Road ready again...

Started by Tiger, March 07, 2010, 10:10:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiger

:) Here in Southern Ontario, part of the frozen white tundra, better known as Canada :o ::) the winter is abating, the sun is shining, we have blue skies, plus temps...spring is just around the corner.

Those who have a similar off season, use this period to do all the fun stuff!!!...upgrades, touch ups, "fixes", general maintenance and for some, rebuilds...to while away the winter period.

This winter, I have done three "Resurrections"...two for resale (one sold, the other now advertised on Craig's List/BuySell/Kijiji) and one for a new rider...I have another almost complete and should be ready for a new owner in the next few weeks... 8)

..and I have managed to get some work done to "The Mistress"...before yesterdays "out-of-hibernation-shake-down-ride...which went superbly well for bike and rider ;)

* Air leak in rear tire proved to be a faulty valve stem. Tire was removed, rim cleaned, new valve installed along with the tire and...VOILA!!!
* While the rear wheel was off, I serviced the rear brake assembly, installed new brake bar bolts and repainted the rear swing arm/drive.
* The large Give hard bags were removed and...(acquired over a year ago from my local bike wreckers!!) a set of Krauser brackets, (repaired and repainted) installed. The bags where given a good scrub in the laundry tub, dried and clipped on to the frames.
* New spark plugs installed.
* A new thermostat installed.

...and today she will get an oil change after a quick ride out... 8)

:) My question is...WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO YOUR VISION LATELY ??? ??? ???

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Raj1988

Quote from: Tiger on March 07, 2010, 10:10:21 AM

* The large Give hard bags were removed and...(acquired over a year ago from my local bike wreckers!!) a set of Krauser brackets, (repaired and repainted) installed. The bags where given a good scrub in the laundry tub, dried and clipped on to the frames.

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Come on, lets see some Pics,

I have serviced rear brake drum
Cleaned and re-greased Front wheel bearings
Installed 83 front end( thanks tiger)
Steel braided brake lines
1/2 way thru bleeding the brakes(PITA with 82 MC from dry)
Tapered steering head bearings
3M electrical tape around wire harness after cleaning all connections
Moved VR to a better cooling position
Cleaned tank inside
Made a new seat( Feels horrid, I'll have to re do it or succumb and send it out to Tiger's Seat guy)

Ahh, that's it for now. Waiting on carbs to come back from Service,
Waiting for warmer days to reline the tank and paint the fairing.

Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

arthurdent510

I put the 2 halves of my motor back together this morning  ;D  Slowly making progress towards having a running vision again!  With my luck, it'll be running again just in time for Phoenix's 110 degree weather...  :P

Raj1988

Also New gel grips
Shiny clean carbs from our Carb Gur c_lou
New RED tank with no rust and Kreem in OK condition insi

Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

Night Vision

I'm waiting for more rear brake shoes so I can finish putting my new Avons and gold rims on....  :P stupidhead :P eBayer sent me scooter shoes  >:(
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Lucky

Hey Tiger who/what bike got that set of 82 carbs i polished & signed?
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

inanecathode

Looked at it.

Looked at it covered with snow.

Looked at it with snow melting.

Looked at it with no snow.

Looked at it with snow again.

Looked at it with snow melting again.

:'(
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

seabee

Rebuilt starter.
Replaced Battery.
Redid connections on starter solenoid.
Changed oil in crankcase and rear (K&N filter).
New Headlight (Much Brighter)

***1982 Yamaha XZ 550 Vision***

vadasz1

Installed auxiliary fan switch (because looks like temperature seder is kaput)
Installed relay & swtch for auxilaiary driving lights
Installed HID lighting
lubed clutch, throttle and enricher cables
Had new tires installed late last year
painted the foot peg brackets (the aluminium ones) black with a hammertone blue stripe in the grooves and also clearcoated
Still have to drain motor oil

Then go for a test ride

Then have her christened with a new name
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

Tiger

Quote from: Lucky on March 24, 2010, 08:59:53 PM
Hey Tiger who/what bike got that set of 82 carbs i polished & signed?

...#12
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

don_vanecek

don_vanecek

Night Vision

ah, it is a bit longer eh? let us know what you think
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

fret not

And how soon you gonna check it out?  You know, for a test ride.  Inquiring minds you know.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

inanecathode

Quote from: fret nut on March 28, 2010, 12:27:12 AM
And how soon you gonna check it out?  You know, for a test ride.  Inquiring minds you know.

Dunno about dons, but i went from a non-blown up 83 shock to the yzf600 shock and i was fairly chuffed. Went from all over the damn place and god-help-you-if-theres-bumps-in-that-turn to solid as a rock in the tightest of bumpy turns i wouldnt dare trying before. It's done fairly interesting things to the rake on the front end too. A little quicker to turn, and it's exaggerated my out of adjustment steering head (still on the first tightening of tapered rollers, takes a while for them to bed in apparently).

Having about 300lbs extra of preload i'll never use is nice too, i suppose. Only down side i've found so far is having to bring a piece of 2x4 with me everywhere, bikes about 2.5 inches taller now. Not for the short folks, this.
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.

funkamongus

I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

Kenny

Disassemble x 2 for vadasz1 to paint! :D unable to assemble due work requirements on the Wet (west) coast. grr. ;D
           Ken.S
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

shep1

Hi everyone..Purchased my 82 in late fall but still managed to put some km's on before winter here in S.ONT..What awesome weather..had my last ride the 1st weekend of November.. 8).Have removed tank to have rust repaired..coated inside and baked..primed and ready for base/clear coat along with fairing..Had seat recovered..looks great..a little more cosmetic work..cracked signal light covers..etc..hope to have it back together in the next 2 weeks..making sure to do it right..as it deserves..chat later..shep1 :)

lexx790

Quote from: Tiger on March 07, 2010, 10:10:21 AM
8).......TIGER....... 8)

Easier to say what I have still to do.
The Vision is mechanically back together.
This weekend the oil and water were put back in and a new battery charge and put in place.
I used a temporary fuel tank from a spare overflow bottle.
I done all the checks I could think about then time to press the start button.....
After a few minutes of spluttering..............she lives.
Had her running for 10 mins, so i'm well chuffed.
Freed the clutch by putting it in gear pulling in the clutch and jamming on the rear brake.
Now need to get some new tyres, get tank, fairing and bits painted and we're nearly there.

don_vanecek

Well I have now ridden the bike, it rides very nice, the rear end is somewhat elevated, it's just a first impression but it did seem like bumps I would feel in the front forks I didn't feel at all in the rear-but I need more riding time. However this maynot be for everyone, first, short people may not want to try this you could be on tippy toes at the stop light, second, the center stand barely works, you will see in the picture that I parked it using a 2x8 and as Ina previously stated, you want to use a piece of 2x4 with the side stand, third, see the crow bars on the floor, I needed those to install it and for awhile I wasn't sure I would ever get it done.  But, it sure rides nice, I'm really interested to see how it will do with a passenger and the material was resonably priced.  Time will tell, here's a last picture.