News:

Main Menu

Best 82 Possible

Started by Re-Vision, September 29, 2009, 09:07:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Re-Vision

Considering the scarcity and cost of 83 parts, I kind of wanted to poll Visionaries as to their thoughts and ideas about upgrading the 82 model.  Some items just might not be worthwhile. Your thoughts?
1. Suspension: 82 or 83 shock or more modern monoshock
2. Carburetors:82 carbs or 83
3. Handlebars: 82 high risers or low 83's or other
4. Brakes,front shocks : 82 or 83 or European (400cc)
5. Riding posture: Foot pegs and shifter linkage
6. Other things (YICS on or off,Fuel tank and gauges, fairing)
7. Anything else

don_vanecek

Good front brake pads, braided brake line , good tires, a volt meter and a small faring. All this assumes you have solved the problems of clean adjusted carbs, stator, starter clutch, head bearings, fork seals, a decent seat, and a good gas tank.  It certainly is a shame we can't get a nice rear shock that needs no hanky panky to get it to fit and a reasonable price!  I just don't know if it is cost effective to do much more then just ride it!! 

heck, why am I answering this, just read Tigers' posts!

h2olawyer

Over the past 5 years, I've managed to make just about all the 82 to 83 upgrades.  it has made the bike much more comfortable for me and it does perform better.  I still need to finish my 83 carb / fuel tank / petcock / engine mount project but all other 83 upgrades are complete.

1.  The 83 shock is light years ahead of the 82.  But, they are getting harder to find and rigging an adapter to use a different, more modern shock would give even better results.

2.  The 82 carbs can be made to work just fine.  They take a little more futzing to get them spot on, but when they are, they are great.  Doing the 83 carbs also requires finding an 83 tank (or modifying the 82) and the rear engine mount needs to be modified or replaced with an 83 unit as well.  In addition, the bottom of the 83 airbox has a clearance notch molded into it and the 82 airbox will interfere with  the 83 carbs.  It is a big project and not really necessary.  That's why I left it for the final upgrade on mine and it took the longest to amass all the necessary parts.

3.  83 risers will set you a little more forward.  They are some of the more readily available 83 parts and will put you in a slightly more aggressive riding position.  This was the first 83 upgrade I did and the results were not huge, but noticeable  these are really a matter of preference.  If you add an 83 full fairing, they will fit into the recesses better & have more clearance in a full lock turn.

4.  Brakes are a worthwhile upgrade.  You can use the 82 master & caliper but the addition of a braided stainless line will work wonders.  I did the 83 master, calipers, pads, fluid and stainless lines all at the same time & the braking performance upgrade was amazing.  Not sure what made the most difference, but the braided stainless line alone is a huge upgrade.  I still want to add a set of Progressive springs to my forks as the 83 springs are very similar to the 82s.  The 83 air caps do help stiffen the front a bit and I seem to bottom the forks less when going slowly over large speed bumps & entering my driveway.  Also, make sure to upgrade the steering bearings to the tapered roller variety.  No further explanation - just do it.  I also like the foam grips from Grab On (others like gel grips as well).

5.  Footpegs, brake pedal & shifter linkage are another matter for personal preference.  With the 82 setup, I found myself often sliding my feet back so my toes were on the pegs.  It made it easier for me to take my (considerable) weight off the seat so I could move around for cornering.  It is even easier to do (for me) with the 83 peg setup and I only need to get on the balls of my feet for the same leverage so it just feels more secure than it did on my toes.  I'm finding it difficult to locate these 83 parts nowdays.

6.  I prefer having the YICS installed & functioning properly.  No empirical evidence, but my bike seems to run better with it than without.  Feels a little smoother and seems to have just a tad more power.  Again, nothing more than seat of the pants to back this up.  The 83 fuel tank is almost required if you are planning on going with the 83 carbs.  Also, adding the 83 tank will allow you to hook up the fuel gauge on the 83 gauges (assuming you find a set)  The full fairing increases the siding season by a couple weeks for me.  I really prefer the look of the shark fairing as it shows off the engine better and just looks 'right' to me.  Again, personal preference, but I do like the warm air availability in cold weather with the full fairing.  the full fairing also gives a place to easily add a volt gauge and switches for manually operating the cooling fan and auxilliary lights.

7.  It is your bike.  Make it personal to you.  Some of us prefer using the stock parts that originally came on the V in 82 & 83.  I'm in that crowd, but have absolutely nothing against using other bits & pieces that can be made to fit and further improve the bike.  No matter how many of the upgrades I install, I'll still have an 82 Vision - but it has been upgraded as I see fit, not how others think it should be.  Consider making as many safety related upgrades as possible - brake line(s) & auxilliary lights can go a long ways in helping you avoid problems by stopping quicker & being seen in the first place.

These are just my observations, opinions & experiences.  Others will have different ideas.  Pick & choose among them as you see fit & for what you can find.  Parts for 83s are scarce in general and often much more $$ than a similar 82 part.  Good luck finding an 83 tank in good shape.  There are some out there, but are difficult to locate.  Some of the full fairing parts are pretty much unobtanium as are 83 carbs & good, operational 83 petcocks.  Fork lowers & right side calipers are also rare.  Keep your eyes on ebay, craigslist & make requests here occasionally.  You should eventually find the parts you seek.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Kid Jedi

Ditto on everything H2O said, its YOUR bike it must fit YOU.

Its all about cost vs return. Upgrade the brakes and suspension, those are to 2 areas lacking the most in my opinion, and those improvement will improve the ride ability. Also getting a small fairing is worth consideration.

as for 82 vs 83 pegs and bars its about how they would fit you, what kind of riders triangle you are looking for?
Loves to over think things.

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Re-Vision on September 29, 2009, 09:07:51 PM

1. Suspension: 82 or 83 shock or more modern monoshock.  Gone to the 83 monoshock - big improvement
2. Carburetors:82 carbs or 83 - have not done that...yet
3. Handlebars: 82 high risers or low 83's or other. Have had both.  Like the 83's better
4. Brakes,front shocks : 82 or 83 or European (400cc).  Upgraded to an 83 front end.  Best upgrade I've done so far!!
5. Riding posture: Foot pegs and shifter linkage.  Did not do...can't find the parts
6. Other things (YICS on or off,Fuel tank and gauges, fairing).  I use my YICS.  Custom electronic gauges
7. Anything else.  Riding lights, marker lights, saddle bags

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Kojo

The only input I have is parroting what I've heard. The early 82 airbox makes some stutter around 4500rpms, so if you can find a newer one replace it.
Younger, but just as smart. Really.