News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

#18...She's alive again!!!...

Started by Tiger, December 08, 2009, 05:20:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiger

:) #17 is under canvass in the back yard for the moment ( #14-#16 and "The Mistress are in my garage, #15 is with kev10104!!!) and #18 has just arrived at my door today!!!
She belongs to Mike, a new member to the ROV/OnROV and although in not to bad a condition...she has been standing for some time and needs "Tigerized"...LOL
General "stuff" has to be sorted...Carbs need cleaning, tires need changing, new battery to replace the empty space!! leaking fork seal, brakes not working, oem fuse box needs replacing, etc, etc...

Looks like I'm in for a buuuuuuuusy winter period... ::)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

sunburnedaz

Pics?

Gonna fix the starter clutch bolts and all that too?
1982 Yamaha XZ550 - Almost bone stock
2005 Honda F4i - Nothing stock
98 ZX-6R Track Bike
1998 Chevy truck - AKA recovery truck

Tiger

Quote from: sunburnedaz on December 08, 2009, 06:22:50 PM
Pics?

Gonna fix the starter clutch bolts and all that too?

:) Pics...there coming.

...and the "Gonna fix the starter clutch bolts and all that too?"...comes under Etc, etc.... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

akvision

What about a little history on how you find these units?
1960 BMW R-50 "Hanz" reborn April 24, 2009 , Ketchikan
1982 "V" AKBluv, Denver, traded for BMW R1100S
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"
1977 BMW R75/7, Green Lantern Cafe Project
Deep In the INSIDE PASSAGE, Alaska

Rick G

Certain large metropolitan areas had relatively large sales of Visions. it seems that the Toronto metro area is one of those. The Twin Cities in MN are another and to a lesser extent , Portland OR.  Probably LA too.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Tiger

Quote from: akvision on December 08, 2009, 09:31:32 PM
What about a little history on how you find these units?

:) Over the last year or so, I have advertised on some of the free web sites...Graig's List, kijiji, etc...here in the province of Ontario for Visions/Vision parts. Leads also come in from other OnROV/non-OnROV members about Visions/Vision parts that are available. One of my Visions, an '83, came out of a frequently visited wreckers yard...another good source.

A couple of rebuilds have come to me via their owners, new or old, looking for help to get their Visions back on the road...as is the case with #18...and new owners needing help to fix problems with their "new" rides...kev10104, Raj, etc.

Funny enough, I can only think of one that came out of Toronto...the rest have been scattered around a bit.

8).......TIGER....... 8)
PS The province of Ontario is larger than England!!

Tiffanator

Tiger... fancy a roadtrip to the warm and toasty south? My Vision needs some Tigerization.  ;D
Tiffanator
First time restorer

Tiger

Quote from: Tiffanator on December 09, 2009, 03:22:44 PM
Tiger... fancy a roadtrip to the warm and toasty south? My Vision needs some Tigerization.  ;D

8) Ahhhhhhh sunshine, my skins turns opaque in winter :o. I'll be glad to come to the aid of a damsel in distress...just need a plane ticket + bed and breakfast!!!  ;D :D :D :D :D :D... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Tiffanator

Bed and breakfast I can take care of. You like banana buttermilk pancakes and sausage links? May have to get creative with the plane ticket... how about hopping in a box and hiding in the back of a UPS truck?  :D
Tiffanator
First time restorer

Tiger

Quote from: Tiffanator on December 09, 2009, 09:23:13 PM
Bed and breakfast I can take care of. You like banana buttermilk pancakes and sausage links? May have to get creative with the plane ticket... how about hopping in a box and hiding in the back of a UPS truck?  :D

:)Mmmmmmmmmmmmm, sure, who doesn't 8)

I don't mind the jack in the box bit ;) ...but I hate U P S, they cant deliver squat right >:(  I'd end up in God knows were :D :D :D :D :D :D

8).......TIGER....... 8)

YellowJacket!

So, when you hit # 20 - which, at the rate you are going should be sometime around February - we will proclaim you "Grand Master Visionary Restorer".

:-)

Good Job Tiger....geep the flame burning.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

funkamongus

I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

kev10104

I knew there would be a reply about ups.And you are absolutely correct about them too.

Tiger

:) I've got a wee start on #18, Mikes Vision... 8)

Removed the oem fuse box and replaced it with new, modern style, in-line ATO fuse holders/fuses.

Replaced the main positive cable (to the starter motor) and the negative (battery to ground) cable with new custom made cables.

The R/R now resides on a newly made bracket which is fastened on to the rear lower fender, just above and forward of the left rear foot peg. The oem plugs were removed and three new lengths of white wire grafted in and finished with heat shrink.

