiwibum seems to attract XZs though.  If anyone can help you locate one it would be him.

kiwibum

Looking good, 4 confirmed 3 keen is a good start. Appears we will be starting off from Hamilton then, didn't realise there were so many XZ'ders in the Waikato region. Yes the XZ550 is a rear breed here, don't know if there were any released here originally. All the ones I have appear to have come from Australia in the mid eighties, although can't confirm that at the moment as they are stored round the country.

Don't worry about the condition of your bike, as long as it is road worthy we are good to go. I'll be riding my best one (the one that works),  once you see it you will understand the poor condition of the others:-).
Steve

The Prophet of Doom

Have fixed the locations (cut and paste-itis) now you are the only one in the waikato

hmmmnz

hey guys im in wellington,
i doubt i'd be able to make the burt challange on the 400 anyway.... teeething problems still :D
although i dare say me old MZ 500 would be up to the challange,
ill see if the mrs will give me a pass :D
grrrr

kiwibum

I'm sorry to say I have to be an unconfirmed now. Looks like it's going to be a south islanders only ride. I finished my course on Friday and got a 4 week relief teaching position starting last Monday. So now I'll have the money but wont have the time off. Since I haven't had any luck securing a job for next year I'm reluctant to miss out on a weeks pay by going to the challenge.

Please post a trip review to make me even more envious.
Steve

The Prophet of Doom

Hey Steve,
That's a shame would have been great to catch up again.

What do you other guys think?
I'm a bit iffy.  Bike's mostly going but I may be moving in just 3 weeks and could do with that weekend.

What about an meet-up nearer the centre of the country, where the sun actually shines after Christmas?