News:

Main Menu

Number #16 is SOLD!!...

Started by Tiger, October 11, 2009, 05:01:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kid Jedi

Yerp, Your story is much more likely.

Why has the black paint flaked off of the right clip on more than the left i wonder? and why doesn't the pattern cross to the tripple tree? and who would attack a hi beam and oil light with a grinder?

Me? incessant questions? No Way!  ::)
Loves to over think things.

Tiger

Quote from: Kid Jedi on October 16, 2009, 03:15:52 AM
Yerp, Your story is much more likely. Me? incessant questions? No Way!  ::)

I have no problem with questions at all....however, I do believe that no matter what I answer, you have a way to twist it around...I think you just like to play devils advocate.

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Re-Vision

Its amazing what can be learned from photographs, I've deduced that at least one of the previous owners had a bony butt.  BDC

Kid Jedi

I do like to play devils advocate, but its fueled by curiosity, not malevolence.
Loves to over think things.

seabee

Man that paint looks pretty darn good in the pics. I kinda like that color too.
***1982 Yamaha XZ 550 Vision***

Tiger

Quote from: seabee on October 18, 2009, 01:24:45 AM
Man that paint looks pretty darn good in the pics. I kinda like that color too.

:) Thanks buddy, it is in pretty good nick. Its oem Star Silver...which mine was before it went to custom Pearl Orange four years ago!!!

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

Tiger

:) Left her alone for a wee while but got back in to her the last few nights... ;)

Removed the OEM exhaust system, the right muffler was completely detached were you can see the split in the pictures!!! Removed the rear wheel/brake bar/brake adjuster rod/brake pedal/both rear foot pegs and both aluminum plates that they attach to. Drained the rear drive oil and washed off the drain and filler plugs. Removed the oem fuse box and removed the rear fender. ALL the fasteners...nuts/bolts/washers/cotter pins, etc, went in to the recycle box!!!

Rear drive oil was refilled with fresh oil...and the drive splines washed out and lubed.
The rear brake was cleaned out with brake and parts cleaner and the actuator arm removed, cleaned, lubed and reinstalled.
Rear brake bar was stripped clean to bare metal, primed and repainted...as was the rear brake adjuster rod/spring/nut.
Both of the Aluminum plates were replaced with a pair that have been sand blasted, three black pin stripes added in the grooves and given a few coats of clear lacquer.
All the above parts were then reinstalled on to #16... 8)

I made a bracket for the R/R and attached it to the rear left side fender bolt... 8)

New in-line fuse holders and fuses have replaced the oem fuse box... 8)

The oem exhaust system has now been replaced by a nice MAC system... 8)

Rear fender has been "bobbed" and reinstalled... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)

seabee

"Rear fender has been "bobbed" and reinstalled..."

What does "bobbed" mean? Also how much is a Mac exhaust, where do recommend buying one and do you all think it is worth it for the money?

Thanks very much!

vadasz1

v.tr.
To cut short or reshape: bobbed her hair; had his nose bobbed.

As quoted from the FreeDictionary.com
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

Tiger

Quote from: seabee on October 22, 2009, 12:05:38 AM

"Rear fender has been "bobbed" and reinstalled..."

What does "bobbed" mean?

:) I remove the rear fender, remove the licence plate light fixture and the metal plate. Next, I measure and mark the fender... with a set of metal shears I cut the fender down to the required length and reinstall. I do this with most of my rebuilds... ;)
The rear light is replaced with a smaller unit, sometimes LED, sometimes not...I have actually drilled the underside of one back light unit, glued in two clear plastic discs and ...VOILA!!!...clear light onto the licence plate... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Tiger

Quote from: seabee on October 22, 2009, 12:05:38 AM
how much is a Mac exhaust, where do recommend buying one and do you all think it is worth it for the money?

:) As an alternative, the after market MAC system is, I think, good value for the money. The system is several pounds lighter than the oem system and you don't need to re-jet when you install.

They are still available new from MAC, who are an American outfit, for $300.00...here is a link for you:
http://bing.search.sympatico.ca/?q=mac%20EXHAUST%20SYSTEMS&mkt=en-ca&setLang=en-CA
Go "MOTORCYCLES" and search "Yamaha Vision"... Your search produced 1 results. 
Product Name  Price 
XZ 550 Vision 82-83 - Black w/Chrome Muffler  299.50

You may be able to source a set here on the ROV...post a thread, its FREE!! Check out eBay, Craig's list, etc...and...your local bike wreckers.

The "PREDITOR" system, which is Stainless Steel, is still available from the U.K. for around $1,000.00 U S D!!!

