News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

The first ride of 2010

Started by fiddlesticks, February 22, 2010, 08:12:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fiddlesticks

Went out yesterday for most of the afternoon.It was fresh, but there were many bikes out. Unfortunately my battery was pooched, but with a boost she fired right up and puuuuurrrrred like a kitten. I love that freaking bike  ;D
Rode for a couple hours around town, and stopped off for a much needed lunch of soup. Then headed home.

Any one else hit the pavement yesterday?
1 Black 82 Virago 750

"With Frongs like that you don't need anemones"

kev10104

I thought about it but saw that we are getting snow today and tomorrow so thought I better wait.I should have known you would be out though.

nwrider

Way up here in the far Northwest we've been having a super mild winter so I've been riding most days.  I commute daily about 15 miles one way.  I did get off the island Saturday for some higher speed testing of my new tires, (Avon Road Riders of stock size) to find that all of the handling woes have disappeared ;D  If anyone is considering new tires I highly recommend these.  The bike has near perfect handling and is completely neutral, simply goes where you point her and stays there until you point her another way. 
Lots of bikes out Saturday, nothing but sunshine, temps in the mid 50's, roads fairly clean, not too many cars, ....... 

Ben
First dirt: Hodaka Ace 100B
First street: Honda 150 Dream
First racer: '86 Honda 500 Interceptor
Most memorable:Kawasaki 350 triple, GSXR 750 limited edition
Current: '83 Vision

Brian Moffet

Quote from: nwrider on February 22, 2010, 09:52:36 AM
Way up here in the far Northwest we've been having a super mild winter so I've been riding most days

Yes, all of the rain you're supposed to get has sagged south to where I am.   But I did get to ride a couple of days into work last week, this week looks like a washout though...

Brian

Raj1988

Fiddlestix, i am jealous. my carbs are at cdnlouie's for cleaning. no ride for me  and now we have 3 inc of snow with  more to come
Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

fiddlesticks

U know me Kev. It was very spur of the moment. Wish I had called you though. I will next time I decide to do something crazy lol. It is now snowing >:(. I sure am glad I got a spin in yesterday.
1 Black 82 Virago 750

fiddlesticks

Quote from: nwrider on February 22, 2010, 09:52:36 AM
Way up here in the far Northwest we've been having a super mild winter so I've been riding most days.  I commute daily about 15 miles one way.  I did get off the island Saturday for some higher speed testing of my new tires, (Avon Road Riders of stock size) to find that all of the handling woes have disappeared ;D  If anyone is considering new tires I highly recommend these.  The bike has near perfect handling and is completely neutral, simply goes where you point her and stays there until you point her another way.  
Lots of bikes out Saturday, nothing but sunshine, temps in the mid 50's, roads fairly clean, not too many cars, .......  

Ben

OMG mID 50'S Not sure exactly what that is in english but I have a rough idea I think. I believe I speak for all of us who were out in 5 c when I say we are all jealous.
1 Black 82 Virago 750

vadasz1

50 farenheit is approximately 10 Celcius.  So you only have to be little more jealous. 

Mine is still apart in the shop being modded and fixed up some.  I just installed an HID system and also clearcoated my Hammertone Blue paint job.  Looks much better now.  Soon I will be like the rest of the Ontario gang............riding up to Tiger's den for some fixing of something.  8)
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

Tiger

:) Good for you Fid'...you and Canadian_Lou, who turned up at my door yesterday afternoon on his Vision :o wearing his "plugged in" vest and gloves...along with the rest of his gear!!! Kev10104 rode #16 up to the Oshawa Cycles for the safety last week!!! brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

Me, I spent Allllllllll day working on "The Mistress"...shes just about ready for the new season... that is just around THAT corner...somewhere ::) ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D... ;)

Ben...I keep telling all that listen...AVON, AVON, AVON...they are superb tires  8)

vad...I'll believe it when I see your Vision AND you on the road...been waiting, what, two years now LOL

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Raj1988

Have faith tiger, It took me a year and a bit :)
Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

