It's ALIVE!

Started by Armored_Hearse, January 23, 2010, 01:55:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armored_Hearse

Just got back from the initial test ride after putting things back together.
The big part of cleaning and adjusting the carbs turned out just fine. Nothing scary about cleaning, other than work slowly and pay attention to details.
I also made a bunch of upgrades and changes, most are on the Visionultions thread somewhere around these boards.
There are still a lot of small things to take care of (cleaning from test riding on wet roads ;D) ) but the hard part is hopefully behind.

My Vision was inexpensive, the parts for far have been minimal. The only real investment is time!
Thanks for Lucky and Tiger and everyone else on the boards. I know I'll still have lots of questions as my Vision will probably never be 100% done.  --  John

YellowJacket!

John, thats great news.  I remember very well the first time I started YJ up (at that time it was more multicolored black, gray, red, etc) and riding it for the first time.  You are now an official Rider of Vision!

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

lexx790

Well done m8 happy riding.

Night Vision

little cold for a ride in Indie isn't it?

good job on getting her running with mininal effort  ;)
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

funkamongus

GREAT JOB!!!!!!!!! Welcome!
I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

Tiger

8) Superb John, great to see this type of "Good News" story come up on the board for all to see.

Now she's up-and-running, you will have a great summer getting to know each other...ENJOY the fruits of your labour mate 8)

Take heart people, this is what this family is all about...taking a sad & neglected Vision and helping the new owner achieve a successful conclusion...we are all here for the same end.

8).......TIGER....... 8)
ps Its not that far to come for the OnROV Spring Ride you know... ;)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Armored_Hearse

I had it easy, as mine was a runner when I picked it up. Not that great a runner though as it stumbled right as you started to get to where the horsepower was.
So far just a carburetor cleaning and tuning (and all lines and hardware associated replaced, along with all jets), fuel filter, air filter, correct air box WITH vacuum flapper, braided brake line, plug wires, tires, fuses, oil and filter, the mystical brake stay bolt and some other stuff.
I still need to move the R/R and solder it direct.
As far as the temperature, it got up to 50F here. Still cold and wet, so the ride was about 10 miles. Just enough to check things out.
If I don't make it to Canada, maybe down south to see Lucky and YJ. Our family vacation is in TN, and our club (cruisers/touring old farts) will be scouting around London, KY for or 2011 gathering sometime this summer. (We'll be looking for Dairy Queens ;)) It would be nice to see some other Visionaries throughout the year. I remember seeing a member up north in Indiana as well.

Thanks again. My next posts will probably be in the Swap Shop looking for pieces parts.  --  John

Lucky

Hey Good job!

that minor stumble may may be nothing more than some missed crud in the card. it's common that the engine vibrations loosen up more crap.  with fuel flowing it may just well clean out.  add 1/4 can Berrymans or Seafoam fuel injector cleaner to the tank & see if that helps (DONT use those if your tank is coated with Kreem or other PVC based liner)

You can also double check the spray angle & pattern of the accelerator pump nozzles, tweak the pilot settings (have you synqed the carbs yet?) and overall expect better performance once the ambient temp warms up.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Armored_Hearse

Pilots were adjusted and carbs sync'd, but it was cold out. I plan on checking them again in warmer weather.
I could have missed some "stuff" too, and plan on some Berryman's. I didn't know it was mixed so hot though: I would have only added 2oz to a tank.
It is quite improved from fall though, so I am really happy.
Engine was warm (running for about 15 min, but temp Gage was only up about 3/16-inch) so maybe too cold. My hand were warm working around the engine though!

funkamongus

was the engine very warm when you synced her?? that does matter. You want a warmed up engine with a fan running on it so it doesnt overheat. If the engine is not fully warmed up the setting will not be right.
I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

Tiger

:) The more you ride her the better she will perform...and year two will be better again. Visions love to be ridden & ridden hard... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

Re-Vision

Where can I find the glass sight glass for the master cylinder Tiger?   BDC

kev10104

Nothing like riding them.I put 13000 kilometers on mine last year mostly riding with Tiger and the gang but hope to put even more on this year.Already itching to start.

Night Vision

Quote from: Re-Vision on January 24, 2010, 08:57:22 PM
Where can I find the glass sight glass for the master cylinder Tiger?   BDC

http://ridersofvision.net/rovforum/index.php?topic=7504.msg68796#msg68796

old eBay link but you'll get the gist of the thread
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Tiger