News:

Main Menu

Rust, chrome & recovery

Started by Lucky, September 23, 2009, 10:08:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky

After a brutal summer, there is finally light at the end of the tunnel.

We are slowly recovering from our financial crisis, moving about as slow as our economy, but in the right direction.
Healthwise, i'm on the mend.  turns out i had 2 ruptered disks, but am now mostly out of pain, leg is still numb & i have no reflex reaction in it, but i'm not hurting.

I've started cleaning out my shop & a couple of days off worth of organising it should be usable again (it just got out of hand)

so here is my question:

For Fathers day this year Penny & the boys bought me that 1959 Western Flier bicycle i mentioned earlier.

i had taken it all apart & started cleaning the frame this summer before i got hurt. the frame is all chrome, but well covered with rust.  stainless steel wool reveiled nice chrome underneath, but to get to it was A LOT of work for small areas.

what do you think would happen if i soaked the frame in either phosphoric acid or muriatic acid?  my fear is that the chemical would get under the chrome & peel it up.  i think the chrome is pretty thick though.

if worse comes to worse i'll paint it candy apple red, i can't afford rechroming, & it's not just the frame, 90% of the bike is chrome...

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Kiwi

There are rotary tool bits that work well.  I've used the stainless steel brush on chrome rims and it works great!
US 82 XZ550 with the flapper Airbox

YellowJacket!

Hey Lucky  Glad you are doing well.  I think the phosphoric acid will mess up the chrome.  You could always find something chromed to test it on...like your neighbors bumper or something...to see if it will mar the finish.

BTW,
We NEED to go for another ride before bad weather starts setting in.

Miss ya my friend,

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Brian Moffet

I used 0000 steel wool on my front forks, and chrome polish at the same time. 

As far as your back is concerned, do your physical therapy. My wife had a herniated disk (L3/L4?) which required surgery to take care of.  She lost complete motor control of the leg when it happened, no feeling, nothing.  Even after the surgery, she did the physical therapy and the control and strength came back to almost normal.  She still has pain in her back, 12 years after the surgery, but keeping the exercises up helps quite a bit.

I know, not necessarily a hopeful message about it, but...

Brian

Night Vision

I used muriatic acid to etch a chromed headlight ring before I painted it...... worked good..

what do you have to lose?

it'll either take the rust off or it'll be prepped for paint
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

kiawrench

Lucky,

fastest and safest method of stripping the rust to find the jewel is to continue with steel wool , use several grades ,and a small bucket full of CLR.

use the steel wool like a sponge, dip into CLR, apply to area to be cleaned, then scrub with progressive grades of wool. it is quick, nearly effortless once clr cracks the code on the rust ,and safer than acids .

keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

Tiger

:) I use SOLVO-AUTOSOL...Quick and easy method of removing rust and grime...and polishes to a great protective finish... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

GT @ oh.

I used a jelly like rust remover and it worked great...... dab/brush on....... wash off  .....I was shocked at how much rust was removed exposing shiney chrome......ie. exhuast pipes/box worked on various painted pieces frame/bolts/nuts but I'll need to repaint where rust was........thinking of using small brush and enamel paint to touch up those spots.......keep off the unpainted plastics tho...... it left a residue or?

Lucky

OK, good suggestions all, i'll have to pick up a bucket of elbow grease as well...  ;)
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

funkamongus

AH yes,, the bucket of elbow grease,, if ya get a good deal on some,, get some for me too!!!!
I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

kiawrench

Lucky-

( And anyone else that needs this stuff)

www.kalecoauto.com

they have it all : seasonal air , cross drilled brake lines, elbow grease ,knutson valves  co-pilot adjustment tool , even the very hard to find instant truck lowering kit . 

am sort of looking at the car to tank kit myself, may help with anti biker outlook around here .
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

funkamongus

GREAT site!! I got the adjustable power band, and the big brass balls, repops of racers big balls.. Man, I needed them too,, I havent seen em since I got divorced.
I own:

funkamongus

The engine oil bypass kit makes sense too,, why WOULD anyone want to make their oil dirty by running it through their engine.. Keep it clean!!!! LOVE this site!! I wonder how much they actually sell!!  After looking through it,, I also purchased the Elbow grease, and the blinker fluid.. Ive been looking for that for a while,, my blinkers got slow. I find it amazing that Napa doesnt sell these awfully important parts for too much money... Theyre missing out on market share here.
I own:

Walt_M.

I'm not sure which would be more useful, the tank conversion kit or the red headlights. Probably be too late to warn Dave not to visit that site while drinking coffee!
Whale oil beef hooked!

funkamongus

yeah! He needs a screen protector!!
I own:

h2olawyer

If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Kid Jedi

muratic works great on the rust, if the rust got under the chrome it will flake there, but when rust gets under chrome it gets a bubbly appearance any way.

You can cut the muratic with water to "slow down" how fast it works so you can dip it slowly
Loves to over think things.

kiawrench

lucky_ i forgot to tell you ,,,, put those kids on the scrubbing part, gives you more time to watch NASCAR !

if they complain,tell them the story of having to walk to school every day, in driving snow, 5 miles uphill each way ,all while carrying your books, lunchbox, spare sling-shot ,and an apple for the teacher .

that should confuse them enough to get whole bike shining like a new one .

Kid Jedi

5 miles in the snow, up hill both ways Just to get an ice cube!
Loves to over think things.