YAVR - Yet Another Vision Rebuild

Started by sunburnedaz, August 15, 2009, 11:25:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sunburnedaz

"tuning fork" disk???? care to enlighten me on that one?
1982 Yamaha XZ550 - Almost bone stock
2005 Honda F4i - Nothing stock
98 ZX-6R Track Bike
1998 Chevy truck - AKA recovery truck

akvision

The little yamaha disc that is in fact 3 tuning forks and the vintage corporate Yamaha symbol.  It is visible on the tank and not stock for the V??? 
Correct me.
1960 BMW R-50 "Hanz" reborn April 24, 2009 , Ketchikan
1982 "V" AKBluv, Denver, traded for BMW R1100S
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"
1977 BMW R75/7, Green Lantern Cafe Project
Deep In the INSIDE PASSAGE, Alaska

sunburnedaz

Oh I guess you are right that is not stock on the V but the tank came that way and I kinda like it better than the YAMAHA emblem spelled out.
98 ZX-6R Track Bike

Re-Vision

I like the decal better also.  Where can I get one, perhaps a wee bit larger.  Anyone know?  BDC

QBS

Looking good!  You're doing well.  The clutch cable looks a bit unrestrained.

sunburnedaz

98 ZX-6R Track Bike

sunburnedaz

Quote from: QBS on November 30, 2009, 11:43:23 PM
Looking good!  You're doing well.  The clutch cable looks a bit unrestrained.

True true. So......... how does it route then. When i took it off I swore it was loose like it is in the pics.
98 ZX-6R Track Bike

Night Vision

it's supposed to go behind the radiator and snake up through the inside of the headlight bracketry..

can't tell, but yours might be a tad long.... can you tell us how many tads long it is? maybe someone has a known 82 clutch cable to compare
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Re-Vision

The last page of the Yamaha manual and all of my assembled bikes show the cable above the radiator going between the forks and bending back by the odometer reset knob on the way to the clutch lever.  BDC

sunburnedaz

Ok so I re routed the clutch cable after I took the pictures.

I found some more parts that were part of the purchase price of the vision but I didn't want to open them till I got the bike running. Now that it is running time for some exploring in more parts.

First I got some OEM Yamaha engine guards. Even still had the instructions with them  :o

Right Side

Left Side

I also got the full fairing kit with braces and mirrors.

Nose Piece

Right Side Faring

The fairings are in rough shape but I am going to start on them as a winter project. Going to repair the fiberglass, sand and paint them here at the house over the next few months so that this old girl can have a new shiny fairing set to match the new shiny tank she has.
98 ZX-6R Track Bike

QBS

You've got some tasty bits.  Hope you got the correct mirrors and low rise risers.  Other mirrors can be fitted but they don't look as good as the correct ones'.  The correct risers look and work much better with the fairing handlebar cut outs than the high risers do.  Also, set back foot pegs were part of the full fairing set up.  They complete the low riser, set back foot peg, ergonomic package.

Re-Vision

sunburnedaz

Quote from: QBS on December 09, 2009, 12:05:28 PM
You've got some tasty bits.  Hope you got the correct mirrors and low rise risers.  Other mirrors can be fitted but they don't look as good as the correct ones'.  The correct risers look and work much better with the fairing handlebar cut outs than the high risers do.  Also, set back foot pegs were part of the full fairing set up.  They complete the low riser, set back foot peg, ergonomic package.

Mirrors - Yes.
Risers - don't know. I have an extra set of them but they are the same size the current ones. How could I tell.
Foot pegs - Dont know, how would I find out?

Quote from: Re-Vision on December 09, 2009, 01:02:12 PM
Do you have a radiator shroud?  BDC

Yes 2 of them. I had it installed before I swapped rads the other day. I was getting over heating issues because the rad was so plugged up even after flushing it and running a high performance fluid. I had already cleaned a spare rad that I had and was all pretty so I swapped that one over to the bike. I need to put the shroud back on.

Before the swap running down the road with the speedo pegged in 40 degree weather I would still have the temp between the 2/3 and HOT mark. If I sat in traffic it would over heat and boil the coolant into the overflow till it puked it onto the street.  After the swap I did the same run and it sat between the 1/4 and 1/2 mark. Sitting in traffic it only gets up to the 7/8ths mark before the fan kicks on and drops it to the 3/4 mark and then turns off.
98 ZX-6R Track Bike

Re-Vision

Nathaniel, 83 risers are a couple of inches shorter than the 82's, steel part of footpegs are built different so as to position  them farther back.  Got your check.  When you install the fairing you will have to remove the engine guard.  BDC

sunburnedaz

Quote from: Re-Vision on December 09, 2009, 05:31:50 PM
When you install the fairing you will have to remove the engine guard.  BDC

:'( permanently?

LOL you know my real name now. haha
98 ZX-6R Track Bike

Lucky

or Rick can make you a custom top tripple tree like he made me.  (for my birthday, Thanks again Rick!)  Rick welds common bar clamps to our risers so you can use whatever tube bars you choose...

the taller 82 risers will hit the windshield on an 83, but if you angle them just so only the corner of the master cyl will hit (scrape actually) the inside of the windshield for about 3/8ths of an inch.  until i install ricks tripple & find bars for it, i have made a clip that installs over the windshield for the corner of the master cyl to slide over.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Tiger

Quote from: sunburnedaz on December 09, 2009, 07:16:34 PM
Quote from: Re-Vision on December 09, 2009, 05:31:50 PM
When you install the fairing you will have to remove the engine guard.  BDC

:'( permanently? 

:) You have choices here:

1 x Keep the engine guards. Install the upper fairing only.

2 x Remove the engine guards and install the FULL fairing.

3 x As #2.......but cut up the fairing lowers to accommodate the engine guards!!!

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

sunburnedaz

Damn, Well my pretty newly cleaned up rad was cleaned so well that it cleaned out the crud out of the TINY hole in one of the rad tubes. I have cleaned out the original one that was on the bike lets hope it doesn't have the same problem of this old one.
98 ZX-6R Track Bike

Re-Vision