News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Special Screwdriver?

Started by crazyjimmy, May 04, 2004, 12:31:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazyjimmy

I have found that it is extremely difficult  for me to use a screwdriver to adjust the rear carb fuel/air mixture screw. I know that vision carbs need adjustments from time to time to smooth that bog we all have run into from time to time. This just leads me to believe that a few of the visionaries must have made their own special tool, just for this purpose. If any of you would be so kind as to share a story or two on the subject.

Thank You,

Jim

h2olawyer

Hi Jim -

Welcome to the forum.

I just use a long (10 - 12 inch) standard screwdriver with a small tip.  It doesn't go into the slot very straight but once you find the angle, it works well, provided your mixture screw isn't siezed and moves fairly freely.  You might also look for a flexible shaft screwdriver.  I've seen them around but never found the need for one.

H2o
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Lucky

my favorite one for this particular job is a little bent...but then again, so am I..lol
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

h2olawyer

No - Kiawrench is the one who's a little bent - he can be repaired. ?You're just a touch twisted!

H2o
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

scootertramp

whats fun for me is finding that special tool just for that job and building a tool box. . Like the long skinny flattie neede for the carb adjustment.
Mine is an old  mostly wore out screwdriver that the dude said he had no use for.  bent and misshapen and ground down numerous times. I took it home and it was a poifect fit. poifect I say..
it went into my two wheeler tool box.  which is now three boxes.  
this is a fun enterprise.
IT's a VISION.   82. 550. water-cooled and shaft drive.
yes'm water-cooled just like a car.
No. no chain. it has a shaft drive like a car.
well no mamm I don't wish i had a car.
well, when it rains I have to find a dry spot.
cause this is a

kiawrench

i just use 80s version of snap on carb adjuster set,,, slip it in, wiggle around till it's smooth and then check the mercury,
tweaks where needed and came with my first big snap on tool box set,,,, i think a good tool store would still have set up like it,,, 25.00- 30.00 ,, but it can be used for a lot more than just vision carbs,,,

H2O is right,,, am a bit bent,,,, sort of twisted in my mind,,, a little to the left, shucks i ride a vision , cant ride a kz1000p,rather go rock climbing than work, and can still remeber how to defuse the pd fuse on a 155 howitzer round ,,,,, yep,,, sure wish i could still work demolitions,, something about making a lot of noise at work.........
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

crazyjimmy

Thanks Everyone for the info.

I ended up buying a cheap 10 inch screwdriver, filing down the flared edges and giving it a little bend at the end. It really works rather well.

Now on to the synching  of the carbs, the blown fork seals,the leaking valve covers, swingarm bushings, loose starter clutch, leaking side cover and rotten exhaust.

Some people are just born lucky.

Thanks again

Lucky

1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black