News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Fuse Box

Started by artbone, November 09, 2009, 10:37:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

artbone

My fuse box is screwed. It's what's caused my tach, fuel gauge, and temp gauge to stop working. What have other Visionaries done to solve this problem.

Art
Art Bone

'83 Yamaha Vision in the Classic Black and Gold  Running
'82 Yamaha Vision Running
'74 Norton Fastback - Colorado Norton Works #26  Running
'73 Norton Interstate  Running
'75 Triumph T 160  Running
'62 Harley Davidson Vintage Racer
'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650

akvision

a fuse box replacement has been posted.
search "fuse box " and see what you come up with. otherwise I know that Mr. 'T' has the answer
1960 BMW R-50 "Hanz" reborn April 24, 2009 , Ketchikan
1982 "V" AKBluv, Denver, traded for BMW R1100S
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"
1977 BMW R75/7, Green Lantern Cafe Project
Deep In the INSIDE PASSAGE, Alaska

Tiger

:) I cut out the oem unit...(and chuck it in the recycle bin!!!)...and replace the 4 under the seat and 1 in the headlight bucket, with modern in-line fuse holders and fuses. These are the ato blade type of fuse holders/fuses that are available at your local auto store. I hard wire them in with butt connectors/heat shrink...Clean, simple and permanent 8)

Replacement cost less than $20.00..and about 30 minutes of your time  ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

artbone

I found this fuse box that's 3.0x2.4X1.25 and looks really cool. It's got 5 fuses and 8 connections if you want to hook up other stuff. It's $60 with shipping but as I said it looks really cool. I'll do a report when it arrives next week.

http://www.cyclenutz.com/products/electrical_accessories/fuse_panel_relays/centech_ap-1_auxiliary_fuse_panel.html

Cyclenutz has a lot of cool stuff.

Art
Art Bone

'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650

vadasz1

art:  I would never trust a screwless terminal in a vehicular application.  I don't mind them in the residential switches and plugs and what not, but not in anything to do with transportation.  The vibrations may cause problems.  The best method would be to put a crimp terminal onto the end of the wire and then insert into terminal hole and screw down.  Or if you are using stranded copper wire then just tin the end of the exposed wire and then insert and screw it.

This would do better and is a WHOOOOOOOLE  lot cheaper.  http://www.cyclenutz.com/products/electrical_accessories/fuse_panel_relays/centech_fb-6_atc_fuse_block.html

Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

QBS

Wow!  This retailer has some really neat stuff.  If the quaity is good, the mini multimeter is a great deal.

vadasz1

Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

artbone

Art Bone

'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650

akvision

;D;Dyou guys are a load of laughs... thanks ;D ;D ;D
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"

artbone

Quote from: vadasz1 on November 12, 2009, 10:22:03 AM
art:  I would never trust a screwless terminal in a vehicular application.  I don't mind them in the residential switches and plugs and what not, but not in anything to do with transportation.  The vibrations may cause problems.  The best method would be to put a crimp terminal onto the end of the wire and then insert into terminal hole and screw down.  Or if you are using stranded copper wire then just tin the end of the exposed wire and then insert and screw it.

This would do better and is a WHOOOOOOOLE  lot cheaper.  http://www.cyclenutz.com/products/electrical_accessories/fuse_panel_relays/centech_fb-6_atc_fuse_block.html

I was going to cut off the little tabs that hold the fuses and leave the metal flat part and insert that in the hole and screw it down. I'll send some pics when I get it.

Tony, the guy I spoke to at Cyclenutz was very nice and helpful. I'm going to order some more stuff from them.

ART
The
Art Bone

'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650

YellowJacket!

Quote from: vadasz1 on November 12, 2009, 10:22:03 AM
art:  I would never trust a screwless terminal in a vehicular application.  I don't mind them in the residential switches and plugs and what not, but not in anything to do with transportation.  The vibrations may cause problems.  The best method would be to put a crimp terminal onto the end of the wire and then insert into terminal hole and screw down.  Or if you are using stranded copper wire then just tin the end of the exposed wire and then insert and screw it.

Thats edzachary what I've been looking for.  :-)

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

sunburnedaz

For those of you who want a really small fuse box. Here is one that uses 4 of the ATM fuses. ATM fuses are the kind that most cars use now AKA the mini blade fuses. I have one on order to replace the one I was using that I found in one of my tool boxes than broke on me. And it is only 4.55 plus shipping. Mine came out to 8.13 with shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/4-section-ATM-Automotive-Fuse-Block/dp/B0023TEN9U
1982 Yamaha XZ550 - Almost bone stock
2005 Honda F4i - Nothing stock
98 ZX-6R Track Bike
1998 Chevy truck - AKA recovery truck

akvision

very business like. looks like a good product.
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"

sunburnedaz

Just wanted to follow up and tell you that I got the fuse box in. They called me and said they were out of the 4 slot units but would ship me the 6 slot unit for the same price. I got in 3 days after they called me. The 6 slot unit is perfect for our application. I am not using the extra slots so I keep an extra 10 and 30 amp fuse in the unused 2 slots. If I want to add accessories I already have the extra slots. The cover was a bit too tall to use in the stock location so I just put some dielectric grease on all the fuses and slipped them into place. Works great now there is no more dieing while out on the road from a loose fuse.
98 ZX-6R Track Bike

sunburnedaz

Just so you guys can see the size of this box here is one of our spark plugs next to the fuse box. The lower two fuses are spares.

98 ZX-6R Track Bike

artbone

To follow up on the fuse box I ordered from Cyclenutz, it wouldn't work for what I wanted to do, at least, not without some rewiring.  >:(  After seeing the box Sunburnedaz posted the pics of I ordered one of those. I haven't got it yet but I was pleased to see that it mounts in the stock position.

That looks like a very neat installation.

Art
Art Bone

'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650