News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Passed the Citizenship test

Started by Raj1988, November 21, 2009, 12:25:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raj1988

As culmination of the process of reestablishing myself in my new home country, i find myself reflecting on the hardships faced by my parents in order to give their kids a small step up before setting them free into the world. The idea to move to Canada from India was something the old man began toying with 1996. Summer 97 saw us filling forms and paper work. Then began the waiting game. We waited until Dec 2005. I never realized it then but the slippery slope of a life hinging on the outcome of a visa application effected every decision they took. Simple things such as buying a couch had to be debated. Where would it go if and when we leave! Is it worth buying a darn couch!! Well in any case 8 yrs of waiting which did include a new couch and a letter in the mail with a Resident Permit affixed in each of our passports. That was the easy part!!!

Fast forward to Jan 2006 and i find myself living in a bare townhouse (didn't know what a townhouse was at that point in time, as a matter of fact, i had never seen snow apart from on mountain peaks) with an ancient Mattress for a couch, A small TV on the floor and a spanking new mattress, one each for both my sister and i. Of course for the better part of the year they slept on the couch/Mattress.
We have come a long way since, in a relatively short period of time. For this i must thank all the people of Canada,past and present, for establishing such an amazing country in which hard work is justly rewarded and a man can go far with a little perseverance. I hope that someday i can give back as well as i have recieved.

Almost 4 years from the time we landed as Aliens in Canada and have been officially recognized as citizens of our adopted country.

The reason i began thinking about this was because I was listening to a talk show on the AM and one of the hosts was portraying immigrants as people looking for a free ride the couldn't get in their country of birth. Given that a talk show host is meant to cause a stir, i was quite shocked as to the number of people who called in to agree and "cite" examples of the above mentioned allegation. I am not under any impression that bigotry is dead, on the contrary educated bigot ism can be respected as one person's opinion. Our journey has been anything but a free free ride. Au contrair, it has been a labour of parental love and toil, year after year.... and they still keep going
If i can be half as capable as they are, i will consider myself worthy of this life.

I Apologise for the rambles...

In short, Hurray I can fly the maple leaf as a proud Canadian EH!!

Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

Brian Moffet

Quote from: Raj1988 on November 21, 2009, 12:25:52 AM
one of the hosts was portraying immigrants as people looking for a free ride the couldn't get in their country of birth.

I'm sorry that you have to deal with that (though I am not a Canadian).  They are idiots.  We have them here in the U.S. as well.  And congratulations.

Tiger

:) Congratulations my Canadian immigrant and citizenship brother... 8)

I came here from England 15 'ish years ago, a W.A.S.P (= White Anglo-Saxon Protestant), and was told a "shoe in" because of my "heritage"...and the fact that my family had moved here, from England, in 1974... ::)

It took me, (via a lawyer), 22 months and cost me over $10,000.00 (Canadian Immigration & lawyers fee's!!!), to become a "Landed Immigrant"!!!!!
During that time I could not (legally) work, I couldn't go to school (if I wanted to!!), I couldn't even have a bank account...as I had no S.I.N. number!!!!! That all changed with-in a week of getting my landed immigrant paperwork and S.I.N. number ;)

It took me a further three years to become a Canadian Citizen...Something that I am very proud of 8) So much so, that I have never been back to the U.K. since arriving here, don't fly a "Union Jack", you'll never here me say "home" as in "back home"...this is my home 8)

Don't worry about the bigots/assholes 'Raj...they tend to be the kind of trash that  ALL countries have. However, regardless of the country of origin, there are people that do come here expecting a free ride. They won't learn the language (if English isn't their first language), don't try to assimilate but stay in their ghetto style comfort zone, bitch and complain that they are entitled to this, that and the other...and have that "better back home" type of attitude!!!
These are the kind of people that make it hard for those, like us, that come here to make their own mark here in this great land of ours...those that want to go forth and be a credit to our society.

Make your mark young 'Raj and once again "Welcome brother"... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Lucky

Congradulations Raj!,

Of course life has it's challenges, & overcoming those obsticals adds another 'stripe' to your shoulder. 

It's sad to see the level of bigotry still prevelant these days. I actually had a co-worker say to me last October that there was no way she "would ever vote to put a n*gg*r in the White House"! Unbelievable!!  I am convinced that regonal location has a lot to do with it. Growing up in New England, & being Jewish, it never really was much of an issue, but now living in the Deep South, it's something I experience at least weekly, everything from overheard conversations from passers-by, to the attitudes of co-workers.

Hopefully, you won't have to deal with problems like this. (somehow i've allways viewed Canada as more 'tolerant'..?)

