News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

What a little Brake Cleaner can do.

Started by akvision, August 05, 2009, 02:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

akvision

Don't ever that any of these over-the-counter chemicals for granted..  They can be very damaging if pre-caution is not observed.

Read this and Beware. 

http://www.brewracingframes.com/id75.htm

1960 BMW R-50 "Hanz" reborn April 24, 2009 , Ketchikan
1982 "V" AKBluv, Denver, traded for BMW R1100S
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"
1977 BMW R75/7, Green Lantern Cafe Project
Deep In the INSIDE PASSAGE, Alaska

kwells

that's why you buy non-chlorinated brake cleaner.

try mixing ammonia and bleach....good for sinuses.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

YellowJacket!

Quote from: kwells on August 05, 2009, 03:19:55 PM
that's why you buy non-chlorinated brake cleaner.

try mixing ammonia and bleach....good for sinuses.

As a respiratory therapist I have seen the results of that combination all too often.  It is outright deadly.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

funkamongus

dont mix brake fluid and chlorine, either...very powerful and fast burn.
I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

YellowJacket!

phosgene is some bada$$ stuff.  Wasn't it once considered a chemical weapon?

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

jasonm.

what's almost as bad. NOW ALL break cleaners use acetone. Which damages paint and rubber(brake lines). So seriously....try 91% ethyl rubbing achohol. It won't kill you and is cheaper and won't hurt the paint or rubber(much).
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

QBS

AKVision:  Thank your very much for the warning.  An incredible story.

inanecathode

Quote from: YellowJacket! on August 05, 2009, 06:41:11 PM
phosgene is some bada$$ stuff.  Wasn't it once considered a chemical weapon?

David

Not concidered, it was a chemical weapon. Also a fun fact, the old school leak detectors for AC systems, the ones that ingest whatever is at the sniffer and burns it at the other end (that way the flame color changes with a leak) when exposed to r134 (every automotive ac system) will burn it and create phosgene gas. Obviously noone uses those anymore :o
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Tiger

:) Brake and parts cleaner is great for killing Bees/wasps/hornets, etc... :o

Although the company I work for (American) manufactures and sells (to industry/government, etc) a superb "green" chemical range and has a great Brake and parts cleaner, its at a premium price...therefore, people will poopoo it and go and buy the cheapest out there because its "just a Brake and parts cleaner"...and generally give NO thought to what the hell is in it!!! So, next time a "chemical" saleman comes through your companies door, find out what he puts on your shelf, where is the MSDS sheet and whats in the stuff that makes you dizzy/cough/sneeze/fart, etc every time you use it!!!...it may save you some pain and suffering...now and in the future, it may even save your life!!!

The same goes for the stuff you buy for your garage at the local automotive store, Ace, Home Depot, etc...ASK the questions. They should also have copies of MSDS sheets, ask for a copy...it's a health and safety document that tells you all you need to know about that product :o

So always ASK if your not sure and want to live a wee while longer :-\

8).......TIGER....... 8) 
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

jasonm.

what makes me mad. Is the Brake cleaner I used all the time has had it's formula changed to MOSTLY acetone. Previously it was not like this. The reason....they say it's now acceptable for use in California. So acetone, like in nail polish/paint remover is now safer...jeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzz
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

kwells

glad it doesn't make me fart.  I mostly just get giddy. I fart enough without it.

www.wellsmoto.com

Rick G

David, Phosgene is the result of heating Freon above a certain heat , such as through a flame. I have been gassed a few times in my carrier. Its almost impossable to breath, when subjected to the stuff, your  lungs seem to lock up. You run like hell to get away from it !! :o :o :o :o >:( >:( >:(
Both the British and Germans, tried to gas each other with it, but unpredictable winds ended up blowing it back in to their faces.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

kwells

Deadly gases.  Fun for the whole family.

www.wellsmoto.com

Rick G

Actually phosgene isn't so bad , at least you know its there!  Freon is invisible , orderless and displaces air.
I worked on a job , where the compressor was in a concrete lined pit. We were required to have a freon leak detector running , 1 foot from the floor at all times.
A previous tech , had dumped the charge (about 90 lbs of R22) into the pit. It pushed the air right out of the top of the pit. Some one saw the two men in the bottom, unconscious and called 911. Paramedics were able to revive them. A week later, the same tech did it again, this time only the helper survived. It came out that the Tech was going through a bad divorce and was trying to off him self , with out loosing his life insurance, for his kids . Didn't work, they ended up with out the money and no Dad.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

kwells

holy crap.  That's a pretty rough story.  What happened to offing yourself the old fashioned way? Shotgun to the face works every time.

www.wellsmoto.com

The Prophet of Doom

I suppose now we will need to be on the look out for US government officials cunningly disguised as Afghans with cans of brake cleaner strapped to their chests.   :o