Build thread on my Yamaha XZR650 racebike to a street bike. SELLING BIKE

Started by johnclemens, January 31, 2010, 02:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnclemens

Quote from: roro on January 05, 2013, 05:33:17 AM
Quote from: johnclemens on January 01, 2013, 09:32:20 AM
Only weird thing is it has to be mounted vertical for the alarm function to work.
Nice looking Unit - esp with m-button and the RFID m-lock.
Looks from manuals like that orientation issue was removed for the V2 do you have an old version?

I've got v2. The manual I got says if you have a centerstand you can mount it flat. If you have a side stand then it must be mounted vertical. This is only if you want the alarm.
I got the billet button switches too and they are trick. 8)

The Prophet of Doom

How strange.  Manual from motorgadget doesn't mention this
http://motogadget.com/media/downloads/manual/munit_v2_manual_en_3.1_k.pdf

Actually it specifies alarm works irrespective of orientation.  Must be a change they made after serial number 00005841

If I get one I won't want to be mounting it vertically so will need to be careful which one I buy - thanks for the heads-up

Rikugun

I'm not sure I get what advantages the unit offers. Is it just a matter of replacing electro mechanical bits with electronic bits? Does it eliminate other mechanical switches i.e. the standard switch gear for headlight, turn signals and brake lights?

Now if someone is inclined to purchase this I'm not sure how objective one can be but are the benefits worth the price?  Would it be more usefull for one type of riding over another like long distance touring versus a bar hopping fair weather boulevard cruiser? Can you comment on any real world convenience, safety or reliability benefits? Thanks.  :)
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Vandal171

That Motogadget is Brilliant! To be able to get all relay controls in one tiny box and then use CAN Bus tech to control it, wow! One of these would be perfect for building a custom bike because all your controls are in one compact spot that can be mounted anywhere. It doesn't get any easier. I wouldn't see a whole lot of reason to remove the stock wiring from a stock bike and replace it with one of these but for a scratch built custom this is perfect. Can't wait to see this project finished.
Bikes are my life.
Current stable:
1983 GL1100 Goldwing
1983 GPZ 1100 Dragbike
1982 Vision
1979 CB750 10th Anniversary
1979 CX500 Custom Cafe bike
1975 CB500T Hardtail Chopper

johnclemens

Ok I need some opinions.
no shroud at all?

Stock radiator shroud?
Or

A metal plate on the side of the radiator.
You have to use a little imagination, It can be any color
I would use some thick aluminum. Like 1/4 inch.

The pictures are just thin cardboard painted silver and black.

Vandal171

The stock shroud cleans up the area at the top of the radiator very nicely. A bit of gloss black on it and it would look good.
Bikes are my life.
Current stable:
1983 GL1100 Goldwing
1983 GPZ 1100 Dragbike
1982 Vision
1979 CB750 10th Anniversary
1979 CX500 Custom Cafe bike
1975 CB500T Hardtail Chopper

Rick G

John, I have been of the opinion that the shroud , or a reasonable facsimile , is necessary for proper cooling (at least in hotter climates) It collects more air and funnels it into the radiator, aside from protecting it.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

QBS

The Prophet of Doom

I like the "Stock", but notice you have trimmed the reflector mounts off.  Quite the improvement if you ask me.
I'll look at doing the same on mine.  Did you just cut and file that part off, or did you have to paint it to cover up the cut marks?

johnclemens

I Just cut em off. I do intend to paint it though.
I'm waiting till everything is done to paint anything.

I agree, stock is the way to go..

johnclemens

OK I have come to the realization I just don't have time in my life anymore to finish this bike.

I take delivery of my new KTM Superduke 1290 in a few weeks and have decide to move on from Visions.

I am selling this bike as a project needing to be finished. You could race it, turn it into a street bike or use parts.
It will include ALL vision stuff I have. and there is a bunch of good stuff.
Please read the beginning of the post to see what the engine has.
Briefly,
650cc (extra brand new pistons)
corillo Rods
Mega cycle full race cams
Chain Drive
80hp
Does not include wire wheels in pictures, Includes polished wheels in early pictures.

I am asking 5 grand.
I ask that you be serious if you want to discuss the details of the bike.
there is nothing wrong with the engine and is ready to run. Just needs the rest of the project finished.
Won the last race it was in.

Anyone interested?

The Prophet of Doom

Sometimes it sucks being on an island in the South Pacific.  I'd take it, except that getting it here would cost half that again or more.

Sorry to see you going John, your occasional posts have been quite inspirational.