News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

I blew up my car ><

Started by inanecathode, March 11, 2010, 01:57:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fret not

I think RE Vision is referring to the Honda 600 series.  They made a N600 (1970, '71)and  Z600 (1972), both air cooled twins.  they also made a 400 cc version for the orient.  I had an N600 and though it looked very tiny from the outside it was rather roomy inside, not cramped at all.  The back seat was another story.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

inanecathode

Quote from: fret nut on March 15, 2010, 12:32:06 AM
I think RE Vision is referring to the Honda 600 series.  They made a N600 (1970, '71)and  Z600 (1972), both air cooled twins.  they also made a 400 cc version for the orient.  I had an N600 and though it looked very tiny from the outside it was rather roomy inside, not cramped at all.  The back seat was another story.

Those things are ridiculously collectible. How come old crappy underpowered hondas are collectible but visions sit under tarps and rot...
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

fret not

67GTO

" Like a dream he flies away, no more to be found,
banished like a Vision of the night."
                                                Job 20:8    NIV

Re-Vision

What was the first year Honda came out with the CVCC engine? That was the year I bought a Honda station wagon about the same color orange as the one pictured below.It was a great engine, their sorry add-on air conditioning as kept me from buying another Honda car all these years since.   BDC

inanecathode

1975 iirc. Rediculously good emissions without using a cat.

fret not

Yes, CVCC Civic came out in '75, the year California required the first catalytic converters, which the CVCC engine didn't need but had to have in CA.  It's the law you know. ::)  I was working in a Honda dealership at the time and remember it well.

The add on air was the only air available for the first while, originally supplied by a couple of aftermarket manufacturers, then Honda started supplying it, but it still had to be installed after the fact rather than at the factory.  The installation could make or break the functionality and dependability of the air conditioning system.  It all got a lot better when the factory started installing the air.  Move to the present and you just about can't go wrong with a Honda car.

Brian Moffet

My wife (she wasn't at the time) had a small Honda Civic CVCC,  Tiny thing.  If I recall, it had these press-in fittings that swirled the intake mixture in the cylinder, and occasionally they would rotate for some odd reason.  They did that with hers.  I think it was a 76.

However, it was not smaller than my current car

1976 Honda Civic  Wheel base 86.6 inches, length 139.8 inches
2009 smart fortwo Wheel base 73.5 inches, length 106.1 inches

Brian

fret not

The early Civics were small but the 600s were smaller.

CVCC = compound vortex controlled combustion

Tiger

Quote from: fret nut on March 17, 2010, 01:14:28 AM
CVCC = compound vortex controlled combustion

::) A Honda YICS!!!!
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Re-Vision

Maybe a Yamaha CVCC.   BDC

Ron_McCoy

I had an N600, the sedan. It was the most fun to drive of any car I ever had. I had to run tubes in the tires because I kept breaking the beads loose doing parking brake turns. The weak link was the clutch pressure plate spring.It would break between the fingers and the clutch would start to slip. I learned to carry one with me. I could change it by the road in about 15 minutes. It was accessed on the side of the engine and could be reached from under the hood. Very small hands, which I don't have, would have been nice when working on the car. There were a lot of parts that were easy to see, but difficult to work on because everything was so close together.

inanecathode

Blew up my bosses 85 cherokee two days ago too!

Went all toyota on me, the pedal stuck under the floormat, i shut it off real quick. Not quick enough, apparently, as about 5 minutes later one of the rod bearings started up like a freakin jackhammer. 2.8v6 though, nothing of value was lost.

fret not

Dude!  You're hard on vehicles! 

inanecathode

Quote from: fret nut on March 29, 2010, 12:05:04 AM
Dude!  You're hard on vehicles! 

Hey, im not the one who repeatedly ran it low enough on oil for the light to come on.

YellowJacket!

Quote from: 67GTO on March 16, 2010, 08:01:07 AM
Could this be what your talking about? :)

http://www.oldcarsweekly.com/article/1972_Honda_Z600/

They have one of those on display at my local Honda dealer in cherry condition..

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Ron_McCoy

Here's a possible solution. Using the center hub from a clutch disc, make up a shaft to drive the transmission input shaft. Mount his shaft in pillow blocks and use it for chain drives from chain saw motors. It shouldn't take more than 20 or 30 motors for the kind of power you would want and you could always run just a few of them if you were on an economy cruise. You already have 2 stroke experience so maintenance should be a snap. There would be other benefits as well. Premix will ensure that your tank won't rust. Air cooling will keep you from having to mount a radiator. You'll soon have bulging arm muscles from pull starting all those engines so you can save on gym memberships as well as getting good and warmed up before  each drive to make up for having no real heater in the car. You might even be able to get a subsidy from the state for your efforts in mosquito abatement from the smoky exhaust. Best of all, the sound of all those chainsaw engines wailing down the road would be like no other car in the world especially if you run expansion chambers. Be sure not to get your fingers in the chains!  :D :D ;)

inanecathode

Quote from: Ron_McCoy on March 30, 2010, 01:29:14 PM
Here's a possible solution. Using the center hub from a clutch disc, make up a shaft to drive the transmission input shaft. Mount his shaft in pillow blocks and use it for chain drives from chain saw motors. It shouldn't take more than 20 or 30 motors for the kind of power you would want and you could always run just a few of them if you were on an economy cruise. You already have 2 stroke experience so maintenance should be a snap. There would be other benefits as well. Premix will ensure that your tank won't rust. Air cooling will keep you from having to mount a radiator. You'll soon have bulging arm muscles from pull starting all those engines so you can save on gym memberships as well as getting good and warmed up before  each drive to make up for having no real heater in the car. You might even be able to get a subsidy from the state for your efforts in mosquito abatement from the smoky exhaust. Best of all, the sound of all those chainsaw engines wailing down the road would be like no other car in the world especially if you run expansion chambers. Be sure not to get your fingers in the chains!  :D :D ;)

Haha :P

I wish i had a camera, i have some pictures of the intake and alternator flopping i did.