News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Highway 89A Near Flagstaff

Started by Kojo, August 11, 2009, 03:14:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kojo

I was driving the area between Flagstaff and Prescott when I was preparing for a move up to Sedona, and I was amazed at the riding area up there. The weather during the summer is crisp and refreshing compared to the rest of Arizona, and there's some Amazing riding there. You've got a little bit of everything including grasslands, forests, high deserts, and grand rock formations that give Zion National Park a run for it's money.

Starting at Prescott, you begin in an agricultural area, with big grass fields reminiscent to parts of central California, it's a bit straight and kind of boring. After a very strange part in which you actually get off the highway, then back on, it begins to become more interesting as the landscape begins to turn into mountains. This is where my palms start to get a bit damp (Not too keen on the heights) but the road gets fun. Twisties all the way up and all the way down, with some really amazing vistas along the way.

On the descent you get into a very quirky town of Jerome which is worth a stop at the very least to admire the other motorcycles in the area, along with some great historical buildings. I saw a near perfectly mint green 1968 Honda CB160 that someone somehow got up the mountain. The descent brings you further along the town, which at one point was built along the "spine" of a hill, with houses and a sheer drop on either side. Nearly the whole town is propped up on sticks. The descent evens out and is fairly uninteresting, save for the massive backdrop you just hopped.

The drive through the desert that follows is long and relatively uninteresting, and stopping in Cottonwood before you head out onto the big desert is a good idea. It's long and fairly straight, what more can I say?

If you survive Sedona Traffic, while marveling at the Red Rock formations I give you kudos. There are a few roundabouts, and most of the drivers there don't know how to handle them. Otherwise, Sedona is a weird of tourist junk and New-Age aliens and whatnot.

After leaving Sedona you get to ride into the red rocks! This road along Oak Creek is interesting, and if you brought swim trunks, Slide Rock is worth a stop. There are a few more switchbacks before you get up into the mountain road proper, and before you're done enjoying the pleasant mountain weather, you're alongside I17, and the ride is over.

I think it's certainly worth a day's visit, and I can't wait to get my Vision fixed (Which has suddenly decided to flood the front cylinder) up so I can make the ride. If anyone else has ridden this road, tell me your impressions! I'm moving up there soon, so I'm going to ride it when I have time off school.
Younger, but just as smart. Really.

kwells

might just have a dirty, sticking float needle valve.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

funkamongus

Seems to me,, in reading your description of the pending ride, that you have an eye for traveling.. My guess is, youre gonna have a great time riding no matter where you are or go. Youre way ahead of the curve. Ive been trying to get down there to see Rick and go for some riding but havent made it yet.. it keeps getting put off. Rest assured,, I will get down there, Id like for us all to get together for a ride!! I'll hit you up when I start making the plans to get there.   
I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!