News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

gone for a bit

Started by kiawrench, October 22, 2009, 07:48:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kiawrench

after a crappy year , have decided to shut shop down and join in on a local club's road trip. final destination, Seattle Washington, by way of any road that leads that way.

i cant get doctor approval to make the ride on a bike , but am going as support driver, schlepping along with the truck and spare parts.will drop in as extra rider anytime one is needed- few older riders on the trip, so i know will get saddle time .
There is no cause for the ride, just a bunch of folks going on a geezer glide fantasy trip .
will check in now and then, but for most part, out of the loop . anyone trying to contact me, hang in there, will try to return calls and letters when i can .
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

Tiger

8) Good for you buddy...ENJOY 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

don_vanecek

That sure sounds neat but isn't it getting alittle late in the season for this? Although I suppose going accross most of the southern US will not be a problem at this time.

Now that would be fun if you get a chance to try a couple of different bikes!

kev10104

kiawrench

far as i know, this group is not actually going entire route- they are "handing off the ride" to second group in tulsa oklahoma .  then these riders will return to start point , drink a lot of beer and talk about next ride . is good by me, i just wanted away for a bit .

don emory, ride organiser ,says this ride happens every year, but due to advancing ages of all the riders, it is no longer a true iron butt style coast to coast run like in years before . we made 100 mile blocks today, but they are saying that memphis to tulsa will be single run, no matter the weather , and tulsa will be three days of rest ,all in camping gear ,on farm of one of the riders family .
those that want to continue on, will join the next run, and continue south and west ,to avoid colder riding periods we expect in northern part of country. - i will be on return run with those that prefer to ride back to start. safety first . second truck will continue west with  Emory and his brother on second part of run . i  have big trailer, so i can handle the break down bikes and keep my end of the bargain .
next year, am going to own my own geezer glide- am looking at a trike - just to make runs like this with .
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

YellowJacket!

Heading west on I-40?  I'm just a couple miles off I-40 in Knoxville (Campbell Station ext 383).

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

kiawrench

hello again, from wonderfull downtown Russelville Arknsas!. well, it really looked good in rear view mirror!

first things first-- never,ever work on a motorcycle along interstate 40, no matter what. especialy after dark in Arkansas- it may take a few days to prove that you weren't stripping the bike ,or stealing it. truck one crew was arrested and held until we could prove the bike was part of our ride, as well as here with permission-(owner loaned bike to rider on the run,but no "papers to prove that" while he went fishing.  Glad it wasn't me, but it did hold entire trip up (return trip)

the bike that has impressed me the most is an Indian copy kawasaki, not even a burble from this thing--looks just like vintage bike, rider wearing the brownish leathers too, real "old school look " bike that i know not to buy-ever, is a r-6 that came along- rider is in so much pain from riding position,we may have to fly her back and trailer her bike.  sad to see that too- her first really big ride,and now hates her bike.

We will hit road in morning, going to reset rider sequence, maybe find willing rider to swap out with her - i offered but bike is just a killer to ride ,proof those things were only meant for young riders- i'll stay with the big truck - i know i can walk and think after 500 miles in that.

kiawrench

ok, all the fun has left this bike run. and am not sure ,but am thinking it will be my very last large bike count run. 
  way too many things have just gotten out of hand to begin to explain it all, but no bike run can work if half the riders think they are the leader.

i will try to join in any Vision runs ,but stuff like this just isnt fun for anyone.
oh,, the lady with the r-6 is selling her ride, looking for 3500.00 or a decent used miata - she has blisters across her bottom, and down both legs to the knees - mostly from trying to ride too far on an unfamilar bike , but she chose to wear new leathers too, and i am thinking she didnt know that liners are there for a reason.

don_vanecek

Everything is bit of a compromise isn't it? I was kind of surprised (I have never ridden a crotch rocket so I can't talk from personal experience) when I took my rider safety course this summer at how awkward the maneuvers (in a parking lot at slow speeds) were for the two guys on sport bikes, the big old Harley's had less trouble. On the other side some would say crotch rockets have the most advanced engines, suspensions, tires, brakes, and would be the best bikes to buy.

This sort of brings up a recommendation- I would sure encourage anyone on a Vision to be sure to take say a 150-200 mile test ride and see what the Vision's riding position does to your body before you attempt an all day ride. As nice a sport tourer as it is you maynot find that you would want to put a 500 mile one day ride on it-and 500 back the next day. You have to take a test ride about that long before you will find out how your body will react (neck pains, back pain, num butt, etc)that's perhaps three or so hours riding time. A ride shorter then that won't stress your body enough for you to really know what will happen to you on an 8-10 hour ride. Don't forget that if you are going to put a bag behind you or use a tank bag that will also change the dynamics a bit (perhaps your seating position). Sounds like the lady on the R6 didn't do this (my guess anyway).

Will hopefully Kia, we will have a Vision get together in TN in 2012 for you to ride at! As for myself, I will probably look at bringing my V is the back of my little white Ranger (thank you taxpayers and Obama for helping me purchase this). I learned going to Colorado back in 2007 that my body is not up for a 500 mile ride in the saddle (and even worse, the 500 miles back!)-even though the Vision itself had no complaints, it loved being out on the open road!

Rick G

I think the industry has gone nuts ! There selling sport bikes with no re guard to to the usefullness of the machine There great for a Sunday track day, but not much else. my friend Sean , rode his cbr100rr from MN to AZ  via Colorado, in '05  but he tried a similar long ride in '09 and decided that maybe a more touring bike is in order
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike