Great News!! Read my post on the 3rd Page

Started by YellowJacket!, November 04, 2009, 12:01:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seabee

Quote from: funkamongus on January 09, 2010, 01:58:52 PM
I learn as many as 100 songs in about 2 weeks. And I mean learn them, nearly, note for note. As a bass player you have to know where things are going before they go there (long story, but true). I hope this keeps my brain from turning into a raisin.. we'll see. From what I can tell, neither of you should have to worry about atrophy anytime soon.

Wow, I was a co-producer in Nashville for two years and have NEVER heard of such a thing! I have been a production manager since and have still NEVER have heard of such a thing! Amazing...please explain! Are you the next "Rain Man?!" -Thanks
***1982 Yamaha XZ 550 Vision***

funkamongus

Ive played for nearly 30 years.. I learn entire songlists, nearly note for note, absolutely feel for feel,  in about 2 weeks.. the 100 tunes on 2 weeks was a ball buster.. it was one band that did 3 tributes.. 30 Brian Adams tunes, 30 The cars tunes,, and 40 Tom Petty tunes. Im, on one hand, surprised youve never heard of such a thing, but then the studio people are not required to do such things.. thats on us lowly "bar band" musicians. .. The triple scale guys you had are great,, but only on what they do, to do other peoples stuff, all variety of stuff, with the same conviction , is what I got paid for.  I have no other job, I sit here and listen all day, I play with the tunes at night and there you have it. You can believe it or not, but Ive lived it, and more than once, so its not a fluke. Granted it wasnt Steely Dan tunes, it was "juvenile" or at best "sophomoric" tunes, as you can see.
Mike Furlong (Tom Petty, The Cars, Brian Adams)  mfproductions@mac.com (100 tunes, gig in two weeks, I did better than the rest of the band, who was supposed to have known the tunes)
Terry Jayo (Bob Seger Tribute)  terry_jayo@yahoo.com

2 people and two times Ive done that very thing, I have more.. Ask them. and when you hear them say yes. dont get your feelings hurt that the studio cats arent all you thought.
I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

funkamongus

I also have a land lord who watches me do this.. I can bring him into this too if youd like to call me a liar again, because YOUVE never seen it...
I own:

Raj1988

Hangin out at studios since i was 12, ppl often asked what i play, i say "the fool", and smile a the confused looks i get.
i have seen bands barely learn a song a day.....
For what its worth, You got MY respect brother
Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

funkamongus

Ive seen that too,, its a lack of direction. Happens a lot. It also didnt hurt that the tunes I was learning were popular and on every radio every day for decades, not new and un-heard...
I own:

seabee

You cover songs, you play someone elses established music...got it.
***1982 Yamaha XZ 550 Vision***

YellowJacket!

Well, I'm wrapping up the 2nd semester of organic chemistry and will be going into my final with a 95% - which sounds great but my final exam is a whopping 65% of my total grade.  Hopefully I'll do well.  I'm taking the exam in two weeks so I have a bit of time to prepare for it.
Once thats done, I'll have a bit of time left to enjoy life before PA school starts.  I will be quitting my job on Aug 30 and PA school starts Oct 4th.  Things are moving fast now and I'm afraid that once school starts, my life will revolve around it 100% so I probably won't be posting much here after that.  :-(

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

h2olawyer

Good luck on that exam!

Enjoy your month off, get well acquainted with the family, then be ready to dig in for a while.  Professional school can be a bit daunting at first.  I'm sure you will figure out how to manage your limited time and still be able to have some life away from school.

H2O

If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Night Vision

Quote from: YellowJacket! on July 18, 2010, 04:07:54 PM

Things are moving fast now and I'm afraid that once school starts, my life will revolve around it 100% so I probably won't be posting much here after that.  :-(

that's what you said last time  :D :D 

good luck on the test
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Night Vision on July 18, 2010, 09:22:08 PM
Quote from: YellowJacket! on July 18, 2010, 04:07:54 PM

Things are moving fast now and I'm afraid that once school starts, my life will revolve around it 100% so I probably won't be posting much here after that.  :-(

that's what you said last time  :D :D 

good luck on the test

Yeah, I know but I missed you guys so much I had to take frequent study breaks and come back here and chat.  8)

David

Agonoize

inanecathode

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

YellowJacket!

Well, I finished my Organic Chem final exam today so two semesters of OChem and the end of my Undergrad come to a close.  I should find my grade out in a couple days and hopefully it will be good.  The exam was greuling.  I thought my regular test questions were difficult but my professor ramped things up a bit to increase the pucker factor somewhat.  I survived and hopefully I passed.
I now have two months of freedom before grad school starts.  At that point, you probably won't see much of me around here anymore.  :-(

David

Walt_M.

Whale oil beef hooked!

Re-Vision

I think we'll still hear from you because you're addicted to ROV.     BDC

YellowJacket!

WOOOOOOHOOOOOOO!!!  Got an 82 on the final which gives me a combined B+ for the combined ochem I and II!

I am DONE with undergrad!

8)  8)  8)

David

PS, yes Bobby, you are right.  I just won't be here as much.  ;-)

David

h2olawyer

WOW - that was a quick couple of days . does time pass faster in Tennessee than the rest of the country?   ;D ;)

Seriously, great job.

In the time you have before grad school, try to get out with your family & do something memorable.  It's always nice to have a great moment to reflect on when you are knee deep in books, tests, labs & papers.  I spent a week @ Lake Powell the summer before I started law school & those memories were helpful when I was feeling down or lost during that first year.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

YellowJacket!

Thanks Rob,

We're going to try to go to Charleston SC mid September.  It all depends on when my employer reimburses me for the class.  Just found out today that my final grade was 89.2.  An "A" was a 90.  Bugger.  Just 8/10'ths of a point.  Oh well, all I had to do was pass it anyway.  :-)

David

YellowJacket!

and so the journey begins...

Well, its been an extremely long road but the door is finally open and I will be starting class tomorrow.  I begin orientation tomorrow morning but will have the following week off and "oficially" start the core classes on the 4th.

I took a big leap of faith last week when I "retired" my Respiratory Therapy license - almost 20 years to the day.  Seemed like a crazy idea but I would have had to keep up with other "clinical education" and fees to maintain my license while I'm in school.  However, in doing so, I have effectively eliminated "plan B".  I think its more of a mental thing for me as I have not given myself and opportunity to fall back on being an RT.  It'll just make me work harder.

The only real frustrating thing now is I thought the process of getting a personal insurance policy would be relatively easy.  I started applying in August and as of Sept 15, my employers insurance ran out.  dealing with insurance companies is not fun and they relly enjoy making the process miserable.  So, at the moment with no insurance, I have decided to park YJ until I get that sorted out.

David

Brian Moffet

Quote from: YellowJacket! on September 19, 2010, 10:16:19 AM
The only real frustrating thing now is I thought the process of getting a personal insurance policy would be relatively easy.  I started applying in August and as of Sept 15, my employers insurance ran out.  dealing with insurance companies is not fun and they relly enjoy making the process miserable.  So, at the moment with no insurance, I have decided to park YJ until I get that sorted out.

You have my sympathies with that one.  And best of luck,
Brian