News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

New (sort of) Vision Owner

Started by Armored_Hearse, November 16, 2009, 08:51:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armored_Hearse

Just wanted to stop and introduce myself. My name is John, and I am now the proud owner of an '82 Vision that has a little over 19,000 miles on the odometer. This is my second, as I owned an '82 about 20 years ago.
This one is in really good condition in my opinion. All the plastics are there, nothing is leaking or rusted out. Really a great start to a winter restoration.
I have the wheels off and should have them back sometime today with new tires. The front was bad, the rear was just dangerous. In fact, I think the rear may have been original.
I managed to find the torque specs for the axles and pinch bolts, but none for the front brake caliper. If someone has those, it would be greatly appreciated.
The only item that I can tell that needs addressed in the "Vision stumble." Bad tires meant no riding, so I haven't even started to work though it. I see lots of good information at ROV, so I'll just work my way through what's here. I'm sure everything has all been addressed at one time or the other.
Thanks for having a great site, and I hope to add something once in a while.

YellowJacket!

Hi John and welcome to ROV.  From the looks of the picture, you got yourself a really nice looking bike and I hope all goes well with your restoration.
Theres lots of good info here on the site about stumble and carbe cleaning/tuning.
You may also want to get yourself one of Lucky's DVD's that has the haynes manual, shop manual and lots of other good stuff on it.  Look up veteran member "Lucky" and send him a PM.  The proceeds from teh dvd sales go to keeping his two visions running and keeping his site www.xz550.com running. (which , by the way is another good source of info).
Tell us a little more about yourself.  Where are you located?  There may be other Visionaries around you that may be able to offer some help.

Welcome aboard!
David (Knoxville, TN)

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Armored_Hearse

A little about myself. Hmm...
Motorcycle nut, have ridden since I was about 10, and am now in my early forties.
I have two other bikes, both are H-D's (Touring, Cruiser). My wife and I love to ride, and average about 12,000 miles in a year. Sometimes I have trouble driving when I get behind the wheel. ;)
I wanted a smaller bike for in-town and as an easier winter project, and thought if I could track down a decent Vision it would be perfect. I really liked the one I had in the past, other than it had lots of problems. I managed to find one via Cragslist in Kentucky. I'm not afraid to turn a wrench, so that helps too. Especially with an older bike.
I am located in Bloomington Indiana. Been here for about 5 years now and enjoy all the back roads. I've lived in Illinois, Arizona and grew up in Washington.
I am more of a reader, as most questions I have have usually been answered a few time. I tend not to post too often.
I'll need to get the CD on order ASAP.  I did see the XZ550.com too and have it bookmarked. Need to start finding places to buy parts as well. I did check eBay as well before buying to see if there was a decent amount of stuff, and there was.

I think that  sums things up a little. Thanks for the warm welcome!

QBS

Beautiful bike.  Address the usual gremlins and factory defects and you'll be in lust.

YellowJacket!

Ahhhh...  Now we know you a bit better.  :-)

Anything in particular as far as parts, you may be able to find here.  Check out the swap shop page and don't be afraid to ask.  I have a few extra parts myself and I'm downsizing to go to grad school. (a bit of a leap for me as I'm in my early forties too).
Tiger, as you may already be aware of...the guy who has a particular affinity for finding and rebuilding Visions, keeps a regularly updated parts list in the swap shop of things he has to sell.  He also makes some fantastic plug and starter wires....better than you will find anywhere.
Ebay has been a good source and if my daily ebay search emails are right, there seems to be a spike in available Vision parts.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

QBS

Has the starter clutch been reattached?  Has the starter motor oil seal been upgraded?

Tiger

:) Hi and welcome to the ROV family... 8)

8).......TIGER........ 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Armored_Hearse

Thanks for the information! I think I'll need a "Tiger Wiring Kit" this winter when I open things up for a connector cleaning.
I took a very short ride yesterday on my new tires. It also gave me a chance to see how it handled (sporty, no wiggles/wobbles) and time to think about the stumble.
Today ended up being YICS rebuild day. I figured I would start with the easiest part to remove. Besides, it's plastic and it's 27 years old.
Once off and in my hands, I suspected it was bad. It was missing the lower screw, and the bottom mount on the chrome cover was broken. Maybe a 1mm gap between the inner and outer covers at the bottom mount as well. In addition, there were screwdriver marks around the seam from where someone tried to pry it open.
Covered the rear port, blew into the front and it leaked pretty good. Opened the rear and blew into the front, and it was even worse. Almost no resistance.
I followed the rebuild detailed on Lucky's XZ550.com page, and a quick test (it's still drying) shows a sealed up unit. Tomorrow evening it gets a full leak test then installation with new tubing. Hope the weatherman is correct on 60 degree weather this weekend!

I think I like this quirky little bike!  --  John

Night Vision

you found a quirky one? you lucky dog!

25 ft lbs / 35 nm on the caliper bolts

welcome to the show
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Lucky

one required repair down, 99 to go! ;>
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black