A Small SoROV Git Together - Got to meet QBS

Started by YellowJacket!, October 03, 2009, 01:54:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowJacket!

I got a call from QBS several days ago to let me know that he will be in the area so we're going to have a little get together...sans the Visions.  We're gonna meet at my place tomorrow (Sun) and head out for some brunch via the cages, but he will at least have a chance to see YJ and one of Lucky's bikes.
I just spoke to him (QBS) a little while ago and he was in Robbinsville NC heading this way via Hwy 129 (The Dragon) in his minivan!  Good Luck QBS, watch out for crazy drivers and don't forget the get the sticker!  Afterall, driving the Dragon in a minivan still qualifies you.  :D
Anyway, looking forward to meeting QBS tomorrow.
Pictures will be posted.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

YellowJacket!

Today was a great day.  I just have to say it.

I think one of the greatest attributes of Riders of Vision is the sense of camaraderie that we all share. We all have a common vision (pun intended) and a common bond.  Many of us know each other like we have been best friends for many years yet we may have never met.  We have shared good times and bad, sickness and health and lots of many things in between.  Of course many of us are lucky to get the opportunity to meet other ROV members in person or in group gatherings.

Over the last several years I have had the pleasure of meeting several members myself; Lucky, Motorplow, Mutt, Kiawrench, Tailwheel, Serendipity, and for a short period of time, Cole.  Today I got to meet QBS and his wife Kathy, and like in the past, although we had never met before, it was like "old times" and we were just reuniting after a long time.

QBS arrived just before Lucky this morning and we were out in my driveway talking Vision when off in the distance we heard that distinctive, one of a kind sound – the sound of a Vision.  It should be trademarked as it is unlike any other motorcycle sound, whether it has MAC's or not.  You just can't mistake it.  About 30 seconds later, Lucky did his drive by and pulled into my driveway.

The conversation continued for over an hour. For those of you that may remember, the same thing happened to me a few years ago when motorplow and mutt came over.  I heard the Visions long before they pulled into my driveway and left the burgers on the grill unattended for about 45 minutes.  I have since been banned from grilling burgers and have turned the greasy spatula over to my step son who does an outstanding job of grilling.  But burgers weren't on the menu today – we were going out for Sunday brunch.

Anyway, we stood out in my driveway; Vicki and Cathy chattering up a storm and me, Lucky and QBS going over YJ and Café Vision with a fine tooth comb.  We all talked forever.  After a while our stomachs told us it was time to head out and eat some brunch where the conversation continued for some time more.  Great omlette's too...
After brunch we headed back to my place and looked first at the pictures of YJ from the day I got her through the years of restoration and re-restoration.  All along, each of us telling our respective stories of our Visions.

After showing off YJ's pictures QBS showed us his pictures of his Alaska trip where he got to meet another Visionary – AKVision.  Again, some wonderful pictures and stories.

It was an amazing day of which I wish I could have spent more time enjoying but Vicki and I had to break away to go to her parents house for a visit I had forgotten about.  QBS, Cathy and Lucky headed out to Lucky's house to take a look at Touring Vision, and I'm sure much more Vision stories.  Today made me proud to be a Visionary and be a part of this wonderful group.  Even though we didn't get to ride together it was a fantastic day.  I think we all left with a feeling that we had made friendships that will last a lifetime.

QBS and Cathy, it was great meeting you and I hope to see you again soon.  To all my other Riders of Vision brothers and sisters, I hope too that I can meet all of you as well.  You are all a great bunch of friends.
Pictures forthcoming.

David

YellowJacket!

don_vanecek

Great pictures, nice to see QBS again!  And don't let that gentlemen in the yellow shirt fool you, had his Vision been there he would have followed you up the dragon TWO UP and it would look so easy. :D

funkamongus

WOW So clean you could eat off of it!! I have to say it again..WOW!!!! I have to admit feeling a bit of an emotional tug hearing of the passing of the spatula. It happens in the course of a mans life and you handled it very gracefully! (by going out to eat!) LOL Just kidding.. Sounds like a great time and I have to say again, I cant believe how perfect the two bikes both look. Youd never guess they were nearly 30 years old!
I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

YellowJacket!

