News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Finally got er' started!!!!

Started by TixonPB, September 02, 2009, 08:41:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TixonPB

After 5 hours of problems today, I finally got her running :) I replaced the starter clutch and then had to do some re-wireing so she could get a spark, but she is running strong now!!!! the youtube clip is from the first minute that i ever heard her run. I've never been happier :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T66B5109Jmo

(I understand shes idling a bit slow here, but i got her idling at 1,300 now)

funkamongus

I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

Tiger

8) Superb and congratulations...I know that feeling well ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

chrisw

That idle is music to my ears, it sounds like the idle on a rotary or a lumpy v8 :P bub bub bub bub bububububub bub bub bububub bub bub bub bububub,

Kiwi

Congrats !  It is such a sweet feeling
US 82 XZ550 with the flapper Airbox

TixonPB

Oh you bet it is. Now I just gotta get her insured and i'll finally be a "Rider of Vision"!!!

TixonPB

I have one problem though. When I let it idle and then after a few minutes give it a twist of the throttle, it will come back thru the rpm's really slow. Like I'll gas it to 3,000 and it'll kinda stick around there for like 30 seconds. I checked to make sure the throttle wasn't sticking. Any ideas?

Lucky

Leaking YICS.  block off the ports & try again. if better, reseal the YICS
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

TixonPB

*Edit for stupid question*

TixonPB

I got it insured and registered today and went on my first real ride. All was well until ti started surging. It felt like that rear cylinder was running as normal, but the front couldn't decide whether or not it wanted to run. It just kept surging and slowing down.

YellowJacket!

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

TixonPB

TixonPB

It's mainly bogging. Not really surging that much.

Lucky

Congrats on your first ride, did you block off the YICS yet?

TixonPB

I looked into it and it seems that that everything that would go the yics is already blocked off.

Lucky

Floats being that far off is unusual, i'd be more likely to suspect carb synq & pilot adjustment..

TixonPB

Well, I have replaced the fuel filter so that the fuel line doesn't kink anymore, and I have switched to premium gas and ran a bottle of fuel system cleaner thru it, and have pretty much gotten rid of the bogging problem. It still boggs a little around 3,000 rpm but I suspect a complete carb cleaning will fix that. I went and rode it tonight for about 5 mins, but that was enough to realize how terrible the headlight is. I know most bikes don't have fantastic headlight, but this was worse than most aftermarket foglights i've seen.  I believe I have found some  LED running lights that would work nicely and dont take too much power :)

Tiger

Quote from: TixonPB on September 06, 2009, 09:19:52 PM
I went and rode it tonight for about 5 Min's, but that was enough to realize how terrible the headlight is. I know most bikes don't have fantastic headlight, but this was worse than most aftermarket foglights I've seen. 

:) Check to see if you have the original type headlight bulb installed...its a miniature version of a household type of bulb...and as useless as tits on a bull!!! ::) You can change up to a halogen bulb...I run with a 55/100w, (legal here on the low beam and a huge difference on high beam on a night run ;)).

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

TixonPB

It's very likely that its the original since the bike doesn't have many miles...I'll have to check in the morning.

TixonPB

BTW, it just so happens that i've done some reading and found what I had fixed to get my bike started. when we tried to start it with the new starter clutch, we were getting no spark. Well I hadn't read that the yellow and black wire in the top plug of the TCI was the rev limiter cable, and it was cut on mine, so I reconnected it and it gave me spark and now the bike runs. What would cause that?