News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Great News!! Read my post on the 3rd Page

Started by YellowJacket!, November 04, 2009, 12:01:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowJacket!

had another good thing happen today and of course, another setback.  Good news is that i will PROBABLY get into the school here in TN.  Got a phone call from the program director today and had a very positive conversation with him.
My problem from last year came back to haunt me.  In a moment of weakness, I was blindsided...but stopped before even getting out of the dugout.  Was totally caught off guard and it took an emotional toll on me in a big way.  I thought I was over it but my Blood pressure has been hoovering around 200 yesterday and today as a result.  Going to the doctor tomorrow to get back on BP meds.

I think it is more than obvious to me that every time God opens a door for me, Satan is right there waiting to kick it shut in my face.  I know I'll win the war but its the constant battles that are chipping away at me.

I have the GRE coming up in 2 weeks and so far the practice tests have told me that I'm close to my goal but I still have some work to do.  I have put O-chem on the back burner...which apparently you forget how much you've learned in such a short time if you don't use it!

I hate spilling my guts here, but its pretty much the only place I can do it and not get burned.

I sure could use some prayers....again.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

akvision

Dave,

Just keep your focus, and keep positive and if it is meant to be, it will happen, fate will prevail, and if it doesn't the message will be clear.   

The vision will be clear and you will know your direction.

If this is, what you truely want, you will continue to follow your passion. 

If it is truly your passion.

You will succeed! 

Think about it.   

and, "Chill out"  it is just life.

1960 BMW R-50 "Hanz" reborn April 24, 2009 , Ketchikan
1982 "V" AKBluv, Denver, traded for BMW R1100S
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"
1977 BMW R75/7, Green Lantern Cafe Project
Deep In the INSIDE PASSAGE, Alaska

YellowJacket!

WOW!

God works in some pretty miraculous ways.  I had a pretty bad last couple days and my blood pressure was out the roof...close to 200/100.  I went to the doctor and my BP med was changed.

The irony is that I have been feeling like every time a door has been opened for me, another closes.  I sat down yesterday and said a prayer for guidance and strength to help me resist the doors being closed on me and I thought, hmmm, I haven't read my daily Bible verse.  I use a "pocket Bible" on my smartphone that gives me a random Bible verse every day and a sort of synopsis of what the verse is about.  This is what I got yesterday:

I trust in you, O Lord; I say, "You are my God. My times are in your hands."

(Ps 31:14-15)

In Word David was stressed. Enemies hounded him. People lied about him. Onlookers looked on with contempt. When everything seemed bleak, when he felt ashamed and beaten down, David was able to turn to God. Somewhere between the despair of this psalm's opening verses and the strength of its closing lines, David took heart in the nature of God. Desperate prayer turned to confident worship. He realized that the refuge he sought was a thoroughly reliable refuge. It sank into the depths of his being: God is good.
We can relate. We get stressed. We feel as if we live in a besieged city (v. 21)—physically, spiritually, financially, socially, mentally. We may go through illness, anger, poverty, or any other evidence of our fallen world, and we begin to feel it will never end. The psychology of being "under siege" begins to affect every area of our lives. We seek God as our refuge, but it is a weak faith at first. We must be reminded constantly of who He is. We must read psalms like this one and hear the witness of others who have been through similar circumstances and have seen His faithfulness. Somewhere in the process—usually when we have no choice but to just give up—God's power and faithfulness become real. We get a glimpse of who He is. Trust turns our despair into worship.

In Deed Sooner or later, circumstances will overwhelm you. God will let it happen—even ordain it—to force you into a necessary choice. Will you trust Him or not? There is no way to mature as a disciple without having to make that self-surrendering choice in the fires of trial; having once declared your trust is not enough. God will let it be tested, and the only way some of us are able to come to that place of rest in God is first to be absolutely overwhelmed.
Our helplessness will intensify until we realize: We can trust Him, and we must. We have no other reasonable option. We can let go and believe that all of our circumstances are His. We can relax, take a deep breath, and let it sink in that God is utterly trustworthy.

"He rides at ease whom the grace of God carries."
—Thomas à Kempis
----------

NOW, I know that everything is going to be alright.  Thank you for all your thoughts, kind words and prayers.  God just hit me upside the head and said "Are you listening?"....I am.

David

akvision

You are on the right track, Mr. Visionary. :)
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"

YellowJacket!

OK.... a REALLY REALLY BIG door has just opened and I'm asking for some prayers for this one.  I have been called for an interview for this coming MOnday for the local PA school right here in Knoxville.  A doctor I used to work with is the medical director and it really pulling for me to get in.  I have the interview and I have to prove to them that I am capable of what they want.  I know I can do it...I just have to convince a bunch of edumucated people that I can.

So, Monday at 2:00 is the big day for me!

David

akvision

Dave.....this is it!
You will do it.  Relax and be who you are.
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"

YellowJacket!

Quote from: akvision on December 12, 2009, 12:20:02 AM
Dave.....this is it!
You will do it.  Relax and be who you are.

Thanks!  I will do my very best.

On a side note, the last time I wore a business suit was over 15 years ago for my 10th HS reunion.  So, needless to say,  I was out looking for suits the other day....that fit.  I joked with the salesman after I paid, to have the tailor leave off one arm and one leg since I just gave them away for my new suit. Only one clothier was able to guarantee that I would be able to pick it up today so I had to pay dearly for it. Looks good though.  Black suit, white shirt, burgundy tie.

David

David

Re-Vision

Should be a breeze, I'm sure several of us put in a word for you and you'll do fine.  BDC

vadasz1

And if we have to we can come down in our leathers to be EVEN MORE persuasive.
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

YellowJacket!

