News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

#12 returned...

Started by Tiger, September 19, 2009, 08:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiger

:) #12 came back in today with Mike her new owner of three weeks...for a wee bit of work.

The headlight went out a few days ago completely :o No high or low beam...nothing!!! Checked out the fuses...O.K. Check the bulb...O.K. Left side switch checked out O.K.too :-\ so, time to go back through the system a bit more...after a couple of hours it turns out to be the right side switch is faulty!!! The old one now resides in the Blue recycle bin :o ::)

Drilled the gas tank to stop "Mount Etna" gas eruptions and replaced the gas cap as it was the cause of the Vision stalling from time to time.

After a few hours of work/tinkering, she was already and back on the road...

Mike has applied for membership to the ROV and will hopefully be riding with us for the fall ride next Saturday...Welcome Mike 8)

8)........TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

xswheels

Hey can I bring back #8 ::). The rear tire has worn out. :laugh:

Re-Vision

Does it spew gas because of a bad gasket in the filler cap.  Where do you drill a hole in the tank?  How big?  BDC

vadasz1

If you drill the four lowest points I garauntee you won't have ANY stalling problems.  I cna't garauntee it to start but it definately won't stall anymore.   8)
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

Tiger

Quote from: xswheels on September 19, 2009, 08:48:56 PM
Hey can I bring back #8 ::). The rear tire has worn out. :laugh:

:) Hahahahaha, sure you can... 8) Its always good to see my rebuilt family and their new owners...LOL

Quote from: Re-Vision on September 19, 2009, 10:07:34 PM
Does it spew gas because of a bad gasket in the filler cap.  Where do you drill a hole in the tank?  How big?  BDC

Normally no..this happens, generally, when you gas up...

Due to the shape of the top of the gas tank/filler area and the offset position of the filler cap, air gets trapped at the high point. The combination of a hot gas tank, at the bottom due to engine heat rise, a hot sunny day and ice cold gas, a gas eruption can occur all over your new paint work!!!

To fix this...as explained to me by JasonM, here on the ROV and at Night_Vision's run a few weeks ago when I was over in Syracuse...

Remove the gas filler cap...just inside you will see a "shoulder" were the gas cap locks in to...drill through the shoulder (right on the shoulders edge) and the next layer of steel with a 1/8" drill bit at a 45 ('ish) degree angle...at approx' 3 and 9 o'clock.
This will allow the air that is trapped, as you fill up with gas, to vent out and stop the gas volcano eruption before it happens. It also allows for a wee bit more gas/gas milage increase ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

YellowJacket!

AND MAKE SURE YOUR TANK IS EMPTY WHEN YOU DRILL!!!!!

We had a kid in the ER that was making pipe bombs and forgot to drill the hole for the fuse.  He put the pipe between his legs and proceeded to drill through the steel endcap.  When the red hot drill bit hit the powder....KERPOW!!!  Blew everything from his belly button down into nothing.  He died of course... but was still alive for a bit when EMS got to him.  Sorta like the guy dragging his torso up the beach in "Saving rivate Ryan".

MAKE SURE YOUR TANK IS EMPTY!

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

kev10104

Your absolutely right Tiger;your babies are coming home to see you.Seeing the new owners must be real nice with there great big smiles on their faces.Funny,Harley riders always look miserable but vision riders are always smiling.Hmm....

funkamongus

YJ,, sad, but darwinian, yes?
I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

Tiger

Quote from: YellowJacket! on September 20, 2009, 09:21:42 AM
AND MAKE SURE YOUR TANK IS EMPTY WHEN YOU DRILL!!!!!

:) Hmmmmmm, good point...but I never do and I've done several :o

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Rick G

I use a scratch awl to make the vent hole. I've drilled them , but the scratch awl is easier.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Lucky

I tried to drill mine but the bit kept slipping, even a DeWalt..  i'll try it with a center punch first next time...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

sunburnedaz

Would attempting to fix the check ball on the gas cap not give satisfactory results or is this a better fix than the check ball on the cap could ever hope to be?
1982 Yamaha XZ550 - Almost bone stock
2005 Honda F4i - Nothing stock
98 ZX-6R Track Bike
1998 Chevy truck - AKA recovery truck

Tiger

Quote from: sunburnedaz on September 26, 2009, 03:07:02 AM
Would attempting to fix the check ball on the gas cap not give satisfactory results or is this a better fix than the check ball on the cap could ever hope to be?

:) Drilling allows the air to vent when your filling up with gas...and will stop a gas eruption over your paint work and on to a hot engine!!! Even if your quick enough to get the gas cap on, gas can still leak out under pressure.

8).......TIGER....... 8)