Bike died

Started by kev10104, August 23, 2009, 07:14:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kev10104

I went for a nice spin today and on my way back noticed my bike was stumbling or jumping.Then it just died.I coasted down the hill and had a smoke.It didn't seem like it wanted to start but it did and I had to leave the choke on or it was going to konk out.I switched the choke off and everything seemed ok until I hit a light and it died again.I got it started back up and made sure I didn't let the rpm's go below 2000 and made it home.I took it around the block and it seemed fine except that the rpm's come down very slowly and there is a strong swell of gas.I am used to the smell of gas because I know my floats need adjusting but I am thinking this would be a gas problem somewhere.Like it is not getting enough gas when it stumbles and maybe it is getting too much when the rpm's are slow.What do you think? :-\

Tiger

:-\ Hmmmmm, it could be a vacuum leak ?? possible leaking YIC's... At least ya got home buddy  ;)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

YellowJacket!

Sounds like what mine was doing when the float got stuck.  Was it leaking gas?

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Kojo

I'm with Yellowjacket on this one. Mine did the same exact thing before finally stopping me late at night in a parking lot, very upset. It's either the float valve being stopped by dirt or grime, or the needle is grimed up or bad. It sounds like a fuel problem. If it's flooding one of the carbs, I'd be almost willing to put money on the float valve.

Mine ran really poorly (Jumping, stuttering, similar to what you experienced I'm sure.) until finally death at a extra long stop light.
Younger, but just as smart. Really.

kev10104

I never noticed any gas leaking except the usual leak after I stop.I know my floats need adjusting.

Walt_M.

The usual leak after you stop! And you smoke! Make sure your life insurance is paid up or get over to Tiger's for a little carb clean/float adjustment session. Raw gas should not run out of your carbs at any time, period.
Whale oil beef hooked!

YellowJacket!

Quote from: kev10104 on August 24, 2009, 05:52:16 AM
I never noticed any gas leaking except the usual leak after I stop.I know my floats need adjusting.

I'll bet you a US Dollar that it was your float.  Especially sinc eyou know they need adjusting.  I'm with walt, I'm scared enough knowing that the overflow is dripping close to my rear exhaust...but c'mon Kev, smoking too.  Yer gonna burn your legs off...or worse.

David

vadasz1

KKKKKAAAAABBBBBOOOOOMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

YellowJacket!

One other thing to check is your fuel line.  Make sure that its not kinked or close to being kinked.  Mine had a slight bend in it that was enough to let fuel flow at times, but when it got hot, it would squeeze together and crimp off.

David

kev10104

I always walk away from my bike when I light up so no worries but thanks for your concern guys.

kev10104

I disconnected the hoses from the yikes and put vacuum caps on them and took it for a spin.It acted the same.The rpm's are taking a long time to come down.I reconnected the hoses from the yikes and took it for another spin and got the same action.The only difference was the rpm's had to be lowered when the caps were on and then re-adjusted when I put the hoses back on.The usual gas coming out of the hose at the bottom of thew bike was ever present once I stopped and parked it.

YellowJacket!

You have a stuck float.

David

kev10104

Night Vision

didja check the orings on the drain screws? that can cause a gas leak also.

I don't see how a stuck float would make the rpms come down slow... check for other vac leaks. having to have the choke on indicates a lean condition which points to vac leaks also...

I did a dumb one.... last time I had my airbox off, I forgot to tighten the boots to the carb tops.... that gave me a nice vac leak which lead to surging... so vac leaks don't mean just hoses
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Night Vision on August 24, 2009, 06:38:19 PM
didja check the orings on the drain screws? that can cause a gas leak also.

I don't see how a stuck float would make the rpms come down slow... check for other vac leaks. having to have the choke on indicates a lean condition which points to vac leaks also...

I did a dumb one.... last time I had my airbox off, I forgot to tighten the boots to the carb tops.... that gave me a nice vac leak which lead to surging... so vac leaks don't mean just hoses

Last month when my float was stuck, gas was spilling out the drain hoses.  I lost almost a whole tank in 7 miles.  It was also flooding into my carb causing the bike to run like crap.  Exactly the same symptoms as kevs.

Kev, the quick fix is to remove the drain screws or the jet plugs for whichever carb the float is stuck in ans spray some (lots) of carb cleaner in it and let it drain out. WEAR GOGGLES and gloves.  Worked for me without having to totally disassemble the carb.  However, if you know that your floats are off and need adjusting as you mentioned, I see a good weekend project for you and tiger <grin>

David

QBS

To clear out debris stuck between the float needle and the float seat, isolate each carb fuel line, open the carb drain screws, and use a large syringe to force fuel or carb cleaner into each carb via its' fuel inlet.

YellowJacket!

Quote from: QBS on August 24, 2009, 11:19:01 PM
To clear out debris stuck between the float needle and the float seat, isolate each carb fuel line, open the carb drain screws, and use a large syringe to force fuel or carb cleaner into each carb via its' fuel inlet.

Yep, it was your tip that fixed mine.  :D

David

kev10104

Thanks guys.I only had to leave the choke on when it died but havn't had to since.

The Prophet of Doom

How does one check float levels without a float gauge?  Can you buy them? Make them?

QBS

Get about 18" of small diameter clear vinyl tubing.  One carb at a time, stick one end of it onto the float bowl drain spigot.  Put petcock on prime and open float bowl drain screw.  Hold tubing up against the side of the float bowl and observe the fuel level inside the float bowl being repeated outside the float bowl in the clear tubing.  There is a specification for fuel level height in the the tubing  as it relates to the float bowl gasket.  Look in the Haynes manual or consult with a carb guru on this forum for that spec.