News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

YAVR - Yet Another Vision Rebuild

Started by sunburnedaz, August 15, 2009, 11:25:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sunburnedaz

after doing some reading I didn't have the air box on either so that would have been a problem too. LOL I will reinstall everything and then make that decision when I get to that point.
1982 Yamaha XZ550 - Almost bone stock
2005 Honda F4i - Nothing stock
98 ZX-6R Track Bike
1998 Chevy truck - AKA recovery truck

sunburnedaz

Well more updates. This happened a few days ago but the GF wanted me to come to bed so it had to wait till today to update you all.

Rebuilt the petcock

Over all not looking bad

Took out the drain screw

And the diaphragm parts 1 and 2

Gonna upload the video to youtube for you all to listen to.
98 ZX-6R Track Bike

sunburnedaz

As promised the Vision on its first start running almost completely on its own. It still does not have a battery so it was running on the truck battery with some long heavy jumper cables but the carbs is what I was really playing with that night.

PS DO THE DEW!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13WkgPIv9wo

PS forgive the crappy camera work I was really happy it ran.
98 ZX-6R Track Bike

sunburnedaz

Ok after getting the airbox back on and all the extra vacuum lines run it now has an off idle dieing problem. Here is what was happening.

Put the choke on try to start it 3 times and it finally catches an runs at about 2000 - 3000 RPMs.

After the bike warmed up pull the choke off and it idles happly at 1300RPM. If I open the throttle even a little tiny bit it dies. If I restart it, put the choke on and let it go up to 3000 - 3500 RPMs I can open the throttle and it will go up proportionally. Then while holding it open at say 4000 RPMs i can let off the choke no problem and throttle it up and down as long as I dont let it get back to idle its fine but if I let it drop to idle then if I open the throttle it will die again.

Now my question to the experts, will syncing the carbs fix this or is a good cleaning in order?

Edit: This is the last major hurdle before the bike becomes a riding resoration and not a garage restoration.
98 ZX-6R Track Bike

Re-Vision

I only became an expert this past Monday when I synched my carbs for the first time.  The symptoms you describe are nearly identical to what I experienced after having my carbs cleaned.  First I adjusted the idle jets for max RPM for both carbs, then synched carbs at approximately 1500-2500 RPM (higher RPM removes some of the flutter from the bouncing liquid).  Readjusted idle for 1300. Engine Idles, starts, and runs smoothly without stumbling (so far).  Wishing you well.  BDC

sunburnedaz

Sweet, I feel a run to ace hardware coming on.
98 ZX-6R Track Bike

sunburnedaz

Well I got the carbs sync'ed and it did help the off idle stumble. Thanks Re-Vision. I took a look at the accelerator pump area and I have an early 82 carb with the airbox mod from the looks of it (no stop screw)

Don't know how sensitive the home made sync gauge is but I made it using the air restricters from my commercial carb sync (I would have used that but the fluid evaporated) some 1/4 inch clear tubing and some 5wt fork oil. I know when I hooked the gauge I had the difference in vacuum was less than 1in of Mg between the carbs so it is really sensitive to small changes.  

Carbs Sync-ed

Ok now I think I found my problem and I think I know the answer but please tell me if this is right or wrong since I have not worked on a carb since Clinton was getting BJ's under the desk in the oval office. The tube circled in red is the accelerator nozzle and should squirt gas when ever the throttle is twisted right? (even off which is why people twist the throttle before they start the bike)  And it should be a spray like a squirt bottle type cone right past the butterfly right. Well if I open the throttle on mine nothing comes out and it stumbles/stalls.

The nozzle in green starts spraying gas in the higher RPM's say 5000+ RPMs with the butterflies open and the engine running only. I think that's right and its being drawn out via the low pressure the venturi is creating. Or is all this totally off and you all need to beat me with the stupid stick until basic carb theory comes back to me?  ;D

Edit: Did some digging on the site and I probably have a leaking YCIS. Thanks Lucky, it was your port in another thread that clued me into what the problem with the RPMs coming down slowly was.

98 ZX-6R Track Bike

QBS

Sounds like you're on the right track.

Night Vision

"Ok now I think I found my problem and I think I know the answer but please tell me if this is right or wrong since I have not worked on a carb since Clinton was getting BJ's under the desk in the oval office. The tube circled in red is the accelerator nozzle and should squirt gas when ever the throttle is twisted right? (even off which is why people twist the throttle before they start the bike)  And it should be a spray like a squirt bottle type cone right past the butterfly right. Well if I open the throttle on mine nothing comes out and it stumbles/stalls."

yes, the acellerator nozzle should squirt gas when:

the throttle is opened quickly even if the bike is turned off (only on 82 carbs, I don't think the little squirts work on 83 carbs when it is turned off)

and provided that the linkage is connected  ;)

when you first open the throttle (butterflies) there is a large amount of air entering the ventri... the accelerator squirt adds a little gas to combat the intial lean condition caused by the extra volume of air.... without the squirt, you will definately stumble and may stall

once things catch up to each other (the air and gas ratio) the extra boost of gas  is no longer need.

that's the basics... you still need clean carbs, correct pilot screw and sync adjustments to get rid of the stumble.... not to mention NO vac leaks

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

sunburnedaz

More pictures for you guys.

