News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

I blew up my car ><

Started by inanecathode, March 11, 2010, 01:57:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

inanecathode

I finally managed to blow up the motor in my beetle.

20-30k miles after i rebuilt it ><

Only question now is where i go from here. New car? Naw, new problems. Another aircooled plant? Money out the window when i go to upgrade. Start on the subaru conversion? Maybe, but i have no idea how long it might take, or if i even can manage it.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Lucky

Invest in heated & rain gear & ride the bike! :>
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Walt_M.

Wait a minute! Only FBI agents and serial killers drive beetles...
Whale oil beef hooked!

67GTO

I believe H2O knows a thing or two about beetle air cooled engines.
" Like a dream he flies away, no more to be found,
banished like a Vision of the night."
                                                Job 20:8    NIV

Re-Vision

Got what you deserved for driving an air-cooled vehicle, if God had wanted us to drive Volkswagens he wouldn't have provided Visions.   BDC

don_vanecek

Oh man, what bummer. I noticed there's a 65 Chevy sitting in the driveway waiting for some TLC.

inanecathode

Quote from: Re-Vision on March 11, 2010, 08:29:13 AM
Got what you deserved for driving an air-cooled vehicle, if God had wanted us to drive Volkswagens he wouldn't have provided Visions.   BDC

If god wanted us to drive visions he would have had them made for 55 years running  ;)

Don: Yes, that's my dad's caprice (good catch on the 65). He got it from one of his friends (passed now) who's only stipulation in selling it to my dad was that he never sell it. It's a project i really want to get to at some point, but other things keep popping up. It runs and drives, or used to a couple years ago. Just needs a thorough carb cleaning (little tiny single barrel on that 283), probably a tranny reseal, and some exhaust work. Obviously paint too.

Well, my ultimate goal for the car is to convert it over to water cooled with a subaru plant. I've already got a radiator in the car (more of a 'there, now i have to do it' mod), i've got the engine in my garage (ej22 out of a 96 legacy). The conundrum (or is it corundum?) i'm mulling over is if i should bother with another aircooled engine, considering the whole plan was to put the car out of commission in the spring and start the subaru project.

Slept on it, and i'm pretty sure i'm just going to start on the subaru project in lieu of a temporary at best air cooled swap again.

Tiger

What exactly do you mean by blown?? Some of those older Beetles had problems with the valves... ::)

You can always drop a Porsche engine in!!! 924/944, I don't remember which one we transplanted now. Bugger, I hate getting old (er!!)... :P

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

vadasz1

924/944 were front engines weren't they.  So if you wanted a rear engine upgrade then you would have to goto a 911 and possibly the ones from the early 70'2 could fit in nicely.
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

Re-Vision

Porsches are air cooled, go with Subaru.   BDC

inanecathode

Jesus dude, if i could afford a 911 engine i could probably afford a 911 :D

For what i'm using this car for, i think water cooled is the way to go.

I may be wrong, but im pretty close to wrapping up the electrical harness for the engine.... I dunno, i have to trace out some stuff but really i just have to find out where a few wires go, then get a fuse panel made up and i should be good to go. I wish i had a camera, it's pretty scary looking haha.

Tiger

:) Hmmmmmmm, on second thoughts...I believe it was the 914/4 which was, initially, a VW engine designed by Porsche and built mostly from the VW parts bins!!
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Night Vision

Quote from: Tiger on March 11, 2010, 08:49:24 PM
:) Hmmmmmmm, on second thoughts...I believe it was the 914/4 which was, initially, a VW engine designed by Porsche and built mostly from the VW parts bins!!

yep, they also put a boxer 6 taken from the 1969 911T in the 914-6... pumping out a whopping 110 HP!

the 924's mostly had Opel engines... the 944 had a Porsche engine... both were front mounted and water cooled 4 cyls

my '85 944 pumped around 160hp...  amazing huh? a modern 750cc motorcycle does 100hp plus, and liter bikes have close to 200hp..

I say find a wrecked BUSA and put the injun in whatever 'yer concocting Inane
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

inanecathode

Quote from: Night Vision on March 11, 2010, 09:40:47 PM
Quote from: Tiger on March 11, 2010, 08:49:24 PM

yep, they also put a boxer 6 taken from the 1969 911T in the 914-6... pumping out a whopping 110 HP!

the 924's mostly had Opel engines... the 944 had a Porsche engine... both were front mounted and water cooled 4 cyls

my '85 944 pumped around 160hp...  amazing huh? a modern 750cc motorcycle does 100hp plus, and liter bikes have close to 200hp..