Brian_Mathewson Fabricated a system using an R1 or R6 muffler...try a search for it here on the ROV...it could be a less expensive alternative but not certain... :-\

:) I have run with MAC's on "The Mistress" for four years but changed them out for a "WOLF" system, which came in on #14...this is a rare system to find as they stopped production several years ago...sad as they are a great set up... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)

seabee

Wow thanks very much for all the info. Tiger! I really appreciate.

Tiger

Quote from: seabee on October 27, 2009, 01:03:11 AM
Wow thanks very much for all the info. Tiger! I really appreciate.

8) Your welcome... 8)

Tiger

:) From the carbs back most everything is done... ;)

So, I've started the front end...Handlebars, risers, top triple tree, headlight bracket, etc have been removed and are ready to go out for sand/bead blasting.

The headlight bucket, front fender, etc, will go into the laundry tub for a good wash, dry and polish.

Front brake assembly, complete, was removed and will be stripped, cleaned and serviced before being rebuilt.

The front forks have been removed and will be drained, stripped, cleaned (inside and out)...and will be rebuilt using new seals and fresh 15wt fork oil.

I have a set of new steering head tapered bearing that will be fitted, once all the service work is complete...  ;)

A new set of handle bar grips have been picked up and will be fitted once everything is back together 8)

Slowly but surely she is coming together...and will put a wide smile on somebodies face come the new riding season 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)

kev10104

It already put a smile on my face.Well done buddy.

Tiger

:) Amazing what you can get done in several hours when left alone... ;)

New top/bottom, tapered steering head bearings/lower triple tree fitted... 8)

Front forks overhauled, (new oil seals/15wt fork oil installed) and reinstalled... 8)

Freshly painted, (Black), top triple tree, '82 risers, handle bars, gauge cluster reinstalled, along with new handle bar grips, a "new" set of idiot lights and ignition switch... 8)

Headlight bracket/Headlight bucket reinstalled... 8)

Front signals, now with short stalks (recycled from long stalks) reinstalled... 8)

All the wire loom/handle bar switch connections fitted back in to the Headlight bucket, cleaned, smeared with dielectric grease and reconnected... 8)

Front fender and wheel reinstalled along with the speedo cable, which was cleaned and re lubed... 8)

8)........TIGER....... 8)

Tiger

:) The front brake caliper has been cleaned, lubed and reinstalled along with the master cylinder/brake lever.

The brake pads were utilised, as they are fairly new...just a rub over the pad surface with some emery cloth to get rid of the wee bit of glazing that occurs, a quick flush with brake & parts cleaner, add a wee bit off anti-squeal on the back of each and then reinstalled

Fresh, dot 3, brake fluid has been pumped through and the whole system has been completely bled off.

Its now working as well as an '82 Vision front brake system will work, with the oem rubber brake line ::) :D :D :D :D... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Re-Vision

Surely you're not going to let it leave out with a rubber brake line!  I don't know if you've mentioned it before but could you say what handle grips you recommend.  Looking forward to seeing pictures of the new bike, couldn't tell if Vadasz removed the lip from the bottom of the tank but they did look nice.  BDC

vadasz1

RE-Vision, this bike did not go thru my paint shop.  Check the post for "Guilty again (#14) and...again (#15)!!!" of Tiger's that I have added the current pics to.  And I DO fill in the lip area AFTER the bottom has been glassed over.
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

Tiger

Quote from: Re-Vision on October 31, 2009, 09:12:18 AM
Surely you're not going to let it leave out with a rubber brake line!  I don't know if you've mentioned it before but could you say what handle grips you recommend.  Looking forward to seeing pictures of the new bike, couldn't tell if Vadasz removed the lip from the bottom of the tank but they did look nice.  BDC
:) Ooh yes I am...The more money I pour in to a rebuild the more I would need to lump on to the sale price. I normally charge around $1,250.00 per rebuild, give or take!!!...beside I have to give the new owner something to do  ::) ;D :D :D :D :D :D... ;)
In truth, I'm lucky to break even as it is. I never set out to make money...the idea was to gain experience with the first Vision rebuild that I did and then transfer my new found knowledge to "The Mistress", (my own Vision). However, the experience became a hobby, which, for the most part, I enjoy.

I think hand grips are very much an individual choice really. As I'm going around the bike shops, I generally look for a decent set that is on sale...and then buy them for the next rebuild ;)

This little lady is going out in her original Yamaha colours, as the paint work is in good condition over all... 8)

Thank you for you interest... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)