News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

The BluV will be Save!

Started by akvision, October 21, 2009, 07:15:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

akvision

Here we go... the start of another Adventure.... "Save the BluV".

Some back round.. We are talking about a 82 Hybrid Blue Vision in Southern California.   I came upon the dead bike on this site as one for sale in San Jose.  "Coil" had expressed interest in it and when the deal did not go...it was suddenly mine..my nephew lives over the hill in Santa Cruz, made the deal for me, picked it up.  It is non running, the cosmetics, paint are good to fair the frame good to some rust, the alum is crusty.. it looks like it was subject to weather and has non functional breaks, dead starter, and rotates but does not fire.  The unit has +38K miles.  Needs help and tires.  I have a functional starter (AKVISION spare), rebuilt carb set.

So, this weekend I take off for Southern California and Pharumph NV, (with a buddy, Mike) picking up a Chev C30 Cube van and bringing it north.  We will go to Santa Cruz and pick up the "BluV" bring it back to Alaska.  We are loading up with a bunch of other freight too.
Will be loaded by the time we head for Canada via 97 and 17 YellowKnife Highway to Prince George and Prince Rupert then by Alaska State Ferry 'Taku' to Ketchikan.

We will unload it and put it in my shop and I will bring this Blu-baby back to life.  Mike is interested in it, so.. we are going to make it happen and get a new visionary too.   We are going to work on the project together.

We will post pictures and keep updated on this thread.  AKvision.
1960 BMW R-50 "Hanz" reborn April 24, 2009 , Ketchikan
1982 "V" AKBluv, Denver, traded for BMW R1100S
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"
1977 BMW R75/7, Green Lantern Cafe Project
Deep In the INSIDE PASSAGE, Alaska

Re-Vision

What makes you call it a hybrid?  Sounds like a good winter project.  BDC

akvision

Well, BDC... it has an 83 fairing and oil filler... and may other upgrades...  maybe it's a stretch..I will call it an 82 upgrade. ::)

Here is the original post on how I came to own it.

http://ridersofvision.net/rovforum/index.php?topic=10415.0

There are pictures and the BluV definitely needs work... but it will be running.. keep tuned. ;D
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"

rhpaw

03 buell xb9r - angry tractor

akvision

Hey, we are picking it up next Saturday..  don't forget to get that box of parts out of your garage and send along to me.
I will most likely looking for advice, rhpaw!
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"

rhpaw

Yeah, I haven't been out to the garage for a few weeks.. I guess I should get my butt in gear and do some much needed cleanup.

I've just been TOO SAD regarding the Buell news.. all I do is sit in my basement and cry.
:-[
03 buell xb9r - angry tractor

akvision

We got it! 
It's in the van and now in Puyallup, WA. 
On Wednesday we head for Canada on Highway 97 then on to Prince Rupert and Ketchikan. 

This bike is a definite save..  its a bit crusty, but all there and a little cleaning,tuning, carb work will get a bark and see where we go from there...  I will highgrade the Blu parts and swap out with AKV and make my Denver unit into the "Blu AKv.  The  blue paint is superior and the tank is like new.  But we will save it and transform from Blu to Black.

Will keep you posted when we get to Alaska.

akv
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"

Rick G

I wish I ahd known , I would have run over to Pahrump to shake you hand . By the way Tom Caffery says hello!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

akvision

Mr Caffery is quite the guy and a long time Ketchikan aquaintance!  I don't think he does M/C's though.
Small world.. got the brace too...thanks.
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"

akvision

Today, in Bellingham Washington and will be getting on the ferry for Alaska... The BluV should be in my shop by Sunday...
then the fun begins..
akv
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"

akvision

We have arrived!! :)

http://picasaweb.google.com/usa584/DropBox?authkey=Gv1sRgCI7ky4vH3J7m5QE&pli=1&gsessionid=HcPuzJrmY9IyQ7_iT5U4QQ#5401896556361514738

The BluV is in Alaska.  Now the real work begins.
We got here through a storm with 36' (yes, thirty six foot seas, and there needs to be a puke happy face) a little shook up but in one piece.  Out first winter gale.  No more dry weather for the V for now.  Will move to the shop and make space next to the Beemer and start to see what needs to be done.

The bike already looks like it has has some upgrades... fork brace, steel brake line on the first look.
Nothing looks like it has been badly wrenched... no obvious issues with leaks, coolant or oil.  Just observed issues of surface rust, and corrosion on the alum parts.  Front brakes are none functional like pumping air, no visible leaks on the fluid, clutch is very stiff, as well throttle is stuck open.  Thumb screw is rusted stuck and boots badly cracked.
Grips are none stock.  The paint is just about perfect.  Tank looks new.  Looks like someone started and gave up.  There is compression, but amounts are unknown????
Will move to garage is a couple of days, will keep posted

\The adventure continues.
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"

Night Vision

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

akvision

Nightvision,,,, that was exactly how it was..for half the ship... not me, as I'm a seafarer, as well as a cyclist. ::)
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"

Brian Moffet

QBS

Glad you're home safe.  Surprise headed your way.

Rick G

AK,  Tom does do bikes , he has a 250 Honda in Ketchikan and on the back of his bus, here in AZ.
I'm a former small boat sailor, I love rough weather , at least as far as not going green.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

akvision

It is in the shop. Tank, seat, air cleaner is off.  Butterflys are stuck open.  Carbs look good from the top, but don't they all.
It has the new vacuum connection on the airbox and all looks clean there. Fuse box is toast and replaced with quick clips and fuses.
Alum is really crappy and corroded. Rare swing arm is rusty as well the shock looks like ick.  I have a great spare even if it is a pogo stick.  It is nearly new with 5200miles on it.  Oh,, the tranny is a little stiff.  All the control cables are stuck and none operable.  The rest of it does not look badly molested.  Carb screws are straight and idle and mixture jets look intact.  Will just spray it down and let it sit for a while, thawing out...the plates say expire in 2003!  I guess I will spray some stuff in the cyl to keep loose.
My buddy Mike will be working on it with me.   It may stay Blu.
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"

akvision

Here are some photos of the start of disassembly. 
The BluV is pretty crusty, rusty, and corroded.  Bike is originally from Berkeley, CA.
Front forks are leaking.  This is a later model 82 that has been upgraded to a full fairing, oil filler and all. 

Unit#11H-011333.

http://picasaweb.google.com/usa584/DropBox?authkey=Gv1sRgCI7ky4vH3J7m5QE&pli=1&gsessionid=3an00n4ai5QylayLZIj_8Q#
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"

akvision

We have discovered the engine is stuck.  stuck. stuck.

I put it in low gear and grunted no movement.... I put it in high gear and grunted. Still no movement.  I have the plugs out and have sprayed croil oil in the holes.  I think next is MMO.  And I need a bigger grunt than me.

More to follow.
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"

Brian Moffet

pull the left plate off so you can get to the large nut, that is the one that you use to turn so you can check valve clearances.  Pull eth spark plugs, and then use a large 6 point socket on that nut.  That will be a whole lot easier than trying to get through a lot of gearing to turn the engine over.

Brian (typing this from memory, so please check the manual.)