Hobbies as a way of being connected

Started by Brian Moffet, December 13, 2009, 01:07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Moffet

Some people wonder about my hobbies, some say I have way too many.  One of the organizations I belong to is the Experimental Aircraft Association.  While I doubt that I will even build my own airplane, or even meet my goal of piloting a P-51, it does mean I am connected to things like this, which to me is absolutely amazing...:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34274540/ns/technology_and_science-picture_stories/displaymode/1247/?beginSlide=1

funkamongus

sweet,, Ive been watching them from the first X prize.. I really hope they succeed. I dont think Ill be able to afford it in my lifetime,, but one never knows.
I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

Rick G

Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Re-Vision

Those were some nice pictures Brian, Its amazing what Rutan can do with millions compared to Nasa and their billions.  BDC

funkamongus

Its purpose, is to take a craft into the upper atmosphere, where a smaller ship will take off from there, go into space, and return. Its the second product of the X Prize winner and is supposed to be, very soon, ready to take folks with the cash into space.. not for long, but for a bit. 
I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

ps2/bikevision

You should check out Jeff dunham's helicopter they did an interview on cmt fast living. It was pretty cool. Its classified as an experamental aircraft and is not licensed by the FAA. Runs on pump gas too.

Brian Moffet

Quote from: ps2 on December 15, 2009, 12:37:09 PM
Its classified as an experamental aircraft and is not licensed by the FAA. Runs on pump gas too.

It is certified as an experimental, amateur-built, aircraft by the FAA.  Which means that he (or someone) was responsible for putting together more than 50 percent of the aircraft.  All aircraft, with the exception of ultra-lights, have to be certified by the FAA and meet a series of safety requirements.  Without that, they do not get an 'N' number or a registration.

FYI,
Brian

There was a good article on him in Sport Aviation, the magazine of the Experimental Aircraft Association.

don_vanecek

My older brother is currently building one of the kit planes, sorry I don't recall it's name, it will be 2 seat, side by side, low wing, trycycle landing gear, it may be called a RV-1. It will significantly outperform his current Cessna 172-I hope he actually finishes it! Uncle SAM of course taught him how to fly doing two tours in KC-135's over good old Vietnam. As you can guess he's no spring chicken but but boy is he a good flyer and knows his stuff well. Pretty soon he will need to sale the Cessna to buy just the engine for the new plane! His house is interesting as parts of wings and other items are here and there all over the house.   

Brian Moffet

I have flown the RV-7A, the RV-8, the RV-9, and the RV-10A from Vans Aircraft and they are all wonderful flying airplanes.  I have not yet had a chance to fly the RV-12, which is the light-sport version but it looks really nice as well.

Brian

ps2/bikevision

don_vanecek

Yeah it must be one of the RV model planes he is building. He is setting his up as a nice touring plane with auto pilot, GPS, both computer and back up manual instrumentation. He tells me it will have a very short take off run and cruise about 150-50 faster then the Cessna and be just as economical or better (now don't quote me that I have all the facts 100% correct). Sure hope he gets it done before something happens to him that he can't fly anymore (he is 65 years old).