News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Lights, Camera, Action! New Brake Lights

Started by YellowJacket!, August 04, 2009, 03:43:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowJacket!

YJ has new LED brakelights mounted on the saddle bags.  They are a set of sticky back chrome ringed rectanular LED lights that I jot from J&P Cycles.  While I am a bit disappointed in the overall quality for almost $40.00, they work quite well.  I think I would have been a bit more happy if they were around $20.00, but its hard to tell when you are buying things over the internet.
Anyway, I pulled the tail light harness out and with help from the wiring diagram from Lucky's CD (thanks Pete - you saved me again!), I spliced into the brake light line (yellow) and the ground (black) and determined that they worked as expected.  Not the brightest during the day but good enough.
I had asked opinions in another post about drilling my bags vs doing a spacer to route the wires but in the end decided to drill.  I ended up using the special bit that came with my Gustaffesen windscreen and it drilled two perfect holes. (in retrospect, I think I shold have taken pictures of the whole project but I was trying to beat a thunderstorm - and lost).  I used a level to center them up and make sure they were level and ran the wires through the holes and clipped them to the wiring harness.  Finished it off with some splitloom wire cover and battened everything down.

Heres some pics of the finished work:

Brake Lights off (Ignition was off so my tail light is off too)

Brake Lights on:

The backlighting from the outside makes everything in the pictures appear a bit dim,  but they are sufficiently bright in daylight.

Next project: Finish the wiring for the driving lights.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

h2olawyer

Soon, they'll see you coming & going!  Nothing like projects that make you more visible to all the brain dead cagers out there.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

YellowJacket!

Quote from: h2olawyer on August 04, 2009, 05:03:03 PM
Soon, they'll see you coming & going!  Nothing like projects that make you more visible to all the brain dead cagers out there.

H2O

Was also thinking of some yellow accent LED's that stick mount under the tank.  Will give YJ that "yellow glow" at night.

David

funkamongus

Very nice looking addition.. may literally save your ass too!! Well done.
I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

YellowJacket!