Previous topic - Next topic

akvision

1960 BMW R-50 "Hanz" reborn April 24, 2009 , Ketchikan
1982 "V" AKBluv, Denver, traded for BMW R1100S
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"
1977 BMW R75/7, Green Lantern Cafe Project
Deep In the INSIDE PASSAGE, Alaska

akvision

Well, I took off the little side cover on the left and turned the 14mm bolt clockwise.  I set the torque wrench to 80# and the pistons did not move.  I don't think the bolt will handle much more.  I have the plugs out and have sprayed light penetrating oil...

More I guess and hope that after turkey day.. it will loosen up.

It will soak and I will try Dec 3.

more to follow. :-\
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"

Tiger

Quote from: akvision on November 25, 2009, 04:38:09 PM
I don't think the bolt will handle much more. 

:) It won't my friend.

I would suggest that you drop the oil...(see what may be lurking in it :o)...and remove the left side cover completely. That way you have a better view of anything that may be out of wack/jammed, etc on that side of the motor...best of luck.

8)........TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Lucky

Try rocking the bike fore & aft.  it's not at all unusual for the tranny & clutch plates to freeze up. Both my bikes were this way when i got them, Cafe took 40 min of VIOLENT rocking to free up, & now she's the fastest Vision out there!  ;) ;) ;)
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

QBS

Lucky, the problem is that apparently akvision can't rotate the crankshaft even when appling force directly to its' end.  That's not good.  A glued up clutch would not stop crankshaft rotation, with the bike in gear on center stand.

Lucky

yeah, but i'm thinking he may be able to rock the cylinders loose by having the clutch out & using the transmisition, drive train.  i do the same thing but on a smaller scale with seized up 2 strokes...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Night Vision

spray liberal amounts of starting fluid into plug holes..... wait... ok, now some more..... quick!! plugs back in, caps back on.., turn your back... hit the key....

and wait two seconds.... maybe you'll wake her up   :o

I've got more suggestions if that doesn't work   ;)

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

QBS

NV, very interesting concept.  Extra points for creativity.

akvision

Thanks for the comments guys.  I will try the rocking thing and may be if it soaks for a while it will break loose.
(I have internet at the snowy cabin in Canada... thank God for G3 technology.)    Now I can move to Canada in the winter an work from there.
I will have to wait till I get back to Ketchikan.   
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"

inanecathode

You're going to have to rock the SHIT out of it if its anything like my first vision. From 10mph in fifth gear it would lock up the rear tire. It took a couple tries (and alot of calories pushing it back up the driveway) and jumping all my weight on the seat to get it to break free. When it did it was with an audible snap. The clutch was fine, it worked how it should, pull it in it releases let it go it grabs, it was something inside the motor that was actually locked up.

You have to think theres alot of stuff with very close tolerances inside the case, there could be any number of things that arent permanently damaged, but still stuck together. A torque wrench on the end of the crank might not turn, but think if theres something in there that has a mechanical advantage over the crank, it doesnt have to be very 'sticky' for the crank to not want to turn at all. Kinda like trying to turn the rear wheel of a bike with a wrench on the pedals if you're in high gear.

You can drop the oil (and should/will have to anyway) but a good indicator of whats going on is also the oil filter. I've seen an oil filter that had injested some kind of cleaner or water that turned the filter opaque to oil and crushed it like a pop can (and seized the engine in the process).

BTW akvision, when are you coming down for a ride this spring, eh?
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

akvision

Yeah, in May.

Rhpaw and I are headed to MO, then LA, AL, FL then back to TX and home to CO.

The engine was turning with the starter in the summer, my nephew dumped a bunch of gas in the cyl and tried to get it to bark.  He said it had compression... then he just left it alone... now stuck I think the rings siezed with no lub and just gas in a high humidity climate.

The perfect recipe when you think about it...
We all just did not think about it.   So, we got what we got.

Oh well, if it is beyond it's self.  I will end up with lots of good parts, great fairing and a new tank, both with great paint.  AKVision will turn Blu. 8)
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"

Re-Vision

Have you determined if your engine is worth repairing yet?  Reason I ask is that I have several that you might be interested in when you come through Texas.  BDC

akvision

Still stuck, and the clutch is stuck too.
We will work on it tonight and maybe a final decision will be announced.  Clock says 38K miles and pretty mungy.  I don't have much in it.
The transport cost was added to a trip already planned.  So getting it here it Alaska was a freebe.   It could be the parts are more than the sum to AKVISION. 
Like the nearly new Blue tank and Fairing and trim.   If it looks like a looser, the AKVISION will get a new cloak.  And a new name.
"BluAkV"

1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"

akvision

BDC,
Thanks for the offer.  The whole unit may be too far gone.  Will know soon.
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"

akvision

I AM SORRY TO REPORT:   I have come to the conclusion that the BluV is best off as a parts bike.

The Bad
1. bad corrosion everywhere, and I mean only the plastic is not corroded.  The elements have taken a toll.
2. seized engine, disk brakes non functional, stuck, carbs stuck & corroded, control cables stuck,wiring frayed
3. high miles, cracked tires, rear brakes worn out, seat ripped, forks leaking, fork sliders rusted
4. economics are not reasonable.  ( I would save it, if it was worth it, but based on typical market value, the amounts required to make this machine roadable is just not good economics)

The Good, "It's a Vision." 

http://picasaweb.google.com/usa584/BluVInKetchikan?authkey=Gv1sRgCJKq8PyAuc_gvAE#5412591350264971090

1. good tank and fairing system
2. fair exhaust system
3 maybe some good parts
4 The "Kid Jedi" wants the engine.

It is salvage time.   AKVision will be Blu :-\
So, the thread is ended.  Thanks for your interest.
Check my thread, "Free Vision Parts"
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"

Re-Vision

I have interest in the front fork brace if you want to let it go,also tank and plastics.  BDC

sunburnedaz

1982 Yamaha XZ550 - Almost bone stock
2005 Honda F4i - Nothing stock
98 ZX-6R Track Bike
1998 Chevy truck - AKA recovery truck

akvision

BDC,
The fork brace is going on the Beemer.  The blue Tank is going to Denver and the spare tank will be available, but most likely not till spring.  The fairing and lowers will also go to Denver... there will be spare plastics available, again in the spring.  I will let you know when they are available.
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"

akvision

Maybe on the mirrors.  I have a set that  were removed... they were a bit rough.   The rubber was bum but still in place.  I was going to put them on the AKVISION  but we left before I had a real chance to evaluate....... will let you know.
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"

Re-Vision

What color and condition is the spare tank? I have plenty of plastics and four dented tanks.  BDC