News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

My Project.

Started by ejo, October 18, 2009, 07:55:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ejo

I thought about up loading lots of re-build pics but having a look around other sites, I thought I'd start a page of my own. save on loads of Server space for this site. I've linked to a few of you guys on here, i hope you dont mind, (If you do please say so) If any body wants to be added as a link or can point to a good site please let me know.
If any one has any Ideas or suggestions for anything please feel free to comment.

cheers.

http://ejo.creations.com/xz550/

ejo
~

funkamongus

You're getting there!!! Have you heard her fire yet?? I got to the bottom and wanted to keep reading!
I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

sunburnedaz

Welcome. man yeh it will be fun when it gets started.
1982 Yamaha XZ550 - Almost bone stock
2005 Honda F4i - Nothing stock
98 ZX-6R Track Bike
1998 Chevy truck - AKA recovery truck

chrisw

Good luck! looks like a tough project. You can catch my rebuild on this site, or bikepics (im the only lame purple XZ on bikepics haha)

keep us updated :)

ejo

Bump !

Has any body had one of these welded before, or have I got to source another.

For those who don't recognise it, it's the Starter Clutch.

Tiger

:) FUBAR'd bud...Go source another one from your local wreckers... ;) I've had to change three like that this past year for Vision owners!!!

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

don_vanecek

Wow, I don't think I could have handled all the problems you are having getting this V up and running. Although mine did take an eight (or was it nine) year rest I was able to keep it shedded and out of the sun. Did get some mice in the air cleaner but as the original owner at least I knew what I had before the hibernation.

Wish you good luck on the rest your rebuild!

ejo

These xzeds are thin on the ground in the UK, Though there is a perfectly good model being broken on fleabay uk, http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/XZ550-YAMAHA-VISION-engine-bolt-BREAKING-SPARES-PARTS_W0QQitemZ280418349792QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Motorcycle_Parts?hash=item414a3c72e0 (they want £350 unbroken) I'm waiting to hear back from them about the starter clutch. Does anyone know if they fitted the same starter cluch to any other model yams ?
found one on ebay in the US but shipping is too much.
Or, are there any UK members here with any spare's we could exchange sheckles for ?
Specifically, the Starter clutch, and front brake calipers, but I expect more might be needed later. lol

Night Vision

first generation Yamaha Ventures starter clutch will fit...

google this: 11H-15580

I think the dealers here can get them,  surely there must be some in the EU
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

lexx790

Quote from: ejo on November 04, 2009, 06:28:10 PM
These xzeds are thin on the ground in the UK, Though there is a perfectly good model being broken on fleabay uk, http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/XZ550-YAMAHA-VISION-engine-bolt-BREAKING-SPARES-PARTS_W0QQitemZ280418349792QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Motorcycle_Parts?hash=item414a3c72e0 (they want £350 unbroken) I'm waiting to hear back from them about the starter clutch. Does anyone know if they fitted the same starter cluch to any other model yams ?
found one on ebay in the US but shipping is too much.
Or, are there any UK members here with any spare's we could exchange sheckles for ?
Specifically, the Starter clutch, and front brake calipers, but I expect more might be needed later. lol

I'll have a look in my spares box and let you know or you can get them from European supplier.- http://www.cmsnl.com/yamaha-xz550rj-1982_model8893/partslist/C-05.html

ejo

Thanks for all the input guys, both on here, and in email, keep it coming.
I had found that site Lexx but thanks, WOW ! 120 euro plus postage on top. I'm on a tight budget, and I cant sell the missus cos she walked out a couple months back, probably just as well, Id have put her on ebay in exchange for parts ! lol
Really need second hand one and a few of you guys are having a look in your spares boxes so thanks, and Ill keep you posted when I find one.

ejo
~

lexx790

Sorry ejo had a look in my spares and couldn't see one of those.
What material is it , could it be brazed back together ?

Tiger

:) ejo, try simcha...he's in Yorkshire. He may be able to help you  :-\ Look in his profile for info'.... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

ejo

Thanks for looking Lexx, I don't know if it can be braized, I'll take it to a welding shop tomorrow and find out.
Thanks Tiger, i'm in contact with Simcha via email, he's taking a look in his spares box for me.
Will let you guys know how I get on.

Thanks again.

ejo
~

ejo

Sadly, at this moment in time, there are no spare starter clutch's available here in the UK .  ??? >:(

But the good news is, I had mine welded, .....and................SHE LIVES !

Will upload short video of the start up to my site when I can find a server to house it.

ONE SMILEY CHAPPIE HERE       ;D  even though there is still a long way to go.

Tiger

8) Superb mate...your making progress, that is all that matters ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)

artbone

Quote from: ejo on November 04, 2009, 03:37:58 PM
Bump !

Has any body had one of these welded before, or have I got to source another.

For those who don't recognise it, it's the Starter Clutch.

I had one welded up on my bike that's in the Isle of Man. It's been in there 10 or 11 years and I haven't had a problem. Of course, if I had a choise I would get a new one but a good welder can fix it.

I met my future wife in July 98 and I was going over to the IOM in Aug. and pick up the Vision and ride it through France, Switzerland, and Italy, then back to the IOM for the Manx GP. I invited Carol to join me on the Island for a week. She had never sat on a bike before, much less rode one.
   She accepted and I set off on my European adventure. During the trip the starter got worse and worse until I had to push it off every time, no fun loaded with bags for a long trip. I knew I would have to fix it on the IOM because I would look like a complete dork if I brought a woman all the way over there, then didn't have a bike to ride.
   Luckily I had the manual and got everything apart and determined that the little ring was broken and the shoulder bolts and threads were toast. I found a welder who could weld up the ring and he pointed me to a machine shop where they Helicoiled the threads and, believe it or not, had the right shoulder bolts.
   Then, after all that, as I was putting the thing back together, I dropped one of the springs and ball bearings into the bottom end. (note to self: always put a rag in that hole that leads to the oil pan.)I got the ball out but couldn't get the spring. I put it back together with a spring from a ball point pen, not something I would recommend but desperate times call for desperate measures. The starter has worked fine ever since.  :)

Art

Art Bone

'83 Yamaha Vision in the Classic Black and Gold  Running
'82 Yamaha Vision Running
'74 Norton Fastback - Colorado Norton Works #26  Running
'73 Norton Interstate  Running
'75 Triumph T 160  Running
'62 Harley Davidson Vintage Racer
'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650