Quote from: vadasz1 on December 14, 2009, 09:08:05 AM
And if we have to we can come down in our leathers to be EVEN MORE persuasive.

LOL....  C'mon down.  I have a spare room or two.

The interview was rescheduled for Wed because one of the directors was stuck out of town and not going to arrive back in Knoxville until later today.  So, I have a couple more days to prepare.  However, one of the doctors I know talked to the medical director about something else but, since he knows me, was questioned a bit about my experience and how he thinks I will do as a PA.  He apparently gave some very favorable remarks and a comment was made to him that I shouldn't have any problems getting into the program.  THATS some good news!

Now all I have to do is score well on the GRE this thurs.  I have been doing back to back practice tests today and my score is hoovering around 1000.  Not the greatest but enough to make a difference.

David

YellowJacket!

Well, I got chopped down a couple notches today.  Someone told me recently that a grad school interview would be the toughest of your life.  He was right.  I went in all confident and thinking that I was a "shoe in".  I couldn't have been more wrong.  I was picked apart like a bananna nut muffin at a Sunday brunch.
I have a wide and varied academic career.  The problem is the "wide part".  One of the requirements is that all my core sciences be withon the last 10 years.  Well, thats ok for A+P, Micro and O-Chem but my chem and biology (two semesters of each) was taken between 1984 and 1986.  I have to repeat them!  On top of that, they recommended that I take a second semester of organich chem even though its not required - just to make me a stronger candidate.
After all was said and done...and I felt about 2"tall, one of the doctors asked me how I feel and I told him the truth; I didn't think it went well.  He told me not to worry and if I was able to take the classes, I have a good chance of getting in.  To quote him:  "If I was a betting man, I'd say you have much better than a 50:50 chance of getting in".  So, to go to this school I have to figure out a way to fit at the very least another semester of organic, two chemistries and two bio classes.
I take the GRE tomorrow and hope to do well on it.  If I do then I'll have a pretty good chance of getting into school in South Carolina which accepted my sciences even though they were older than 20 years.

David

The Prophet of Doom

I sat a few practice GREs.  It seems like evey question is a trick question.  I doubt I would have got into grad school if they were used here.
Best wishes

YellowJacket!

Quote from: roro on December 17, 2009, 01:45:30 AM
I sat a few practice GREs.  It seems like evey question is a trick question.  I doubt I would have got into grad school if they were used here.
Best wishes

Yep, thats exactly how it is and I spent a bunch of money on the books to teach me how to crack those tricks.  Funny thing is, if I had known a lot of those tricks when I was in high school, I would have probably done quite well in math.

David

inanecathode

Yeah, you're hosed when you're finally done with school. Nothing to study for :P

My brother actually had something interesting to say the other day, he said sometimes higher education is great because completing assignments, being brilliant etc gets recognized and you get rewarded for it. In the 'real world' you dont really get recognized or rewarded for working any harder than you're 'supposed' to. Sure you're supposed to be, but it takes so much more work to ge the same amount of recognition.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

YellowJacket!

OMG!!! I just finished the GRE with a score of 1200!!!!!  My Quant comp was unreal at 710!  I'm so freakin stoked my head is still spinning.

David

Brian Moffet

Quote from: YellowJacket! on December 17, 2009, 03:42:27 PM
OMG!!! I just finished the GRE with a score of 1200!!!!! 

Congratulations, David, that's really great!

akvision

Education is the door opener.  You get the basics and you pass and you get a paper that says you passed.
Now it is what you do with the opportunity when the door opens... and this is mostly about solutions and attitude.

For me being self-employed was the best answer.  I try to stay away from "Toxic Personalities".  I always try to give everyone a good chance to know me.. however "some" think I'm a light weight or don't give a F___c!

Dave, just keep at it and your find the right path.  Your honesty and attitude is primo and will go along way.
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"

YellowJacket!

GREAT NEWS today!!!  I have a final interview at one of the schools I applied to.  Over 1500 applicants and now its cut down to 100 of which 60 to 65 of us will be accepted.

If I make it in....which I really hope I do, I'll be starting Oct 15.  :-)

I should also find out this month if I have an interview with MUSC in Charleston SC.

David

funkamongus

Hey !!! I just got caught up... Youve been looked after as youve suspected.. its all about to change for you,, you want ti to be the right change,, let him handle it, he will, and you'll be chomping on the bit when he does. 
I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

h2olawyer

Thanks for bumping this up, Funk!

Wow, David - it sure has been a wild time for you.  Sounds like things are turning around.  Other than the BP, it sounds like you are handling things well.  Just remember to never get too high (at least for too long) or too low - things are never as extreme either direction as they may seem.

Great job on the GRE!!!  Like most post graduate exams, they are an exercise in your ability to take tests.  They really sre terrible at demonstrating any particular expertise in any subject.  A wise professor told me in my first year of college (way back in the late '70s) that tests are not designed to show what you know, rather they illustrate more of what you don't know.

As for the interview - I've found I can never predict how well or poorly I've done in an interview.  The ones I thought I knocked out of the park, I got a polite 'thanks but no thanks' reply.  The ones I think I might as well have thrown up on the interviewers are the ones I've been asked back for further talks.  You just never know.  For professional education - medicine & law in particular, the people doing the interviews know exactly where to needle you and expose your weaknesses.  They look more at how you handle the situation and also for your honest responses.

Great, more school for you before you can start your real learnin'!  If I could figure out how to make a living at it, I would be a professional student - I always enjoy learning more about nearly anything.  Can't let the mind atrophy.   ;D

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.