News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Build thread on my Yamaha XZR650 racebike to a street bike. SELLING BIKE

Started by johnclemens, January 31, 2010, 02:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick G

And to think , John I once accused you of being a man of few words!  Seriously, thanks for the post. I really enjoy reading about the Visions of Visions. Wish I still lived in Stayton , I'd love to come up and see it it person!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

QBS

John, thank you so much for this thread.  I can't wait to read your report on the finished product.

johnclemens

Thanks guys, Glad to see you enjoying it.
Anyone local is welcome to come by and have a beer. I work by myself almost all the time so having someone to BS with is nice.
Just email me and we'll set it up.
I also do work on bikes if anyone local needs work on any of their machines.
I am less than half the cost of dealers and I'd like to think I know what I'm doing.
Most work can be done while you wait.
John

johnclemens

Ok guys I need some opinions.
Modern headlight or old school. I'll be getting a round one next week to see what that looks like.
What do you guys think looks best of these two? I was going to make a small wind screen to cover the gauges and kinda continue the line on top of that swoopy headlight. It go just back to the bars or so. But I'm not too sure if I like the looks of it. ???
I did lower the modern headlight a little after the pictures, But because its pointed on the bottom it can't go too low as it'll hit the fender when I drop it down from doing wheelies!! ;D

QBS

Between what you call the "modern" headlight and the original, I very much prefer the original.  The "modern' style is flat out ugly even on the bike that it was designed for.  

There was a V in the gallery that used a Ducati Monster headlight that I have always thought looked good.  The Monster light is large enough around to balance out the size of the stock V tank.  Of course your bike shares very little of the V's original styling so maybe the Ducati light wouldn't work.

Given the angularity of your bike, I think the original light would probably work the best from a visual standpoint.  A period Shark handle bar mounted fairing similar to what Yellow Jacket wears might work well with the original light.

Thanks for asking us to participate, even if from afar.

johnclemens

LOL don't hold back QBS. Tell me how you really feel. I can take it. ;)
Its off of a Yamaha FZ1N sold in Europe its the naked version of the FZ1 we have here.
I'll admit it doesn't look like I thought it would when I ordered it....

Raj1988

The original V headlight looks good and gives the bike a nice 80's feel to it. That being said, The fz1 headlight goes nicely with your tank and probably provides better lighting...

And.... Your taillight is off a Vision, so it could be poetic (for lack of a better word) To use the headlight from a Vision.
Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

pullshocks

At first I thought the modern looked better.  But the more I look at it the more out of place it looks.  I'd say use the original, unless you actually plan on riding a lot at night.  If you need a refresher on how mediocre the light output of the original is, I'll ride down this weekend...

Rick G

The Stock Vision HL is more than adequate, if you install a 100/130 off road bulb . I've used one for 8 years. really lights up the nite. No, its not DOT approved, but then the DOT isn't;t riding my bike.
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Rikugun

Sheesh, I thought I was resistant to change and stuck in the past! Looks like I'm gonna' have to be the voice of reason here.  ;)

I think the stock headlight is the weak link in an otherwise well executed custom bike. Unless you are going for a dated 80's retro look I'd go with the other. Unless the "upside-downsky" forks, box section frame, modern rims/tires, etc are part of the "retro" look, I think the modern light should not be summarily dismissed.

Yes, it is radically different than a stock Vision, but it's not a Vision. It has the heart of a Vision but is something very different too. Perhaps with the proposed wind screen it will bring the look together and fit the bikes unique character.

my 2 cents plus some due to inflation
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

johnclemens

I'm kinda surprised you guys put large bulbs in your headlights. Yes they light up the night. I have used them in all my other bikes. But never in a Vision.
That does not help your stator. The biggest draw on the stator is the headlight. Then you almost double its draw....

pat sullivan

John, my understanding of how the Vision charging system works is that it is a total loss system.  That is, the stator allways puts out a constant amount of power and the regulator shunts any unneeded power to ground. 

Maybe I don't have it right.  But if I do, then any additional power used by the headlight wound mean less power that would have to be handled by the regulator and maybe that would even extend the life of the charging system!

pat sullivan

QBS

+1 for Pat.  I've been running a 130/100 for at least the last 17 years and have not had a stator issue in at least the last 12 or maybe even longer.  I even run the stock 10 amp fuse rating with zero issues. 

67GTO

Do you have a source for that bulb? Or part #

Thanks, Dan
" Like a dream he flies away, no more to be found,
banished like a Vision of the night."
                                                Job 20:8    NIV

johnclemens

Well that shows my Electrical knowledge. :P
I always thought more draw meant more heat in the system. I guess I'll stick to working with metal.
Maybe its the Regulator that I'm thinking it hurts. I'm certain there is a limit on current draw. You will fry something if you start hanging extra lights and heated vests, grips, stuff like that.
Thanks for the correction.

Dan, You can get those bulbs all over ebay. In blue or white

Brian Moffet

John, if you have the capability, you could measure the power draw off the stator and finally answer this question  ;D

I personally don't believe it is a constant draw anymore.  I think it depends on whether the wave-form is higher than 14 volts or not whether it is a constant draw.  If higher than 14 volts, it is constant. If lower, depends on the load on the bike. However, I haven't tested this out.

Brian  (used to think it was a constant draw and then I did some research on regulators.)

QBS

John, from my understanding of the systems' function, if one were to exceed the amperage output of the V alternator with excessive amperage draw, the only result would be a battery that would eventually end up depleted.

Rick G

I've run the things since '02 with no problem. I jest need to see where I'm goin'
Rick G

inanecathode

Quote from: johnclemens on July 16, 2010, 08:07:01 PM
Well that shows my Electrical knowledge. :P
I always thought more draw meant more heat in the system. I guess I'll stick to working with metal.
Maybe its the Regulator that I'm thinking it hurts. I'm certain there is a limit on current draw. You will fry something if you start hanging extra lights and heated vests, grips, stuff like that.
Thanks for the correction.

Dan, You can get those bulbs all over ebay. In blue or white

The stator is always under 100 percent load (permanent magnet alternator, full field 100% of the time) and the regulator just dumps what it doesnt need essentially. The more power you use from the regulator, the less it has to dump and the less v-drop you get across the circuitry in there which leads to less heat. You would end up just draining the battery if you ran too much stuff off it.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

johnclemens

Ok I stand corrected, again.
Like I said I am no electrician.
Thanks.