Tiger

Quote from: Raj1988 on February 22, 2010, 06:07:43 PM
Have faith tiger, It took me a year and a bit :)

:) I've had Faith...and her two sisters, Hope and Charity...Mmmmmm, some great nights :o ;D :D :D :D :D :D... ;)... but now this cynical old fart believes in what he sees with his own eyes, what he fixes with his own hands and hard cash!!! Oh, and what my wife tells me... LOL

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

kev10104

I put AVON'S on last year and they are fantastic.I shoveeled the snow lastnight so I know it will be at least a couple days before I get out.I don't like riding with all that salt on the rode.I am laidoff from work right now so maybe I can take a bucket out and clean off some of the roads.Maybe I'll just wait.I told Tammy you were out and she was under the impreesion you ride through snowstorms.Just kidding.

lexx790

So which model of Avon tires are you all using ?

nwrider

I just installed a matched set of AM26 Roadrider's on my '83, stock size (110/90 rear, 100/90 front).  28 psi front, 32 rear.  I weigh about 175 with full riding gear on.  I have ATF in the forks, no air.  Rear spring preload is lowest and dampening is middle setting.  With this set up the bike has perfectly neutral handling characteristics and zero head shake, regardless of anything I can do to her.  Previous set up was Dunlop 120/90 on the rear with stock size front.  Can't remember the model but I'll go look if anyone is curious.  This set up made me wonder if I was going to keep the bike.  Serious head shake.  Absolutely had to keep one hand on the bars and a firm grip too because it would start to shake the moment I removed the first hand.  Also, she would "fall" into corners regardless of the speed, accelerating or decelerating.  I've never had a bike that had to be ridden so carefully, requiring such constant control.  With the new set of Avons the bike has a sure and confident feel.  Tried the tires today in the wet, I like them!

Ben
First dirt: Hodaka Ace 100B
First street: Honda 150 Dream
First racer: '86 Honda 500 Interceptor
Most memorable:Kawasaki 350 triple, GSXR 750 limited edition
Current: '83 Vision

fiddlesticks

Quote from: kev10104 on February 23, 2010, 09:30:52 AM
I put AVON'S on last year and they are fantastic.I shoveeled the snow lastnight so I know it will be at least a couple days before I get out.I don't like riding with all that salt on the rode.I am laidoff from work right now so maybe I can take a bucket out and clean off some of the roads.Maybe I'll just wait.I told Tammy you were out and she was under the impreesion you ride through snowstorms.Just kidding.

Great idea. Get out there snowblowing buddy. Better yet, take a heat gun to all of the snow you lay your eyes on lol.
1 Black 82 Virago 750

kev10104

Believe me I have thought of that.I use the hair dryer to warm up everything and thought about using that as well.

Tiger

:) Hooyaaaaa, got out for my first ride of the season today...and "The Mistress" ran like a well oiled machine should... 8)
Kev10104 & Tammy came up to my place and we headed out for brunch in Guelph. That done, we went over to Zdeno's in Kitchener for a snoop around their bike grave yard and the store... 8) rode over to Royal Distributing in Guelph for a look around the store for any bargains and then dropped over to TwoWheel Sports just out of Guelph on Hwy 6 heading to Fergus.

Not a huge amount of miles done, however, given that its still officially winter here in the frozen north and we still have a fair bit of snow around, the roads are clear and dry, and we had a fun time.
The temp' was around 4c or 5c (approx' 43f), there wasn't a cloud in a clear blue sky and the sun was sure bright...so, with the right gear on, we were not cold at all.

Thanks Kev and Tammy for a great day out... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Night Vision

I was waiting to hear if you fur balls got out today.

good job!
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Re-Vision

Felt like spring here in Texas, went for a ride also. Man I love this spring like weather, hope everyone is on the road soon.    BDC

kev10104

It was a great day,can't wait to do it again.Today is supposed to be better weather wise but I have a nephew's birthday party to go to.I feel kinda guilty because I have thought of sending the rest of the family while I go riding.