News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Tach acted up, then bike died

Started by arthurdent510, August 23, 2009, 01:12:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arthurdent510

Ok, pulled the drain plugs off, looks like both carbs had plenty of fuel in them.  Borrowed a spark tester from a buddy of mine, both front and back are giving good spark.  So I pulled the spark plugs... front plug looked fine.  Pulled the back plug and it was full of oil.....  Do I have some bad rings, bad head gasket, or something of the sort?

akvision

Does not sound good.   Sorry to hear.
Winter is here and the V Grems didn't want you to get bored??
:-\
1960 BMW R-50 "Hanz" reborn April 24, 2009 , Ketchikan
1982 "V" AKBluv, Denver, traded for BMW R1100S
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"
1977 BMW R75/7, Green Lantern Cafe Project
Deep In the INSIDE PASSAGE, Alaska

arthurdent510

Bah, winter is the best time to ride in az!  Was looking forward to it...  guess I know what I'm going to be doing next weekend...  Rick and I just replaced the head gasket on both cylinders around the beginning of the year too.   :-\

arthurdent510

Ok, did a compression test this evening, and the rear cylinder came in at about 120psi.  So it looks like the head gasket is still well.  Next culprit would be the valve seals?

jasonm.

when you changed the head gaskets. Did you change the associated O-Rings that reside with them on the studs???  My tach always has done a 5-6k wave from time to time. I was sayinig before...my tach went dead and then ran on one cylinder. Replace the ignitor in 2 minutes and fixed. Done 150-200 miles since and no more badness.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules