News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Great News!! Read my post on the 3rd Page

Started by YellowJacket!, November 04, 2009, 12:01:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Moffet

Quote from: h2olawyer on January 08, 2010, 12:57:24 AM
I always enjoy learning more about nearly anything.  Can't let the mind atrophy.   ;D

One way I did that is by working with people who are really smart and inquisitive...  Sometimes there was a delay in getting to the position, but in the end you don't want to be the best one around.  It's not good for learning.  

Oh yes, David, best of luck.  Take the advice given, be honest.

Brian

funkamongus

I learn as many as 100 songs in about 2 weeks. And I mean learn them, nearly, note for note. As a bass player you have to know where things are going before they go there (long story, but true). I hope this keeps my brain from turning into a raisin.. we'll see. From what I can tell, neither of you should have to worry about atrophy anytime soon.
I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

YellowJacket!

OK guys and gals, all my hard work may have paid off for now at least since I may be taking my next big step in my education quest.

I have my final grad school interview this friday.  I have a good feeling about it but could use some "thoughts and prayers" as usual.  Its been a long three years and I hope to get some good news this time.

If all goes as expected, my house will go on the market by the end of this month and we will start to look for something much smaller and more affordable - on one income.  YJ stays, of course.  :-)  If I get in, I'll be starting classes this October and have 15 solid months of medical education followed by 12 months of clinical rotations.

Thanks for all of your support, kind words, and encouragement. I'll post something here on Friday.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

funkamongus

I own:

YellowJacket!

I went for my final interview today for Physician Assistant school and after a very greuling 6 hours of intense questioning, I was told.....

That I will be starting classes this fall!!!!!

It has been a long and difficult journey over the last 10 years, especially the last two, and the next three will be even more stressful and difficult, but I have made it this far and know that I can complete the journey.

A lot is going to happen in the coming months, first of which is to get my house on the market and sold since we will be living off only one income.  YJ isn't going anywhere and will more than likely be used much more now than in the past.

Thanks everyone for all your support and kind words, I can't express enough the appreciation I have for you as my friends.

David

funkamongus

I own:

funkamongus

I knew you would get it going!! Youve devoted your life to it for the last years and you made it happen. Congratulations on acceptance and best wishes for your next couple of years to go by easy and fast!!!
I own:

don_vanecek

All right!!!!  Although I think you posted it before where is this school?

YellowJacket!

Thanks Scott and Don

I applied to MUSC in Charleston SC and UAB in Birmingham Alabama and have yet to hear from them.  Lincoln Memorial University in North East TN turned me down and I was accepted today to the program at South College here in Knoxville.  Althoug the school is here in town, I still have to sell my house and move because they don't allow you to work during PA school and between the house payment and the cost of insurance at my wifes job - a necessity (insurance through the hospital I currently work at is 1/4 of what it costs where my wife works)  we just can't afford the payment we have now.  Plus, the equity we have will serve as a decent form of supplemental income while I'm in school.

David

Re-Vision

As the Aussies say, good onyer mate.  Better take good care of that pretty lady who's supporting you and watch out with your health.  All work and no play can keep that blood pressure high.  No use learning something if you don't apply it to yourself.  (No charge for this free medical advice) Also hope you don't get so busy you can't post.  Best wishes and prayers for you David.   BDC

YellowJacket!

Thanks Bobby,  I'll take that advice to heart.  I've learned a lot along the way and friends and family are very important.  I probably won't be able to post as much, but this oldtimer isn't gonna fade away....

:-)

David

akvision

Congrats....
I never had any doubt... anyone as dedicated as you are will make it happen... and you did.. you just wear your heart on your sleeve.

This is a good thing!  There will be a journey ahead, just keep your eye on the ball.

Twenty eight years ago, I decide to be a Financial Advisor... knew numbers, but didn't know much about the planning process.  It has been a rewarding learn all along the way.  I will never regret my quest.  I love the rewards, but in truth, if I had known how tough is could get between then and now.. it would have scared me and I would not have risked it.
The success personally and on a family basis had a high price.   I can say that in the end it has all been worth it.  I now have great relationships and have resolve all issues.  And now am semi-retired.    I am a happy camper!

Get on with it!
1960 BMW R-50 "Hanz" reborn April 24, 2009 , Ketchikan
1982 "V" AKBluv, Denver, traded for BMW R1100S
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"
1977 BMW R75/7, Green Lantern Cafe Project
Deep In the INSIDE PASSAGE, Alaska

h2olawyer

AWESOME!  Congratulations, David.   8)  I'm amazed they had a 6 hour interview.  That sounds brutal.  Take frequent Vision Therapy breaks over the next three years -- just not too many of them!   ;D

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Tiger

:) SUUUUUUPERB NEWS BUDDY... 8) Time to sit back and take it all in...with a good single malt Scotch in one hand and a sweet Cuban in the other 8) (cigar David, cigar!!!) LOL...

8).......TIGER....... 8)
We reap that which we sow... ;)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Coil Coyle

YellowJacket!

Quote from: h2olawyer on January 23, 2010, 03:57:37 AM
AWESOME!  Congratulations, David.   8)  I'm amazed they had a 6 hour interview.  That sounds brutal.  Take frequent Vision Therapy breaks over the next three years -- just not too many of them!   ;D

H2O

I used my Vision in a couple of my answers about "Stress".

The interview was broken down into the Group interview - 5 of us at a time with "shotgun" questions coming at us more like a machine gun - to test our stress; Peer interviews where we were questioned individually by PA students and practicing PA's, and the dreaded one-on-one interview where I sat for two solid minutes before anyone else said anything.
The rest of the day was an overview of the program, financial aid, Q+A and hobknobbing.

The fun part was one of the "shotgun" questions in the group interview.  I was the firs to be asked how I cope with stress. My answer was "I ride my motorcycle".  I was asked to elaborate a bit more so I told them that after a stressful day, I will ride my Vision to help clear my head.  I told them the riding my MC makes me focus on the task at hand and think and anticipate what will happen next.  For instance, "is that car going to turn left in front of me?"  "If it does, what will I do to avoid it?"  So, in essence riding clears my mind.  I told them after that, I'll go sit down and think out the day and what caused my stress, how to avoid it the next time and how to respond better to a stressful situation.  I was told "Very good answer".  The other four said things like working out or going for walks...
They also asked me about my bike when I told them I use it as "therapy" so I explained that I bought it for $1.00 and have been restoring it over the last 5 years as a form of relaxation and a way of clearing my mind and releiving stress.  I ended up giving a pretty comprehensive description about my bike.  :-)

Thanks to all of you!  :-)

David

don_vanecek

too bad on having to sale the house but I would think that's a plus that you will still be in an area that you know-won't have to relearn streets, shopping places, etc.

Raj1988

1200 on the GRE is no mean feat.. bloody brilliant job. I'm gonna hafto take that in a Year or so...
Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Raj1988 on January 27, 2010, 11:36:49 AM
1200 on the GRE is no mean feat.. bloody brilliant job. I'm gonna have to take that in a Year or so...

LOL...I still didn't believe it until I actually saw my score on paper.  The funny thing was that on all the practice tests, I scored much higher on the verbal than I did on the quantitative.  The actual test was the exact opposite.  I scored almost twice on the quantitative then what I did on the verbal.  Go figure.  The only thing I can think of was that I blew the first 5 questions.  I had an exceptionally long and absolutely  boring reading passage question that all I can remember was "bla bla bla bla".  I raced through it in order not to waste time and forgot the cardinal rule for the GRE; "Don't screw up your first 5 questions".  My guess is that had I done well on that first series of questions, I'd be closer to 1400.  I'll take what I got.  It served its purpose and that's what counts in the end.
My advice on the GRE is practice, practice, practice..and practice some more.  Don't rely on just one book/guide either.  I used Kaplans, Barrons and Princeton.  Each does a good job of giving you their own version of how to approach the questions.
Now if only there was a guide as easy for making it through Organic chem.
Got the official "you are accepted" letter today which really put things into perspective.

David

vadasz1

Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.