Just bought a Vision and I have some questions...

Started by nac817, August 10, 2009, 03:42:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nac817

Hey guys

I just bought a 1982 vision with about 16000 miles on it a few weeks ago. Its my first motorcycle so I don't know much about maintenance. The bike is leaking a little oil every time it sits for over an hour or so. I was wondering if anyone could tell me where to put in more oil and what kind is best for my bike. Any help is greatly appreciated!

flyinbike

hey, welcome from another noob. You put the oil on the left side of the engine. Just un-screw the cap and pour it in until it is level in the window. You will need about 2.5 L of oil. Oil choice should depend on the temperature you are running in, plus 5 C need 10w30 and plus zero need 20w40. I think. Im from Canada so everything is metric.

Walt_M.

Hello and welcome. The oil fill is on the front of the left(sitting on the bike) engine case. I hope you can get a service manual but the DVD Lucky has available has more info. Good luck.
Whale oil beef hooked!

YellowJacket!

A couple drips is OK.  Mine does if from time to time.  Did it the other day after a Harley parked next to me.
Usually happens when the oil is thin or after an oil change or long ride.  Keep an eye on it.

Welcome to ROV.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

nac817

Ok just to be absolutely sure the oil fill is this right? Better safe then sorry...

kwells

if the bike has sat for any length of time.  Be sure to also change the filter. 
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

YellowJacket!

yep, thats it.  The little black thingy with the ears on it.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

xswheels

Say Nac817, when you are doing your oil change make sure the bike is level. If you are changing your filter, and you should, refill with 2.5 lt of oil. Start up and run your engine for 20 seconds. The level in the sight glass may take 9 minutes for an accurate reading (mine does.) Add more oil untill it reaches the upper level and an air bubble is visible. You will likely add another 200-300ml.

QBS

NAC817, FYI, V owners manual says that a V oil and filter change requires 2.9 qts of oil.  What I do at oil change time (for the last 25 years) is change the oil and filter and then just dump in 3 qts of oil and not worry about the very small .1 qt. overfill.

Vs' don't have dip sticks.  Always check your oil level sight glass with the bike on a hard level surface while sitting on its' center stand.  Anything less is probably going to give you an inaccurate view.  Oil level viewed at the bottom of the glass indicates that the bike is down one quart.

Your oil leak is probably coming from the area of the left rear engine side cover where the stator wires leave the engine and head for the R/R.  Its' a common occurrence, more of a nuisance than anything else.

akvision

Hey, he is just asking about adding oil.    Listen... when you get a new to you machine... CHANGE THE OIL AND FILTER IN EVERY OILY PLACE. This is golden advice.. You don't know how old it is or how manys cooties are in the crank case.

Buy Lucky's DVD and study the maintenance manual, check check, and fix fix before you ride ride or you might find your self kissing the pavement.  Know your bike and maintain it.. it is the cheapest insurance you can buy.

Good luck Nac and welcome to the V family.
1960 BMW R-50 "Hanz" reborn April 24, 2009 , Ketchikan
1982 "V" AKBluv, Denver, traded for BMW R1100S
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"
1977 BMW R75/7, Green Lantern Cafe Project
Deep In the INSIDE PASSAGE, Alaska

Lucky

Quote from: YellowJacket! on August 10, 2009, 04:44:19 PM
A couple drips is OK.  Mine does if from time to time.  Did it the other day after a Harley parked next to me.
David

I think that's called "peer pressure", lol!!
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black