News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Depressing Valve lifter tool.

Started by sapienwaste, September 01, 2008, 04:32:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

motoracer8

I'll check and see what material costs will be, the programing I can do, and see the minimum I can make. I don't need a bunch of them laying around. I've used the one I have 4/5 times in 20 years.

Ken
83 Vision and 11 others, Japanese, German and British

fret not

Ken, how long have you been working with CNC?  I nearly got a CNC router table about 10 years ago, but didn't.  Still doing everything by hand.  With the combination of the economy, time left, and money I think it is probably too late for me to get back into it. 
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

motoracer8

Mike, I have a friend that teaches CAD/CAM programing, and he showed me the basics. I've learned machine shop skills over the last 50 years in the motorcycle and car repair business. I have friends with CNC equipment that I can get alittle time on when I need it.

That little tool may not be cost effective to make on automatic equipment unless I make alot of them, and to make a few on a standard mill would take too much time.

CNC equipment is a big investment, and you have to keep them busy to justify the cost, if you were going to make 100's of pieces, numeric equipment is the thing to have.   I'm retired now but I still like to putter around a machine shop from time to time. I have a lathe, and welding equipment at home but sometimes a man just to put his hands on a milling machine.

Ken
83 Vision and 11 others, Japanese, German and British

supervision

I, think their making them again,    I tried to order one about a couple years ago, they called back, said NLA. I said that's ok,  then about a year later the shop call's and say's your not going to believe it, the tool came in !   Part # 35-3470  still in the bag, I haven't even opened the bag yet. The price was close to 60 bucks.   
" border="0

funkamongus

Man, if you'd have said 30 I woulda jumped. 60??? Nah....
I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

funkamongus

WE, the ROV unit, should buy one or two from MOTO when he makes them and have them available like a library book. Check one out for 2 weeks for 10 bucks or something... I think most are honorable enough to do that. Hell, I borrowed one from here and sent it back. Oh wait, That means about 20 bucks round trip in mail fees... Hmmm. Might as well spend 30 and buy one. Crap, well I tried!!!
I own:

fret not

Every owner should have one.  Otherwise you have to take the cams out to change the clearances.

funkamongus

Do you have one mike?? You're close by.. maybe we could split one and you could hold it.. If you already have one, maybe I can buy half and borrow it when Im ready or something. Anyway, regardless of all that, youre close!! we should ride at the very least.. Hwy 49 is one of my faves.
I own:

Tiger

Quote from: fret nut on March 28, 2010, 12:17:31 AM
Every owner should have one.

...Yep and I do  ;D...8)...not that I have ever used it :o  ;)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Brian Moffet

funkamongus

I had one sent to me once from someone here, I wasnt actually ready at that time to use it, I paid shipping round trip. It was VERY nice and VERY trusting of that person to do that. The whole thing is shipping. with gas being what it is and shipping costs going up, its better to have one in riding distance, where it can be handed off rather easily, or just to buy one. If the cost of this one is right, I'll be getting one!! If not, I'll be looking around!! HAHAHA... I cant afford to buy one in a jewelry st- uh, stealersh- uh, dealership.

PS anyone else notice the "depressing" nature of this thread!! hahaha im just full of it, huh?!?!?!?!
I own:

fret not

Yeah, I don't have one of those depression tools, but will get one somehow even if I have to make it.  It's only metal after all.  Grinders and files, a little Dykem or equivalent and whatever touch up as needed.  It ain't rocket surgery but it will take time.  I'm waiting for Ken to respond whether he can do a CNC batch or not.