Hey wait.....  I'm not in any of the pictures.  Gotta get my wifes camera and upload them.

David

Re-Vision

Both bikes are beautiful but I have one question. Isn't the shifter moved back to the extreme, I get leg cramps when I put my feet that far back.  The tail treatment looks great too Lucky.  YJ,rather than paint those bags to match that gorgeous yellow, maybe you could sell them to me, think they would blend with my silver bike (just joking sort of). They set well on the Vision. Truly appreciate the pictures, a little difficult to know exactly who's who without labels, perhaps someone could provide that so we'll know who you are if we get to meet ya'll someday.  Really nice.  BDC

akvision

Yes, right on all accounts.  I hope to meet up with QBS and Cathy again on the next Alaska camping trip.  We had a great time.
1960 BMW R-50 "Hanz" reborn April 24, 2009 , Ketchikan
1982 "V" AKBluv, Denver, traded for BMW R1100S
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"
1977 BMW R75/7, Green Lantern Cafe Project
Deep In the INSIDE PASSAGE, Alaska

YellowJacket!

Revision,
ATM, I'm not in any of the pics.  I have to upload them from my wifes camera card and post them...prob tonight.

As for who's who, Lucky is the guy with the beard, QBS is wearing the suspenders, my wife has on the orange shirt and Cathy (QBS's wife) has on the purplish colored shirt.

I can 't speak for Lucky about the shifter mod but it really looks cool.  He looked pretty comfortable riding it here and really didn't seem to have any complaints about it.  AFAIK, Cafe is a work in progress so that is just a little part of the big picture.

I think he will fill us in on the details.

David

GT @ oh.

Did you sandblast that engine to get it that clean Lucky....... Wow....whats the secret.

YellowJacket!

Here's a photo of the whole gang.

From L to R: Lucky, Vicki (My wife), Cathy (QBS's wife), QBS, and Me.

David

funkamongus

I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

Kojo

Wow you guys have such clean rides. Makes me itch to get back to work on mine.
Younger, but just as smart. Really.

Rick G

Wonderful get together!!  I envy you all!  Bob (QBS) reminds me of William Shattner. LOL
Lucky has put on weight, since his Arnold picture was posted!! LOL ;D ;D ;D.

Kojo, your new carb mounts should be here soon , and then I can start tuning it, the old ones were done.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Lucky

my secret for a clean engine? :D :D

Cromium-aluminum paint from Ace hardware.
It's a brush on, but levels well.
i've been touting this stuff for about 2 years now, everyone passed it off. till now :D
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

kev10104

Thoses bikes look fantastic.So clean.I have spent hours trying to get mine to look like that but not even close.Well done guys.

YellowJacket!

Quote from: kev10104 on October 19, 2009, 07:31:31 AM
....I have spent hours trying to get mine to look like that but not even close.Well done guys.

Heh heh heh .... I've spent years trying to get mine to look that good.  Still have  along way to go.  The picture makes it look a lot better than it really is.  Lots of work left on the engine.

Thanks.  :-)

David

akvision

1960 BMW R-50 "Hanz" reborn April 24, 2009 , Ketchikan
1982 "V" AKBluv, Denver, traded for BMW R1100S
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"
1977 BMW R75/7, Green Lantern Cafe Project
Deep In the INSIDE PASSAGE, Alaska

Lucky

yeah, but it's really good silver (aluminum) paint!  :D ;D
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

QBS

YJ, thanks for the great post.  Kathy and I are now in Leeds AL.  Thats the home of the Barber Motorsports Motorcycle Museum at which we will spend 7 hours going through tomorrow.  However, with 750 bikes to see, we will barely make a dent in the collection.  All the more reason to return again.  Will report back in a few days.