News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Zzzzzzzzzz fixes!!!

Started by Tiger, February 05, 2010, 08:16:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiger

:) An age old problem with V-Twins is vibration...some worse than others.

I find, in most cases, that a well tuned/set up Vision will only suffer slightly from this problem, if at all... 8)

Here are some various ideas, that I use/have used, during my Vision rebuilds over the years, that can help stop your fingers/hands falling asleep... ;) 

1 x Changing your handlebar grips??? Great idea...However, BEFORE you install new ones, blow out the crap (dead spiders/webs, etc) out of the handle bars and then, (using a long nozzle, think plastic/rubber tube), fill the bars up with RTV caulking compound that you can buy at Home Depot/Home Hardware/Ace Hardware, etc... 8)

2 x A good set off new handlebar grips are worth paying for!!! Your choice of style, colour, $$, etc...They come in gel types, rubber, etc...I tend to go for the better quality foam grips...but again, your choice... 8)

3 x Brake and clutch levers. I went into my local bike shop (clothes and accessories only store) over the Christmas period (to find something for Cathy for Christmas) and found a set of foam brake/clutch lever grips!!! They are just foam tubes that slip over the levers and are intended for...you got it...the Hahahahaharley crowd!!!
I also use, good quality, black, heat shrink tube :o Laugh if you like  BUT...its rubber conforms exactly to the shape of the levers, gives you non slip grips, helps insulate from static and vibration...and is an instant cover over...no need to remove or waiting for paint to dry!!! Heat shrink does come in Various colours... 8)
(I have also used heat shrink on the handle, at the rear left side of the Vision, that helps you put your Vision on the centre stand)

These are some of MY fixes...but please feel free to add yours... ;)

8).......TIGER........ 8)

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Armored_Hearse

I like the idea of using heat shrink to cover the brake/clutch levers. Much easier than painting, and if it gets worn, you can cut it loose and install new.
Thanks for the tips!  --  John

lexx790

I've noticed that the vision has all metal joints from engine through to handle bars.
Perhaps a rubber joint somewhere would help.
My GS500 twin notorious for vibration has the bars mounted on rubber cushioning.

QBS

Keep in mind that the V uses the engine as a stressed frame member.

Night Vision

Quote from: Tiger on February 05, 2010, 08:16:38 AM
..... I went into my local bike shop (clothes and accessories only store) over the Christmas period (to find something for Cathy for Christmas) and found a set of foam brake/clutch lever grips!!!

so did Cathy like her foam lever grips?  ;D

I use tennis grip wrap over the stock grips... not too thick, but kinda cushy
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Tiger

Quote from: Night Vision on February 05, 2010, 06:59:13 PM
so did Cathy like her foam lever grips?  ;D

:angel: ...of course...not!! but I like them...LOL
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

Kenny

:D  I don't find the Vision vibrates much, both the R1150 (I no longer have) & the R100 Bmw vibrate far worse. I have lead inside the handle bars on the Visions  & I find this makes a difference but only after  a 12 hr day. Also Euro gearing lowers the rpms by about 500 which also makes a diffference.
   I have  been using  Dyna-beads in both tires instead of balancing wts, other than installing them they are great to use.
         ;)  Cheers Ken S.

2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

Re-Vision

Awhile back I was trying to find someone who had used beads in their motorcycle tires. Would like to know where you get the beads, how much do you need, and how much do they cost? Don't they just go into the valve stem?  Found a guy at a hotrod shop today who said he was fixing to order some Amsoil and would order me a case if I wanted, he's supposed to call me with the exact cost.   BDC

funkamongus

Kewl.. Let me know about the amsoil if you would.
I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

Tiger

Quote from: Armored_Hearse on February 05, 2010, 08:48:06 AM
I like the idea of using heat shrink to cover the brake/clutch levers. Much easier than painting, and if it gets worn, you can cut it loose and install new.
Thanks for the tips!  --  John

:) That's one of the reasons that I like it too... ;)

8)........TIGER........ 8)

67GTO

That heat shrink is a good idea, Thanks Tiger :)
" Like a dream he flies away, no more to be found,
banished like a Vision of the night."
                                                Job 20:8    NIV

akvision

1960 BMW R-50 "Hanz" reborn April 24, 2009 , Ketchikan
1982 "V" AKBluv, Denver, traded for BMW R1100S
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"
1977 BMW R75/7, Green Lantern Cafe Project
Deep In the INSIDE PASSAGE, Alaska

Raj1988

Found a guy in Ottawa who sold me his Throttlemeister 13oz Bar end weights off his FZR1 for a really good price. The mounting hardware is $15 plus shipping, Unless i want to thread the inside of the handlebars which i think costs more.
So cruise control and vibration dampener.
;D
Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution