86 Ninja 600R

Started by Lucky, October 08, 2009, 02:31:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky

earlier this year my son did a swap on craigslist, his Daytona Cag pocket bike that he bought used for $60 with birthday money, replaced the chain & clutch & cleaned it up. he swapped it for a 110cc Loncin (chinese knock-off) dirt bike. this summer he cleaned it up, replaced a few parts & last week sold it for $350.

A few days ago we found a beat up Ninja 600 on craigslist for $250. no carbs, head off, seat torn, wires cut, plastics mostly not salvagable, but the engine turns. he bought it.. Oy Vay!!!  :D  he better get a job soon.  8)

So he now has it stripped down to the frame (with my assistance) he's pulling the swing arm today & i'll help him removing the ft end later theis week.  we're (ok, he) is going to sandblast the frame. we have a service manual ordered.

oh it even had a rats nest, complete with dehydrated rat, under the tail cone, lol!!

anyone own or have owned one of these? who's brain i can frequently pick?

i'm sure i'll find a forum on it, but i'll allways turn to you guys first.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

YellowJacket!

Ninja 600R... heh heh heh...  Once he finishis that thing, he's gonna outrun us!  But at least we can out-corner him.  :-)

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Lucky

I figure he'll be 27 when it's done... at least that's what i keep telling Penny.

Tiger

:) I have an '02 in my place which needs repair...One of our girls had a wee accident!!! The front fairing is $1,000.00!!! The two decals (Silver stripe) are $85.00 each!!!...from the dealer ::)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Kid Jedi

worked on a few, whats up lucky?
Loves to over think things.

Lucky

nothing specific yet, BUT, my son did discover some epoxy on the outside of the cylinder, & what looks like welding under the epoxy...
(how do you weld aluminum??!!)

once we have the engine together, out of the bike, i'll have to do a cooling system pressure test & see what's up with that...

Re-Vision

Punched a hole in my Vision radiator once, finally found a welder who knew how to heli-arc thin aluminum.  Cylinder welding should be fairly easy to find a welder.  Seen them rebuild broken fins on the engine.  BDC

Tiger

Quote from: Lucky on October 09, 2009, 06:45:38 AM
...how do you weld aluminum??!!

Easy...with the right wire ;) 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

sunburnedaz

I had a guy tig weld some aluminum blocks to my aluminum swingarm on my F4i so that I could use spools.
1982 Yamaha XZ550 - Almost bone stock
2005 Honda F4i - Nothing stock
98 ZX-6R Track Bike
1998 Chevy truck - AKA recovery truck

Kid Jedi

welding is REALLY tricky on heads. they LOVE to warp. I had a head welded then i had to get it cnc'ed and decked and it was barley back to spec on a GPZ 550
Loves to over think things.

Lucky

Kenny stripped the bike to the frame, i have borrowed a sandblaster from a coworker & he blasted the whole frame, primered it & painted it gloss black (appliance epoxy paint)

one thing i can say about this bike:
Wow! overengineered!, lol

--Lucky

Kevin

I wish we all lived close together. I can tig that up for you and you could fine tune the princess bike to get rid of the stumble. 

Rick G

The old name for is Heliarc , I believe.   In my youth I welded cracked Triumph primary covers , with an acetylene torch, aluminum rod and a powered flux !!!!  Its a lost art.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Kevin on October 13, 2009, 02:35:25 PM
I wish we all lived close together. I can tig that up for you and you could fine tune the princess bike to get rid of the stumble. 

You're welcome to come visit...  I have a garage and a guest room.  :-)

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

flyinbike

I have an 03 GSX-R750, and i still keep my vision around for when ever I think i need a tune up. :police: :police: