News:

Main Menu

82 : Black or gold wheels

Started by Kiwi, August 11, 2009, 11:29:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiwi

My 82 has a black wheel on the front and a gold one on the back...
What color is stock?

Just curious

US 82 XZ550 with the flapper Airbox

akvision

my guess is you have one wheel from 1982 and another from 1983.  What color are the pipes?
1960 BMW R-50 "Hanz" reborn April 24, 2009 , Ketchikan
1982 "V" AKBluv, Denver, traded for BMW R1100S
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"
1977 BMW R75/7, Green Lantern Cafe Project
Deep In the INSIDE PASSAGE, Alaska

h2olawyer

Black wheels were on the 82s & gold on the 83s in the US.  In Canada, some of the 83s - in the red & white paint scheme - came with black wheels.  Look for all the 83 cues - black exhaust, short handlebar risers, 140MPH speedo (US versions), rear brake lever with a sharper bend in the shaft, dual disc front brakes & fuel gauge.  Some 82s have had the parts installed, but the scarcity of 83 parts bikes makes it difficult to get all the 83 upgrades installed on an 82.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Kiwi

It's got Chrome pipes.  It's an 82, according to the VIN at least
a Previous Owner must of replaced one.  I hate to think what might of caused them to do that :-[
US 82 XZ550 with the flapper Airbox

h2olawyer

Could have been the original rim was leaking through pinholes in the casting.  Rare, but not unheard of.  Could have been bent on a pothole or road debris.  Or the previous owner may have been working on getting both gold wheels for a more custom appearance & could find / afford only one at a time.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.