I say find a wrecked BUSA and put the injun in whatever 'yer concocting Inane

I'd blow up a busa engine pretty quick. Bike engines make lots of horse power, but very little torque and low rpm. Trying to lug around a 3000# car with an engine that's intended for a 300# bike isnt a great idea. It's actually been done before, and basically what happens is it sounds really cool, but accelerates pretty slugishly, and eventually strips every meaningful gear drive in the engine case.

Subaru would be going from 60hp on a good day to 160hp every day :)

Re-Vision

The first Honda cars I saw here in Houston were powered by their 750cc motorcycle engine.   BDC

don_vanecek

So would you be the first person to do this or do you have instructions from someone who has done it?

Well either way wish you good luck with the project.

If you can overhaul a Vision carb the little two barrel off that old 283 is easy. but like you said there are probably multi problems that would need to be handled if a person was really going to make it a daily runner.

Hopefully the weather here in NE is going to gets tolerable next week and I will start on my shock change project! Had to shoval snow off the driveway before coming to work Thursday. One of those days it was slick as sh-t for a few hours in the morning, just wet the rest of the day if you didn't manage to wreck your car in the morning drive.

Night Vision

new shock Don? whatcha got goin' ??
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

inanecathode

Quote from: don_vanecek on March 12, 2010, 10:57:13 AM
So would you be the first person to do this or do you have instructions from someone who has done it?

Well either way wish you good luck with the project.

If you can overhaul a Vision carb the little two barrel off that old 283 is easy. but like you said there are probably multi problems that would need to be handled if a person was really going to make it a daily runner.

Hopefully the weather here in NE is going to gets tolerable next week and I will start on my shock change project! Had to shoval snow off the driveway before coming to work Thursday. One of those days it was slick as sh-t for a few hours in the morning, just wet the rest of the day if you didn't manage to wreck your car in the morning drive.

Oh, subaru swaps are really really popular. The subaru boxer is kinda a spiritual successor to the acvw plant anyway. Flat four pushrod, just water cooled. Shit got real once they started with the OHC, i've got the first gen basically of those first OHC engines. The ej22, started in 1990, and quit in 2000 i believe, when they went to the ej25, 2.5L DOHC gas sucking valve monster. The ej22 is probably the best of any engine subaru has made as far as reliability is concerned. Good power output, but not enough to start eating up parts.

I'm almost done with the wiring harness, i just have to make a little board where my fuses and relays go, then make some pigtails for the car harness to graft into it. In a nut shell, fused power goes to relay, switching power comes from computer, switched load goes out to the fuel pump, all is happy.

jasonm.

AN older Vmax engine can fit anywhere.  Just need to route plumbing for radiator and mate the shaft to the rear end somehow.  Oh, yamaha's shafts are all pretty much the same...it's the rears that are slightly different.  Nothing like a rachet transmission in a car.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

inanecathode

Quote from: jasonm. on March 14, 2010, 11:31:35 AM
AN older Vmax engine can fit anywhere.  Just need to route plumbing for radiator and mate the shaft to the rear end somehow.  Oh, yamaha's shafts are all pretty much the same...it's the rears that are slightly different.  Nothing like a rachet transmission in a car.

Wouldn't work. It'd overheat, or completely strip out the transmission. The middle drive on a vmax is probably already stressed pretty hard, i wonder how it would do with two and a half thousand more pounds of load on it.

Horsepower sells cars and bikes just fine, but torque is what actually gets the car moving down the road. You can advertise massive horsepower if your engine spins fast enough, because it's making several hundred torque events a second at near peak rpm. That's great for a bike because it doesnt weigh hardly anything, and can actually get up into the proper rpms in a hurry. Add several thousand pounds onto the bike and it'll struggle to get into power producing territory, unless it's geared extremely low or has a bajillion speed transmission.

To have an engine anything like a motorcycle, you'd need a very light car, or a special transmission. Honda's pre-cvcc wasnt a motorcycle engine, it was an inline watercooled four that was made for that car. Snowmobiles are very heavy, and have a relatively underpowered engine, but they get by because they have a special transmission to harness high rpm peak power pulling something very heavy.

Anyway. Almost done with the electronic parts, just have to make a board and mount up the computer, fuse box, relays, and zip up some wires :)