Build thread on my Yamaha XZR650 racebike to a street bike. SELLING BIKE

Started by johnclemens, January 31, 2010, 02:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnclemens

Ok Tonight I removed the stock FZR400 font end and checked the fit of the 2007 GSXR 600 front end.
I found that they are close but I will need new bearings.
Basically it amounts to checking the O.D of bearings on the stock front end steering stem.
Then checking the I.D. of the bearings on the new front steering stem. The you get new bearings with those ID's and OD's....  Of course the length of the steering stem also needs to be close as well. As well as the length of the forks. Since all of that is close, I should only need new bearings.
I'm heading out of town on business so it'll be a few days before I can get back to the old girl.
I think these forks are going to work great and the brakes are going to be awesome! I also can't wait to get those carbon fibre pipes mounted up.
Cheers

fret not

A whole bunch bigger fork tubes (wow!) should mean less flexing under stress.  Did the old forks give any problems?
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

johnclemens

The FZR 400 forks worked great really. Since I am going without a fairing on the front. My end look is going to be a street fighter style. The forks are big part of the front end style. Big upside down forks make it look more modern as well as working better. Also the big brakes that come on the new GSXR is what I am after. The FZR brakes were only a little better than stock vision brakes. Once I get the front mounted and take a picture you'll see what I am talking about. I still have not figured out what headlight I am going to run, But I like the Suzuki B-King its all swoopy and molded. If I can find one of those thats not super expensive I may go that route, Got to go catch a flight....Cheers!

Re-Vision

Observed that the bolts on John's sidecovers appear to be anodized red and blue.  I've seen gold colored aluminum and thought that would be way cool for an eighty-three. Could anyone tell me where to get this hardwear?  Has anyone ever seen an anodized engine, imagine the whole engine being gold colored.   BDC

fret not

Gold anodizing would indeed look cool but you would have to disassemble the motor to do that, wouldn't you?  It would be much easier to blast the surfaces and paint them with that gold stuff they put on cast magnesium.  Remember Fontana brakes?  I think that would look more like a racer and less dressy than the anodizing.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

lexx790

Unfortunately Cast aluminium doesn't give a good finish when anodised.

johnclemens

Hey Re-Vision,
You can get any color bolts and nuts at www.tastynuts.com
they have it all.

Re-Vision

Tastynuts? I visited the site and it is quite interesting, they have oil filler caps in eight or nine colors and I believe that you can get the twenty-seven mm that goes on the fared bikes with the rubber hose. Think some folks may have had difficulty finding those. Like everything else, its rather expensive.   Thanks John.   BDC

vadasz1

And they don't have a Vision or XZ550 listed.  But oddly they have an XZ500.  Wonder if they made a typo?
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

Brian Moffet

If anyone runs across the fairing bolts that attach the lowers on to the mounting brackets, let me know.

Thanks,
Brian

funkamongus

I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

Brian Moffet

Yeah, the head is flat yet rounded, and about 3 times the diameter of the bolt itself...  Phillips head.

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/1983-yamaha-motorcycle-vision-xz550rk-fairing/o/m8004sch207954

Item number 14.  Apparently Bike Bandit sells them for 5 a piece, they didn't used to..  It's the bolt on the right side that is out of focus in this photo.  You can see it has a fair collar on it, and the head is fairly large.  I lost one after my accident...

funkamongus

Thank you for the heads up on that.. I wouldnt have known until I got there, or maybe ever...
I own:

vadasz1

How about just using a button head cap screw with an oversized washer crazyglued to it?  I think that will work as well.
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

funkamongus

hmmm... nice workaround.. I'll go to the local "jewelery",, uh, I mean, "hardware" store and see if the have anything that'll work. lol..
I own:

Brian Moffet

Quote from: vadasz1 on February 06, 2010, 12:34:18 PM
How about just using a button head cap screw with an oversized washer crazyglued to it?  I think that will work as well.

That's what I have now on one side.  It holds it on fine but the profile of the bolt is wrong...  You end up with a flat portion followed by the cap of the screw.  These bolts have a very smooth rounded (but mostly flat) profile all the way across.

Yeah I know, it's a nit...

Brian

funkamongus

frankly, up here,, a bolt and washer may cost as much as the 5 plus on the web site.. I know it sounds far fetched but.. I wouldnt be at all surprised...
I own:

lexx790

Nice picture Brian do you have a close up picture of how/where the otherside bracket is attached ?

Brian Moffet

the bracket on the right side (picture to the right, click on to get about 3 more in different positions) attaches to the engine just behind the radiator tubes.  You can see it coming from behind the radiator tubes to the back of the bike and there is a a brace that curves around the frame below and the bracket that connects to the fairing above.

Brian

lexx790

Thanks Brian your a star.