News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Dash is all damaged...

Started by chrisw, August 29, 2009, 10:39:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisw

So when I was pulling my bike apart i noticed there was a bit of a crack in my dash housing. I now noticed today that there is about an inch wedge of plastic missing and a BIG crack.... I could just plastic weld some bits over this and cover it up... then polish the front screen since its VERY foggy / UV damaged ... OR I can make a custom dash...

what do you guys think?like this but on a carbon or metal sheet more likely

I'm considering that I might just repair the dash to keep it fairly original but add some other gauges around it as I did with my previous cafe racer project I had, just simple useful ones, Volt meter, oil pressure and depending how energetic I am... retrofit a fuel mixture display (did that to the cafe racer, it was annoying :( )

akvision

Hey Chris...

How can a tank be more than "Full".

Is your gage accurate?
1960 BMW R-50 "Hanz" reborn April 24, 2009 , Ketchikan
1982 "V" AKBluv, Denver, traded for BMW R1100S
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"
1977 BMW R75/7, Green Lantern Cafe Project
Deep In the INSIDE PASSAGE, Alaska

chrisw

hehe thats not my work, thats a Google image basically what I mean, a fascia with universal gauges on it, Though I'd prefer repairing my dash and just having my 1 - 3 additional gauges that I "require" hidden in the top fairing.

Tiger

:) The material you use for a dash has to be flexible, to enable installation. Using an oem dashboard as a template, I make custom units from White 3/16" UHMW sheet and cover them in Black leatherette material...Its strong, flexible, rust proof and looks good... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Coil Coyle

ChrisW,

In my opinion, a steering wheel is a really bad idea.

$0.02
:laugh:
Coil

Kid Jedi

don't use something reflective, 2 corners after i installed the chrome covers on a Harley speedometer, i was ready to sunblock my eyes.
Loves to over think things.

QBS

Another option: Use thin plywood.  Cut it using a jig saw with the OEM dash acting as a template.  Cover it with the adhesive shelf paper of your choice.  Be aware that there is limited clearance behind the dash for deeper instruments.

akvision

The stuff that I would use is called "door skin" and can be bought at any home hardware lumber store.  They may have a small piece available.
1960 BMW R-50 "Hanz" reborn April 24, 2009 , Ketchikan
1982 "V" AKBluv, Denver, traded for BMW R1100S
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"
1977 BMW R75/7, Green Lantern Cafe Project
Deep In the INSIDE PASSAGE, Alaska