News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Great News!! Read my post on the 3rd Page

Started by YellowJacket!, November 04, 2009, 12:01:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowJacket!

Wooooaaahhh.

Nobody ever told me that Organic Chemistry would be such a challenge! Part of the problem is that I took chem I and II in the 80's and I have given up a few brain cells to margaritas since then. Add to that my feverish studying for the GRE and you have a recipie for one heck of a headache and loss of personal life.

So, once again, my life is on hold as I spend most of my waking hours neglecting the rest of my life in persuit of making a decent grade in organic and gettting at least an 1100 on the GRE.  To add insult to injury, I got my first (semi) acceptance letter from one of the 4 PA schools I applied to.  I was picked as a "first alternate" for MUSC in Charleston, SC!! According to the letter, "at least 50% of the alternates are accepted intot he program.  Thats good news, except it is contingent on a good grade in OC and a competetive score on the GRE.

I also know that I will have an interview at one of the local schools and that I have a very good chance of getting into that school, so that is good too.  However, since I will not be able to work for the next 2 1/2 years, in state vs out of state really doesn't make a difference.  I'll go to school wherever I get in.

So, YJ is all tucked in for the winter (except for a seat project I have been planning on having a local guy do for me) and I'm glued to my desk with my O'Chem books firmly planted in front of me and will have to make a concerted effort to keep myself glued to them and not surfing while I should be memorizing.

Wish me luck....the light at the end of the tunnel is flickering at the moment but not out....

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Tiffanator

GOOD LUCK DAVID! Just remember... the more you bust your butt in school... the more proud you will be of yourself when you get out and the more moolah you will make.  ;D  I wish I had the drive for success and continued education that you have. But... I don't like what I do and have no desire to learn more about it. hehe.  ;) I just wanna build bikes.
Tiffanator
First time restorer

inanecathode

What are you going to do when you have nothing to study for?
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

funkamongus

I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

YellowJacket!

Quote from: inanecathode on November 04, 2009, 05:00:22 PM

Good question.  I actually drove myself crazy over the last couple months since I graduated.  This class is one I was supposed to take spring semester but was dropped by the university.  It wasn't required for me to graduate but is required for PA school.

Hopefully I'll get into school this round and I'll be starting as early as this coming spring or as late as next december.  In any event, I'll be occupied getting my house and stuff ready to move and then have the next 2 1/2 years to pretty much learn 4 years of med school.

David

akvision

An investment in the mind is the best investment made...bar none...
Keep at it and good for you.

keep us posted on progress.
1960 BMW R-50 "Hanz" reborn April 24, 2009 , Ketchikan
1982 "V" AKBluv, Denver, traded for BMW R1100S
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"
1977 BMW R75/7, Green Lantern Cafe Project
Deep In the INSIDE PASSAGE, Alaska

inanecathode

Quote from: YellowJacket! on November 05, 2009, 07:46:45 PM
Quote from: inanecathode on November 04, 2009, 05:00:22 PM

Good question.  I actually drove myself crazy over the last couple months since I graduated.  This class is one I was supposed to take spring semester but was dropped by the university.  It wasn't required for me to graduate but is required for PA school.

Hopefully I'll get into school this round and I'll be starting as early as this coming spring or as late as next december.  In any event, I'll be occupied getting my house and stuff ready to move and then have the next 2 1/2 years to pretty much learn 4 years of med school.

David

git a job ya hippy  >:( ;) :P
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.

YellowJacket!

LOL....
Have one now 60 hrs one week and 24 the next.  I call it my busy and easy week.  On my feet saving lives all day with 15 mins for lunch when I'm lucky.  Flu sucks.
Gonna drive myself crazy when I'm unemployed though.

David

seabee

Best of luck brother...stay the course, you can do it!
***1982 Yamaha XZ 550 Vision***

YellowJacket!

I think for the first time since elementary school, I'll be looking for a tutor.  Hope she's good looking.

david

akvision

dream cake! ;D   maybe ice cream. or the perfect "V"
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"

YellowJacket!

Got a "Turn Down" letter the other day from Lincoln Memorial University in North East TN.  Funny thing is that their application period doesn't end until Dec. 31 so I guess they had enough candidates.  I still have to take the GRE to qualify for the other 3 schools and my deadline for that is fast approaching.  Damn, I hate standardized tests.
No biggie about LMU though as its a new school and still has to graduate a full class before it gets its accredidation, plus their tuition is almost $20,000.00 MORE than the next highest school I applied for!

David

funkamongus

You'll be fine. Your door is opening. You pushed it open by being ready. It will happen. Healthcare will be around for a long time!! Cant Outsource it, yet!! 
I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

YellowJacket!

Quote from: funkamongus on November 19, 2009, 11:09:37 AM
You'll be fine. Your door is opening. You pushed it open by being ready. It will happen. Healthcare will be around for a long time!! Cant Outsource it, yet!! 

Thanks Man  :-)

David

Raj1988

Woo-hoo health care will still be around until the darn software dev dudes write a program to make a machine do everything by itself!!@!!

fyi, we are freakishly close to it already!!
Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

YellowJacket!

LOL...EMR has changed the way I work...for the better.  I hate when the system goes down (rarely) and I have to go to the "old fashioned" way of actually writing in a chart.  Man, it takes soooo much longer!''

David

YellowJacket!

WOOOOOHOOOOOOO!!!!

Got an 80% on my first exam.  Took SEVERAL hours to complete and I think I lost some more hair but I did a lot better than I expected.  I've set my bar pretty high (as you all know I usually do) so I'm pretty excited about the latest grade.  Only 15 more to go and a final.  Ugh.
Why did I ever think I could manage an accelerated Medical Organic Chem class?  I love challenges!

David

David

akvision

it will be over someday and you will miss the "good old days"
Just wait..  it will be over.  and no more tests.

Just production and performance.. 8)
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"

YellowJacket!

Got another turn down.  Not so bad though as I knew it was going to be a tough school to get into.  UAB in Birmingham Alabama has one of the only Surgical Physician Assistant programs in the country.  The also have a "residency" for cardio/thooracic surgery which is what I want to do.  No biggie as I'll still get all the training, it was just one of the best schools to go to.  So, it looks like its between one school here in TN and the other in SC.

I should know something final by the end of January.

In the mean time, I take the GRE in 3 weeks (woohoo) and I'm getting ready for another organic chem exam.  LOL...I did find a pre med student that is majoring in chemistry and "loved" organic that may be able to help me some too. 

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

David

akvision

Keep postive and don't give up.  The right thing will come along.. it all works out for the best in the end.
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"