Bobbed the rear fender...this gets rid of the big licence plate light/holder and the chunk of steel reinforcing under the fender. Lightens the load a wee bit and looks a lot better.

Removed the two rear signal indicators and then removed from them, the long rubber stalks. Short stalks replaced the long ones and the indicators have been reinstalled. This gives the rear end (along with the bobbed fender) a more modern look.

The front/rear foot pegs have been removed along with the rear brake lever, gear changer and the big aluminum plates. These will all get repainted/polished before being refitted to the "V".

The gas tank and air box have been removed...along with the side plastics and battery box...and put away in the garage loft for now.

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Tiger

:) It looks like this little lady has gone down on the right side at some point...prob' fell over on that side as there are no drag marks. However, there is a chunk of plastic missing from the rad' cowl, the rear signal indicator body is damaged and the front signal indicator lens is fractured.

These have now all been replaced...and the old parts have gone in to the recycle bin... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Tiger

:) I decided to remove the back wheel and service the rear brake workings... :o...the actuator shaft in the back plate was solid!!! Once the actuator arm was removed I had to drive out the shaft with a drift and a 3lb hammer :o ::)  The rear axle had to be driven out most of the way also!!! Just one of the problems when these old girls are left laying around and neglected, eh.

Everything went in to the parts washer for a soak, before scrubbing the crap off them. A wee bit of work with the wire wheel, wiped all the parts off and lubed the required bits and ....VOILA...working brakes once again. Well, they will be, when I get the rear wheel back on...and that won't be until I receive the new tires, that this lady needs, from Mike.
The rear brake shoes looked fairly new. These were washed off with brake and parts cleaner, dried off and the glazing removed from the shoe surface with some coarse emery cloth prior to rebuilding.

The rear brake stabilizer bar, adjuster arm/spring/nut and brake pedal shaft went in to the parts washer bath before being gone over with the wire wheel. These will get a coat of zinc paint before going back on the Vision. The shaft will get a good smear of anti-seize ;)

Still a long way to go before this Vision is road ready...and a long winter period ahead, oh well  ::) :D :D :D :D :D.... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Tiger

:) The steering still has the oem ball bearings, however, they are done...there is a definite indent in there. Sooooo, without further delay...I stripped out the complete front end.

The front forks need new seals/oil in them. The brake caliper is seized and one of the master cylinder cover screws is snapped off waaaaaaaay down in there...

I had a spare set of  forks already overhauled, so that's a done deal... 8)

A spare upper triple tree and '82 handle bar risers were bead blasted a while back and repainted gloss black, so I cleaned up and fitted the idiot lights and ignition switch to the upper triple tree... 8)

The bearing race's were removed from the frame tube as well as the one on the lower triple tree shaft. The lower triple tree was dropped in to the parts washer along with other bits and pieces to get a complete scrub and rinse off.

The rear footpegs were removed from there holders and after cleaning the chrome finish up, the pegs were reinstalled using new universal clevis/cotter pins. The pins in the front pegs were drilled out and using new universal clevis/cotter pins, the front pegs were refitted in to another set of holders which had been bead blasted and repainted gloss black. 

The new taper head bearings are on order, which means that I'll have to wait until delivery before I can refit the front end on... ::)

8)........TIGER........ 8)

Tiger

:) This girl is sitting on her centre stand and a jack for balance since the wheels were removed... ::)

The swing arm/drive has been cleaned down and repainted with Aluminum paint. The open drive gear area has been washed down and using cotton buds, the gearing completely cleaned of all the crud and grease that was in there...as has the gearing on the rear wheel... both have been re greased...8) The rear brake bar and adjuster rod have been stripped and repainted. Once I get the new tires and fit them to the rims, I can put all the rear end back together... 8)

At the front end...I removed the complete front brake system. One of the master cylinder cover screws was snapped, as was the ball end of the lever...so I've replaced them with a serviced unit which has the brake fluid level "frosted" plastic viewer replaced with a new clear glass one.

The lower triple tree has been repainted black, as has the headlight bracket, master cylinder cover and some other odds and ends... 8)

I have the caliper to do yet...Still awaiting the steering head taper bearings and front tire...Once I have these, the front end can all go back together...However, there is no hurry...we will have winter for a few more months yet !!!!  

8).......TIGER....... 8)

funkamongus

ah yes, swing arm paint.. What, exactly, do you use for that??
I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

Tiger

Quote from: funkamongus on January 06, 2010, 07:25:25 PM
ah yes, swing arm paint.. What, exactly, do you use for that??

:) A spay bomb of industrial Aluminum lacquer paint that I had in my cabinet... ;)