News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

looking for new piston rings...

Started by 82visionchopper, August 13, 2009, 09:09:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

82visionchopper

hey guys. i'm having a tough time finding a set of rings for my 82 that are not an arm and a leg.. any other models with the same size rings?

thanks

Walt_M.

Good luck! If you have found any at all that fit you should get them if you need them. How many miles do you have on the bike? Visions will go a long time before needing rings.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Rick G

There haven't been any for many years. If you found some and don't want to pay the price , let me know , I'll scrape up the money, for them.
Visionary  Humber, found some in the Netherlands  Yamaha warehouse , 5 or 6 years ago , I have no idea if the still have any. This was discussed in 2003 or 4. on the forum.
I did some investigating and found that the upper ring ,was available in a set of rings for a Honda accord , the second ring a differant set , and the oil ring in a third. So you would need to buy 3 sets of car rings to get two set of rings , for a Vision. In 2004 dollars it  was around 90.00 per set so I didn't persue the idea.
A visionary , who's name escapes me , right now (he worked for Wiseco pistons as an engineer) had offered to see if he could get a set  of the correct size , but no one jumped on it so the idea was dropped.
An automotive machine shop , here in Kingman, tells me they can get custom made rings , I don't have a price, but could  ask and report back.
I'm using a set of pistons, rings and cylinders ,that I bought on eBay in '04 , they had 10,000 miles on them and have been in three engines , so far they are performing as new.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

kwells

how bout an engine swap.  Can do that in about 2 hours start to finish with 2 people.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Coil Coyle

I posted a link in Britain that my local dealer had told me about but I can't seem to get any search results since I changed my Name that is shown on posts.

They had the "engine gasket" sets if any of you can search that and coilXZcoyle successfully there is a link to that business.

Hope this helps,
;)
Coil

Rick G

Kwells, that's right , assuming you can find a good engine. Usually moisture has migrated into the cylinder that has the intake valves open  and rusted it up. I've been saving pistons , rings and cylinders . In a pinch I could put a top end together, but I'd rather have new rings.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

motoracer8

Try Total Seal,  I have used their ring sets on many projects.

Ken G.
83 Vision and 11 others, Japanese, German and British

sunburnedaz

Just a thought what are the specs for the rings? Size and profile wise perhaps a local shop or a custom place would be able to get you rings. I mean there are tons of odd ball motors that have been bored out and have to have a slightly larger ring for their slightly larger piston so there is a market.
1982 Yamaha XZ550 - Almost bone stock
2005 Honda F4i - Nothing stock
98 ZX-6R Track Bike
1998 Chevy truck - AKA recovery truck

sunburnedaz

Ok just did a goodle search for custom rings and got this as a result. http://www.dol.net/~dave.reed/ringcost.htm

So I guess we still have the custom route if the rings are NLA as OEM or aftermarket part.
1982 Yamaha XZ550 - Almost bone stock
2005 Honda F4i - Nothing stock
98 ZX-6R Track Bike
1998 Chevy truck - AKA recovery truck