News:

Main Menu

Interesting ride to work

Started by sunburnedaz, December 31, 2009, 04:47:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sunburnedaz

I was riding to work today on my little silver vision when I was in sight of my office I got stopped at a red light. I went to pull in the clutch to shift gears in antcipation of the green light and when i pulled in the lever it was dead in my hand. So I waddled the bike over to the parking lot and shut it off and looked it over. The cable had not broken like I had feared but it had popped out of the lower holder for the cable. How it did that I will never know, so after taking it out of the lever to get enough slack in the line I put one of my gloves on to keep from burning myself and used that hand to hold the holder steady then I popped the cable in. Then I buttoned it all up and rode the last block to my work. Goes to show even when everything is humming along smoothly the gremlens can come out of the wood work.
1982 Yamaha XZ550 - Almost bone stock
2005 Honda F4i - Nothing stock
98 ZX-6R Track Bike
1998 Chevy truck - AKA recovery truck

arthurdent510

I have a spare clutch cable, if you want to pick it up....  might need a little bit of work to get it moving good again though, but it's yours if you want.

Edit: Er, pays to read closer I guess...  i see the problem wasn't the cable, but the bit the cable connects to....

h2olawyer

There is supposed to be a 'tang' on the lower clutch / cable connection.  That keeps the cable in place when there is no slack on it.  Possibly yours is broken off or bent out of the way.  I'm sure there is a way to engineer a fix if it is broken.

H2
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Lucky

1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

sunburnedaz

1982 Yamaha XZ550 - Almost bone stock
2005 Honda F4i - Nothing stock
98 ZX-6R Track Bike
1998 Chevy truck - AKA recovery truck