no power to the start button ?

Started by ejo, October 12, 2009, 07:51:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ejo

Hi guys, Tech help needed please.
Last weekend my bike would turn the motor off the start button, I knew she wasn't going to start but I wanted to check for a spark at the plugs and to finger check compresion, spark good, compresion good (for a finger test !). Took carbs off for major de-gunge and clean up, (Pics will be loaded in seperate thread later) Carbs good, put back on bike. This weekend I Installed a new, fully charged battery, hit starter button........ NOTHING !
Out comes Manuel(manwell) Haynes, Check stop button, Good. Check side stand switch, it doesn't have one, its been by-passed. Check clutch switch, it doesn't have one, its been by-passed. Check starter cut off relay, it doesnt have one, its been by-passed. Check starter button, Good. Check Starter solenoid, Good.
But I still have nothing from the button, not even a dimming of the lights on full beam.
I've traced out all the bits from the wireing diagram, but have I missed something ?

Night Vision

try putting her in first gear and rocking it back and forth a couple of times
and/or
tap the starter motor with a hammer
or
rock

your starter may be starting to act up.
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Tiger

:) Honker down, with a hammer, by the starter motor at the front of the Vision...switch on ignition, push starter switch and tap...repeat tap!!...the starter motor a couple of times...does it turn over now?? if so, drain the engine oil and remove the starter...open her up,...carefull, it may be full of oil!!!... clean out and rebuild with new brushes.

I've done two this year ::)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

ejo

I don't think its a starter motor problem, (the solenoid aint firing), I think it's a power problem (this is a GUESS !) from the button or to the button, If I by-pass the button (ie cross the solenoid) she turns, (of a sort, but thats another question for another thread).

Night Vision

Quote from: ejo on October 12, 2009, 08:21:53 PM

I don't think its a starter motor problem.....

easy enough to rule out
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

ejo

eventually found the problem, I must have over stressed the cables when fitting a new battery.