Dirty Carb Shot 1

Dirty Carb Shot 2

Dirty Carb Shot 3

One of the Carbs all nice and clean

Got the rear tire off to do the brakes and swap tires. Will have pics later. Going to go to the store to get new gasket material for the float bowl gasket later today as well.
98 ZX-6R Track Bike

sunburnedaz

quick update, got the carbs on found the leak in the front carb boot. Grrr going to fix that today. Also got the rear wheel off and have cleaned it up and put new bearings in it and got a bike master maintenance free battery installed. We are getting close now. All we need to do now is get the front caliper coated with paint or powder coat, rebuild it, install the rear brake shoes, replace the brace bar bolts, then tires and carb tuning and we will be rocking and rolling.
98 ZX-6R Track Bike

funkamongus

I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

sunburnedaz

Rear brake shoes installed :) pics later..
98 ZX-6R Track Bike

sunburnedaz

Ok front caliper got rebuilt a while ago but the camera was MIA.

Got new/used carb boots from the guy who had it before me. He had them and was looking for them for me but only found them a few days ago. So here is where it stands.

Tank is off but with a temporary tank rigged up and everything put back together it runs but electrical gremlins are back. Looks like one of the wires to the main power relay is broken where it flexes. And something is loose because the new fuse box was working fine but now none of the warning lights light up high beam, oil pressure and neutral lights are all dark.

And it looks like the carbs did not get clean enough. Well really it looks like the accelerator nozzles are still clogged or more likely is that some dirt or debris broke loose and found its way there because the spray was fine a few days ago but after running it yesterday the spray is crap today.
98 ZX-6R Track Bike

Brian Moffet

Quote from: sunburnedaz on September 26, 2009, 03:05:16 AM
since Clinton was getting BJ's under the desk in the oval office.

You might want to talk to a Dr. about this fascination with Clinton in the oval office  ;D

sunburnedaz

Final update. It runs, its insured, its titled and its got a historic plate. hehe Time to ride the piss out of this thing.
98 ZX-6R Track Bike

sunburnedaz

Ok I lied that was not the final update. This is.

The cooling system got flushed and it was all rusty when I flushed it. I ordered a new fuse box since the one I was using was junk since one of the tabs cracked causing the indicators to go out. And a new 8 gauge main power cable was fitted to the positive side. New brake light switches are on order since about 1/2 the time the front one sticks down. But the bike did get out and about and the girlfriend rode on it and first words out of her mouth were you can not sell this bike. LOL I did get all the paper work squared away and now it sports the Arizona copper classic vehicle plate.

Here is the bike from the front quarter.

From the right side

The new mileage after some riding with the girlfriend. We met the previous owner who is a great friend of mine and he was shocked when he saw it in the parking lot of starbucks that night. And my local shop guys who have been ordering parts for me were shocked too when I pulled up.

The girlfriend posing in front of the bike at Cave Creek Coffee Company after our ride up there.

98 ZX-6R Track Bike

vadasz1

If you want to KEEP your GF looking as good as your Vision make sure to get her PROPER riding equipment.  Those pants will not stay on her if she was to unfortunately fall off the bike.  And the running shoes should be replaced with at least something with WAY MORE ankle protection.  Some gloves wouldn't hurt to keep her fingers there just in case you decide to slip a ring on one of them later in the future.
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

sunburnedaz

Quote from: vadasz1 on November 30, 2009, 09:27:25 AM
If you want to KEEP your GF looking as good as your Vision make sure to get her PROPER riding equipment.  Those pants will not stay on her if she was to unfortunately fall off the bike.  And the running shoes should be replaced with at least something with WAY MORE ankle protection.  Some gloves wouldn't hurt to keep her fingers there just in case you decide to slip a ring on one of them later in the future.

That pic was taken after we had time to strip off our gear. Gloves are in the helment, the touring pants are in the backpack and better shoes are in the works.
98 ZX-6R Track Bike

akvision

Hey, I like the fork brace and the "tuning fork" disk!

Yeah, La Femme is nice too.
1960 BMW R-50 "Hanz" reborn April 24, 2009 , Ketchikan
1982 "V" AKBluv, Denver, traded for BMW R1100S
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"
1977 BMW R75/7, Green Lantern Cafe Project
Deep In the INSIDE PASSAGE, Alaska