News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

rear cylinder misfire

Started by hmmmnz, December 13, 2009, 05:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hmmmnz

some times my bike won't fire at all on the rear cylinder, and sometimes its sweet as,
ive opened the tci and had a look at all the components and re-soldered every joint,
i had a look on the vision resources page (nice work who ever did that) and it suggests the rev limiter,
i thought the limiter only killed the front cylinder,

what do you guys think??
should i try another tci??
my mate has a couple, probably wouldnt be too hard to get one
grrrr

hmmmnz

ok disconnected the rev limiter wire,
that didnt make a difference,

looks like ill have to borrow a cdi (tci) off my mate,

hopefully its not the pick ups, i can't be bothered making a new gasket again
grrrr

Lucky

Vision Resources is my site.

if you haven't redone your plug wires, nows the time.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

hmmmnz

done already :D
well i think i cracked it.... (famous last words)
the copper that has been laid down on the board on the tci had started peeling at points, nothing major but probably enough to give erractic sparking ect
i ran new wires and resoldered between points that looked dodgy,
and went over all the solder points again ,

and low and behold she started first time, and has done every time since,
ill let you know in a couple of day sif she is still holding up,
fingers crossed,

vision resources is a great site, keep up the good work lucky
grrrr

pullshocks

Thanks for the report.  I am going to pull my TCI out and look at it.  New spark plugs and wires and connectors,plus a thorough cleaning took care of most of my issues but I still get the feeling at times that one cylinder is cutting out..  At one point I was ready to order one of the ignitech TCIs but I never did

hmmmnz

being so old some of the solder points had dryed up, which doesnt help with electrical conductivity,

go over the board with your soldering iron, and remelt all the points, and have a look for dodgy/corroded path ways, solder in bits of wire in parallel to the paths if needed
grrrr

inanecathode

Can't remember the last time i've heard of an actually bad tci, not to mention one thats barely passable so it only kills *just* the rear cylinder. I'd find it far more likely either the coil, wire, cap, or plug is dodgy first.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

hmmmnz

yeah i thought so as well,
but the rev counter would die with the cylinder, indicating that it was pre coil,
i had 2 spare coils, so swapped out the rear one any way, for one of the spares ,
new leads and swapped the plug tops between front and rear,
no difference,
it wasn't untill i resoldered everything in the tci that ive had any degree of reliability,
saying that ive only had a couple of rides, so she still may be dodgy

its definitly something between the pick ups and tci,
although i get good results testing the pick ups, so i gave that the ok and was only left with the tci.

ill keep riding about, and will report if i get a rear cylinder drop out again
grrrr

inanecathode

Test the pickups hot, or better yet, build a jumper cable to go between them, velcro or tape your dvom to the tank or whatever, and ride around for a while. You'll probably pick up resistance going back through the electronics too, so im not sure what that reading would end up being, but i'd look for a change at least. Alot of times you'll have connections that are fine cold. The only way i knew my stator was starting to go bad is the volt meter would drop out occasionally, then come back online. Theres no way i would have known until the battery went dead otherwise.

hmmmnz

it did it once again,  funnily enough on start up,
turned the bike off and back on and was fine,
i have changed tci's so will see if i have it happen again
grrrr

inanecathode

Don't verify sensors in all operating conditions before you go replacing computers or anything.

hmmmnz

i had the spare tci handy, so ill try that, it doesnt seem to be all operating conditions, only occasionally on start up, it doesnt just drop out when she's warm,
ive tested the pick ups just about every time she does it, but the results come back fine
grrrr

Rick G

For valid information on the TCI  , follow the link to leathers site , its all there!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike