News:

Main Menu

wont even try to turn over

Started by chaditude, August 25, 2009, 08:29:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chaditude

Went out to ride the vision tonight and she turned over twice,then seemed like i lost all juice at starter switch. When i jit the starter switch I can hear a faint click from somewhere near or behind the battery box. If anyone has any suggestions i would appreciate it.

Just so you know it has been running and starting fine until tonight :(

akvision

Check the battery, then the fuse, then the connection to the starter, then the switch, then the starter.  If all is good it should spin if the starter clutch is intact and the engine is free to turn.
1960 BMW R-50 "Hanz" reborn April 24, 2009 , Ketchikan
1982 "V" AKBluv, Denver, traded for BMW R1100S
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"
1977 BMW R75/7, Green Lantern Cafe Project
Deep In the INSIDE PASSAGE, Alaska

vadasz1

don't forget to see if there might be oil in the starter.  Did you or know if the seal was changed to the spring lipped type?  Another thing that happened to one of our gurus, water had gotten into the starter.  Are your seals on the capends in good condition?  Are they there at all?  What about the starter brushes?  When were they last serviced?

If what akvision said is all OK, then yu might be looking at a starter cleaning/rebuild.
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

Lucky

Here is what i would try, in order:
--key on, is the headlight bright?
--jump to NON RUNNING car. does it turn over/start?
--if it does, get a voltmeter on the battery while it's running, should be 13-14 volts at 200-2500 rpm
--if not suspect charging system
if charging, check water level in battery, electrical connections at pushbutton switch (& INSIDE switch) or oil in starter

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Brian Moffet

Quote from: Lucky on August 26, 2009, 07:42:36 AM
200-2500 rpm

2000 - 2500 RPM.  (I know Lucky knows that and just typoed this one. :-) )

rockinjer

i had the same symtoms a while ago so If you turn key on and the headlight and everything looks strong the battery is probably good, when you push the start button and all you hear is a cick then it is probably your starter, to make it work maybe a few more weeks\months hold the starter button down and reach under neath with a little hammer and tap on the starter a little in different spots and it should crank over, but you will need to get another starter eventually, cuz i had mine let me down and had to push start in in a parking lot lol,
1982 XZ550

QBS

Don't get another starter.  Fix and upgrade the one you have.