Hard work & perseverance do pay  off! :)

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Re-Vision

I was drinking with Canadian airmen once in Gulfport, Mississippi when one of them equated Canada's Frenchmen with our Negros.  Bigotry isn't limited to the deep south but to the narrow minds of those without heart.  BDC

Raj1988

hey guys, thanks for the good wishes.. Canada is amazing, i have never once personally experienced anything unnecessary or unpleasant in 4 yrs here, nor have my folks.
Heck, even the Quebecois were very pleasant. In a sense, Canada has grown to get used to and accept people of various backgrounds. T.O was the last stop for the underground railway. .. I guess people do not voice their Opinions as loudly as others might...
well, hey i'm heading to Cali in December..., maybe I'll get to experience what all those people of the visible minority such as myself, keep ranting about. (i just thing sometimes ppl make mountains out of molehills)

This thread was not meant as a complaint Thread or an "i was screwed over by a Bigot" thread....... Just a reflection which i felt like i wished to share!!

Tiger

Quote from: Re-Vision on November 21, 2009, 09:07:27 AM
I was drinking with Canadian airmen once in Gulfport, Mississippi when one of them equated Canada's Frenchmen with our Negros. 

...and a small minority of the "French" have that same attitude with the "English", something that I have sadly experienced in my early days in the province of Quebec.

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

Re-Vision

I experienced a little rudeness from the French while riding the ferry out of Prince Rupert.  What I haven't understood is why the road signs are in two languages everywhere except Quebec.  BDC

Lucky

Quote from: Raj1988 on November 21, 2009, 09:14:05 AM
This thread was not meant as a complaint Thread or an "i was screwed over by a Bigot" thread....... Just a reflection which i felt like i wished to share!!

why not!!?? what's wrong with you??!!

lol ;0
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

funkamongus

I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

Raj1988

Quote from: Lucky on November 21, 2009, 10:13:30 AM
Quote from: Raj1988 on November 21, 2009, 09:14:05 AM

why not!!?? what's wrong with you??!!

lol ;0

HAHAHAHA

Rick G

Raj, from the comments of my Canadian relatives , over the years , I believe the fear was /is that with so many immigrants coming in , the "Anglo Saxon" traditions would disappear, I personally would not like that to happen, but that's just my own opinion and I'm entitled to it.
As to the Quebecois, I don't believe Canada would be the same with out them ( I was born in Montreal, of the English speaking Minority)  I wish they would give up on trying to break away,( this was a sore point with all my relatives) as they are a vital part of Canadian history and tradition. I was treated rudely during my last trip to Montreal in 1994, but upon using my cereal box French, attitudes softened.
As to  the signs being in two languages in the rest of Canada and in only French in Quebec , that's the law there. It was that way when I Visited in 1964 and hasn't changed since. They have the 'sign police there, who constantly patrol in search of English language signs on business's . Many international companies have moved there Canadian head quarters to Toronto, because they were not willing, to come up with a translation of their name. McDonald's fought it and won , although they still have to greet you in French when you come to the counter., Then I use my only french phrase " I speak little French"  I can't spell it in French, let alone write it.
To Canada's credit , there has been no civil war about this subject.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

kev10104

Well done Raj?Don't worry about them $#@$#.As you know there is good and bad in all people.Fly it proud.

Night Vision

you're Indian??!!  :o

sheesh.. I thought you were Italian... if I had known, I would have talked to you more when I was up there ;)

congrats!...

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Cdnlouie

Welcome to Canada Raj! It is family's like yours that continues to inspire the work ethic for Canadians.  Once you've been here a few generations you start taking your blessings for granted and we need to be reminded that we are all just pilgrims on this earth and we don't deserve any of it, but we have been given a gift to share and we are proud to share with you and your family.

Let's build a great country together  :D,

P.S. - N.V. you are in big trouble when our Italian brother catches up with you!  I can see a Motoguzzi coming for ya!  ::)

YellowJacket!

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Raj1988

Thanks david and everyone for your well wishes!!!

Raj1988

Quote from: Night Vision on November 21, 2009, 09:54:19 PM
you're Indian??!!  :o

sheesh.. I thought you were Italian... if I had known, I would have talked to you more when I was up there ;)

congrats!...

NV, you are mistaken..... i WAS Indian!!!!! :)

YellowJacket!

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Tiger

Quote from: Raj1988 on November 21, 2009, 11:08:29 PM
Quote from: Night Vision on November 21, 2009, 09:54:19 PM
you're Indian??!!  :o

congrats!...

NV, you are mistaken..... i WAS Indian!!!!! :)

.......and now a proud Canadian  8)