What would you do?

Started by flyinbike, September 27, 2009, 12:14:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyinbike

Well I have a decision to make. Im currently looking at a 83 s-10 with a 350 in it and it runs good. Nice truck for $3000, but I also want to buy a brand new triumph daytona 675. Should I buy the truck as a daily driver then cruise with vision on the weekends? Or should I just drive the vision daily and take the daytona out on the weekends or for cruises?

I figureI can only get one or the other. Bike or truck?I'm living at home and just need to travel 15kms to school everyday... :-\

Kid Jedi

Depends, will you ride in the rain?
Say your vision craps out ( and say burns a stator?), that truck sure would be nice to use to pick her up! if you change your mind later the value on that truck is not gonna go down much, but that Daytona will loose 2k in resale as soon as you sign the pink.

if you wait a year that truck will not change much, but you never know what improvements next years motorcycle will have

And that truck seems a little pricey

What if you hurt your self and cant ride to class?

Loves to over think things.

Kojo

I don't know about the 675.. I like the look of the Bonneville much more  ;)

If you live in an area that rains quite a bit, and you don't feel like carrying riding clothes during the day and your daytime clothes while you ride (In a plastic garbage bag to keep them dry, a trick I learned doing mountain backpacking) and being generally wet and dirty, then I'd get another bike.

Personally, I like to buy used (Since the devaluation that Kid Jedi mentioned has been taken for you) with low miles. You don't always get EXACTLY what you want, but it is sure cheaper. But that's another issue.

Oh! Another thing I just thought of is if your job might need you to haul some things, it sure is handy to have a car or truck. And picking up ladies for a night out is much easier to convince them if you've got a car or truck rather than just a motorcycle. But that might not be a problem for you ;D
Younger, but just as smart. Really.

Re-Vision

Buy the Daytona if you have access to an automobile during inclement weather.  I'd rather have a new Triumph than an old truck any day.  I've always regretted not buying that new Norton 750 about forty years ago ($1100).  Jmo.  BDC

flyinbike

I think I would ride in the rain most days, but might get sick of it after a while. Maybe I should just consider buying a cheaper beater just in case, then buy the daytona?

sunburnedaz

Get the Daytona, and by a cheap (like sub 500 or sub 1000) beater car for bad days, groceries etc. Get a cheap hitch for it and you can get a little adapter to pull the bikes with should they break down or need to head to the shop.
1982 Yamaha XZ550 - Almost bone stock
2005 Honda F4i - Nothing stock
98 ZX-6R Track Bike
1998 Chevy truck - AKA recovery truck

flyinbike

Quote from: sunburnedaz on September 27, 2009, 02:17:05 AM
Get the Daytona, and by a cheap (like sub 500 or sub 1000) beater car for bad days, groceries etc. Get a cheap hitch for it and you can get a little adapter to pull the bikes with should they break down or need to head to the shop.

exactly my thoughts! but im living at home and dont need to buy groceries! uahuha

vadasz1

I don't see a need for such a big engine just for commuting to scholl for.  I do if you are hauling big loads or are planning to drag race the truck.  But I would buy a beater truck like the Kid said and use it for hauling the bikes whenever they require repair.  Also you can deffer the Daytona and put that money into making a really customized Vision.  Right Kid Jedi?  8)
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

kiawrench

fly . save the money, skip them both , buy a small truck with a realistic price 3k for a project truck is just too high. offer the guy 750 for it , then go pick a better bike .
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

Kid Jedi

the vision is going to be my 6k motorcycle. I am up to about 2.5k already

funkamongus

whew.. lots o cash.. Times must be good in your neck of the woods.
I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

Brian Moffet

And people think I am insane for spending 3100 for mine when I did....

Brian

funkamongus

Its not insane if you have it.. Im glad for you guys!
I own:

Brian Moffet

remember though, my 3100 was in 1986 dollars  ;D

funkamongus

not a bad investment considering its still on the road!!!
I own:

Kid Jedi

its easy to justify 8k for a modern motorcycle, I could make the vision modern for less than that much!

flyinbike

Yeah the daytona is $14,000 out the door. I will have a big down payment of about $7,000, so monthly payments should be less than $140/month.

Which isn't bad.....

Kid Jedi

Don't get me wrong, there aren't many points in your life when you can go out an buy a bike like that, now, and after your kids move out, buying that bike would be a good jump start on a good credit score, just make sure you have a working car in case shite hits the fan

Lucky

We could retitle this post WWJD? (What Would Jedi Do?) ;D
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

don_vanecek

I don't see where you live. To have your MC as your primary vehicle will take a really special commitment irregardless of where you live and frankly is not realalistic in the part of the county that I live in (eastern NE). I haven't seen any posts by Zore for some time-he was about the most committed daily rider I have seen on this forum-didn't he also have a Daytona?  If you lived in my area I would tell you the bike (rather Vision or any other) is sure great fun for maybe five months if your pretty hard core but you better make sure you have a dependable four wheeler for the rest of the time.  Zore, where are you????

There certainly however is some truth to the augment that if you don't get it now you may never get it later in life-the people that I know who get to move on to bigger and better bikes are either single or have wife's who also enjoy either riding with or driving their own bikes-so make sure that girl you date enjoys the rides also! 

One last comment, unless you are your own mechanic, I would be just abit leary of an old S-10 with a 350 put in it-any problems and shops may not want to work on that (could be however that 350 will last forever).